so i have an interview for an assistant engi spot next week... advice please

DeuceyBaby

• Members

the times offered were early monday morning starting 9AM and the day before thanksgiving (wednesday) starting 6 PM. assuming normal studio operation hours, which one would be preferable?

I know I dont have to show up in a 3 piece suit. I will probably sport a button up dress shirt and plain black jeans. I figured all I need is a resume (with references included) and a CD with some of my self recorded/produced work on it.

anyone have any advice?

• Moderators

Studio? Size? Market? Pay Range?

Don't wear jeans....too casual, wear slacks...wrinkle free khakis...

Don't go in acting like you already know everything, even if you do. ;)

Be polite, sit forward on the chair, do not cross your legs, make eye contact and ask logical questions.

Do not ask about money, do not ask about anything except the actual job itself.

• Members

I agree with daddy

jeans are too casual

personally, I'd go with a sportcoat...it fits into a wide range of levels and it's easy to modulate by taking it on-off

I think it's too common to think in black and white "3 piece suit" (almost dismissively) OR "jeans"

and leave out a whole range of business dress that is, well the bulk of "business casual"

even if other people may be dressed more casually than you - even if you wanna rock

this is an initial meeting for a job...err one level up on formality. It's OK to be dressed more formally than your interviewer (you are a guest and you are under scrutiny)

it's not OK to be dressed a level down.

It's a first date, have your edge honed - it shows diligence and respect

Do your basic research on the operation (yes, they are a studio - but do they have particular services or a particular market niche?, etc)

Just a personal style thing (other approaches may work for others) - I pref "work with" as opposed to "work for"

not to try to alter the heirarchy -- but I think it helps frame things as "I'm interested in the work and enthusiastic about the opportunity." as opposed to "I want a job"

it's really just a minor point that is a reflection of what daddy was talking about with the body language -- you want to show that you are interested and engaged.

• Members

the times offered were early monday morning starting 9AM and the day before thanksgiving (wednesday) starting 6 PM. assuming normal studio operation hours, which one would be preferable?

I know I dont have to show up in a 3 piece suit. I will probably sport a button up and plain black jeans. I figured all I need is a resume (with references included) and a CD with some of my self recorded/produced work on it.

anyone have any advice?

Jeans? Really? Come on.

Always wear a suit - or pressed shirt and tie and slacks at the least - to a job interview. That's my rule. Even for something like this. I don't care if you're looking to man the register at McDonalds. A suit is ALWAYS appropriate for a job interview. It signals that you're a professional and serious about the position. You'll stand out from the other candidates too. This is a serious recession, dude. No time to be lax.

So get your ass to Target if you don't have a suit and you're tight on dough. You can get something off the rack for $70 - $100 bucks. It ain't fancy but it gets the job done.

And yeah - make sure you're well-groomed too. Tie your hair back if its long. Or get it nicely cut if your not. Be well shaven.

These things matter.

• Members

Always wear a suit - or pressed shirt and tie and slacks at the least - to a job interview. That's my rule. Even for something like this. I don't care if you're looking to man the register at McDonalds. A suit is ALWAYS appropriate for a job interview. It signals that you're a professional and serious about the position. You'll stand out from the other candidates too. This is a serious recession, dude. No time to be lax.

+1,000

A suit is not always necessary (but Mat's right at least a pressed dress shirt, tie and dress slacks, throw some polish on those shoes if they're lookin rugged), but if you plan on having a "career" at that studio, you've got to look sharp and play the part of a sophisticated and enthusiastic employee.

• Members

+1,000

A suit is not always necessary (but Mat's right at least a pressed dress shirt, tie and dress slacks, throw some polish on those shoes if they're lookin rugged), but if you plan on having a "career" at that studio, you've got to look sharp and play the part of a sophisticated and enthusiastic employee.

++

How you conduct & present yourself (including how you dress) shows a prospective employer how much you respect him/her as well as his/her customers. Dressing at or above their level is a sign of respect. Wearing a suit pretty much guarantees that you'll achieve that. I've knocked people's socks off, showing up in a suit when they didn't expect it. In general, what you want to do is stand out from what may be a large group of applicants, in a positive way to the prospective employer.

However, it's always a good idea to "case the joint" in advance. See how people look around there (employees & customers). Find out where the front door is, where you can park, how long it takes you to get there, etc. so that you can be on time to your interview ("on time" means being there & ready to go 5-10 minutes before the scheduled time).

If there's any way of avoiding it, I also wouldn't show up with visible tattoos or a faceful of fishing tackle. If you want to make a statement, that statement should be, "I respect you; I respect your customers; I'm enthusiastic, ready, & able to do the job at a high level!"

JM

• Members

I'm not one for being picky on formality, but I was out talking to our receptionist yesterday and a younger guy came in with a nice suit, but wearing darkish brown tennies with some light tan designs on them.

Seems weird to get the suit out of storage but then put on the casual kicks.

• Members

+1,000

I love how you've curbed my name in deference to the great Russel Crowe. That's great.

Maybe a suit's not always necessary. Not anymore. But it's always appropriate. Certainly classy.

I know I sound like an old Curmudgeon. I'm not even that old - but what the hell happened to common etiquette? You've got bozos having full-voiced cell-phone conversations at the Movies. On elevators. Jackasses crowding cross-walks between the lights. Not to mention stupid dimwits texting while driving! While {censored}ing driving!!!! Fatsos refusing to buy two seats on the airplane. Fork it over porky!!! I don't want to rub up against your gross soft chubby arm for three hours. Losers that can't lay off the cell phones at rock shows and movies. That stupid light is blinding the rest of us jerkwads.

And people wearing jeans to job interviews?

• Members

I know I sound like an old Curmudgeon. I'm not even that old - but what the hell happened to common etiquette? You've got bozos having full-voiced cell-phone conversations at the Movies. On elevators. Jackasses crowding cross-walks between the lights. Not to mention stupid dimwits texting while driving! While {censored}ing driving!!!! Fatsos refusing to buy two seats on the airplane. Fork it over porky!!! I don't want to rub up against your gross soft chubby arm for three hours. Losers that can't lay off the cell phones at rock shows and movies. That stupid light is blinding the rest of us jerkwads.

As technology and society progresses, it follows that there are more ways for stupid people to make themselves known.

• Members

So get your ass to Target if you don't have a suit and you're tight on dough. You can get something off the rack for $70 - $100 bucks. It ain't fancy but it gets the job done.

At that pricepoint (and even there it's going to be tough) I'd strongly suggest going blazer or sportcoat (but certainly not with jeans)

The sportcoat will give you more latitude in terms of what accouterments you can use with it (from shirt to belt to shoes)

Also, the fit/tailoring is a larger part of the presentation in a suit than in a sportcoat, and at that pricepoint we aren't gonna get any tailoring at all, not to mention the general cut is going to be pretty poor at that level and a suit will highlight that.

• Members

At that pricepoint (and even there it's going to be tough) I'd strongly suggest going blazer or sportcoat (but certainly not with jeans)

The sportcoat will give you more latitude in terms of what accouterments you can use with it (from shirt to belt to shoes)

Also, the fit/tailoring is a larger part of the presentation in a suit than in a sportcoat, and at that pricepoint we aren't gonna get any tailoring at all, not to mention the general cut is going to be pretty poor at that level and a suit will highlight that.

I thought about that - the price point. Every man should own a suit. Period. Even a cheap one. (A cheap man, and a cheap suit...) I don't care what you do for a living. Funerals. Weddings. (that's another one of my manners gripes. What's with guys not wearing suits to weddings these days? Last wedding I went to, there was a dickweed in a POLO Shirt and Khakis. It was a church wedding followed with fancy dinner at a Mansion. LOSER!!!) JOB INTERVIEWS. Hell, even a first date to a fancy restaurant. $70 to $100 is cheap cheap cheap for such a necessary and versatile item. Buy the suit for the interview. Get it pressed and break it out for special occassions.

On the sport jacket. I want to be there with you. I see what you're saying. But I don't know. That seems like such a toolio move. Especially if you're not wearing a tie. I mean, come on. ARe you Sonny Crocket? Seriously. Only guys that can get away with the sport-jacket no tie look? Brad Pitt and George Clooney. Seriously. That move works if you're super handsome movie star type walking the red carpet. It makes the rest of us look like low-rate lazy slobs.

A cheap suit is just fine. I hear what you're saying about the fit of a suit. Double the amount your willing to spend and you can get something that works just fine from Filene's Basement, or even Marshalls. I got my first jobs in New York media wearing $300 suits. Nobody's looking that closely at the cut of your suit. Just make sure it's not TOO out of whack and you'll be fine.

• Members

I thought about that - the price point. Every man should own a suit. Period. Even a cheap one. (A cheap man, and a cheap suit...) I don't care what you do for a living. Funerals. Weddings. (that's another one of my manners gripes. What's with guys not wearing suits to weddings these days? Last wedding I went to, there was a dickweed in a POLO Shirt and Khakis. It was a church wedding followed with fancy dinner at a Mansion. LOSER!!!) JOB INTERVIEWS. Hell, even a first date to a fancy restaurant. $70 to $100 is cheap cheap cheap for such a necessary and versatile item. Buy the suit for the interview. Get it pressed and break it out for special occassions.

On the sport jacket. I want to be there with you. I see what you're saying. But I don't know. That seems like such a toolio move. Especially if you're not wearing a tie. I mean, come on. ARe you Sonny Crocket? Seriously. Only guys that can get away with the sport-jacket no tie look? Brad Pitt and George Clooney. Seriously. That move works if you're super handsome movie star type walking the red carpet. It makes the rest of us look like low-rate lazy slobs.

A cheap suit is just fine. I hear what you're saying about the fit of a suit. Double the amount your willing to spend and you can get something that works just fine from Filene's Basement, or even Marshalls. I got my first jobs in New York media wearing $300 suits. Nobody's looking that closely at the cut of your suit. Just make sure it's not TOO out of whack and you'll be fine.

I have a suit. :confused: a really nice one. thats not my main question though.

• Members

I have jeans so plain and bland they could pass for slacks unless you get close enough to study the fabric.

I will wear a button up dress shirt as well perhaps a tie. but enough about clothing;

anyone have an idea which time frame would be better?

I'd go with the early time. Late on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, people are going to want to rush out to get home (or wherever). That means probably not as willing to spend time with you. The more quality time you can get with them, the better you can make your pitch.

JM

• Members

He's been getting kinda fat lately. You see that last lame flick he did? I Thought he could slim down. Figured dropping an that extra "L" was a good start....

Haha, yeah he is getting a bit of a beer gut. But hey, I wouldn't give a {censored} if I was 40 something either. Russell's made like 15-20 flicks easily and people know he's a lion on the big screen.

• Members

I have jeans so plain and bland they could pass for slacks unless you get close enough to study the fabric.

I will wear a button up dress shirt as well perhaps a tie. but
enough about clothing;

anyone have an idea which time frame would be better?

Why? You're missing out on one of the most vital parts of the interview, just walking in, looking sharp and having a big goofy grin (or as career consultants would say, a bright and confident smile) on your face. The time frame, just be there 15-20 mins early.

• Members

On the sport jacket. I want to be there with you. I see what you're saying. But I don't know. That seems like such a toolio move. Especially if you're not wearing a tie. I mean, come on. ARe you Sonny Crocket?

sonny crockett often wore...yup, suits!

what made em "crockety" is they were unconstructed (they didn't have an interlining, or shoulder structure, hell not even a lining! - not to mention being linen)

To be honest, the ones that were suits were extra "crockety" b/c they were suits

o a traditional sportjacket/blazer is constructed. I mean the blue blazer has been a classic for like 150 years (I think a nice herringbone tweed brings it closer to sportscoat versatility and a little further away from the nautical heritage of the blazer, but either works)

A cheap suit is just fine. I hear what you're saying about the fit of a suit.

Since we men have very few options (thankfully) compared to women, that's where a lot of the burden is on the fit and the cut.

Since a suit is designed as a unified outfit, this becomes especially important

(hint : when buying a really good suit, buy two sets of trousers and rotate them as trousers tend to wear faster than the jacket)

Now a sportscoat/blazer has a more relaxed fit than a suitcoat, so you've got more wiggle room there.

but a cheap suit, looks the part (of a cheap suit)

Nobody's looking that closely at the cut of your suit.

That's where we disagree

well let me qualify - if we are both talking the cut in terms of the quality of construction (as opposed to cut as in style of the suit...that being said, the cut as in style can be a bit problematic -- some cuts, like double breasted are harder to pull off, esp if you are in a biz casual as opposed to biz formal as they don't hang that well open on most guys. Esp for a young guy, a very traditional cut can look costumey and give that "I just pulled this out of storage and am trying to play grownup" look, much like over-aggressive makeup on a young lady)

but back to good construction and good general cut -- I mean people often may not be aware that's what they are looking at when they see a "cheesy" suit v a good suit, but that's a lot of the difference...it effects how the suit hangs, it if looks pressed (you can't, for instance, remove sleeve puckering from a poorly constructed suit jacket with pressing so it can look unpressed), etc

I mean we even have the expression "all over him / hanging on him , like a cheap suit" that borrows from that part of the aesthetic

• Members

I'd go with the early time. Late on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, people are going to want to rush out to get home (or wherever). That means probably not as willing to spend time with
you
. The more quality time you can get with them, the better you can make your pitch.

JM

yeah thats what I was thinking, but considering most studios are open late (and I know for a fact this one is) Monday morning isn't really the time anyone in this industry would be extremely fond of candidates

I put in for monday morning though; thanks for the advice ppl

I would expect to see most of the bigger fish (clients) come in late too

• Members

sonny crockett often wore...yup, suits!

what made em "crockety" is they were unconstructed (they didn't have an interlining, or shoulder structure, hell not even a lining! - not to mention being linen)

To be honest, the ones that were suits were extra "crockety" b/c they were suits

o a traditional sportjacket/blazer is constructed. I mean the blue blazer has been a classic for like 150 years (I think a nice herringbone tweed brings it closer to sportscoat versatility and a little further away from the nautical heritage of the blazer, but either works)

A cheap suit is just fine. I hear what you're saying about the fit of a suit.

Since we men have very few options (thankfully) compared to women, that's where a lot of the burden is on the fit and the cut.

Since a suit is designed as a unified outfit, this becomes especially important

(hint : when buying a really good suit, buy two sets of trousers and rotate them as trousers tend to wear faster than the jacket)

Now a sportscoat/blazer has a more relaxed fit than a suitcoat, so you've got more wiggle room there.

but a cheap suit, looks the part (of a cheap suit)

Nobody's looking that closely at the cut of your suit.

That's where we disagree

well let me qualify - if we are both talking the cut in terms of the quality of construction (as opposed to cut as in style of the suit...that being said, the cut as in style can be a bit problematic -- some cuts, like double breasted are harder to pull off, esp if you are in a biz casual as opposed to biz formal as they don't hang that well open on most guys. Esp for a young guy, a very traditional cut can look costumey and give that "I just pulled this out of storage and am trying to play grownup" look, much like over-aggressive makeup on a young lady)

but back to good construction and good general cut -- I mean people often may not be
aware
that's what they are looking at when they see a "cheesy" suit v a good suit, but that's a lot of the difference...it effects how the suit hangs, it if looks pressed (you can't, for instance, remove sleeve puckering from a poorly constructed suit jacket with pressing so it can look unpressed), etc

I mean we even have the expression "all over him / hanging on him , like a cheap suit" that borrows from that part of the aesthetic

Dude.... You seem like you know a {censored}-load about suits. And you certainly out-Crocketed me. You win. So OP: Go ahead Rock the sport jacket, dude. OR Get yourself a nicely tailored suit. And e-mail Slight-Return for some advice...

• Members

Haha, yeah he is getting a bit of a beer gut. But hey, I wouldn't give a {censored} if I was 40 something either. Russell's made like 15-20 flicks easily and people know he's a lion on the big screen.

I know. I love him too. He's even more bad ass with the extra weight.

• Members

Dude.... You seem like you know a {censored}-load about suits. And you certainly out-Crocketed me. You win. So OP: Go ahead Rock the sport jacket, dude. OR Get yourself a nicely tailored suit. And e-mail Slight-Return for some advice...

The only way we win if we help duecey get the job.

I guess I've had some time with that area of dress. I'm natively a classic[al] guitarist so jobs tended to be more around those modes, having "suit jobs", my wife has a pretty olde-schoole element to her upbringing (she had a debut and such) - so just an exposure thing.

(It's weird, b/c not-so-long-ago, the stuff I mentioned would be considered basics)

I doubt our core views are really that much different (I agree a guy should have a suit) and I think your cautions about downdressing the blazer has a lot to say. In that way, I think my thoughts on suits are similar in that it's not just slapping on clothes (be it blazer or suit), but you have to execute it with some...diligence.

It's kind of a bitch b/c I don't think there is much education in our upbringing about this these days BUT we are still expected to pull it off.

One thing I kind of noticed in the OP (and I think this is pretty common today) talked about 3-piece suit OR black jeans - sort of this 2 mode view, but there are gradations, esp in biz casual these days.

What makes it even worse is the terms and guidelines ("rules") have gotten loose - which means the choices aren't as clear and we have to rely on nuance and implication - again without a lot of exposure or education around these areas.

It's kind of a crappy position we put guys in.

• Moderators

The only way we win if we help duecey get the job.

well, and then he becomes a big time famous engineer, and records all our projects for free because we were there for him when he first started out...;)

I won't be holding my breath...but I hope he does get the gig!

• Members

^^^ LOL :D

I got this from one of the mods at the gearslutz forum, and i would assume they would know more about this since they are a community for engineers and not musicians...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/4803135-post5.html

i value an assistant that can hang out and not be a nerd.

dress casually

now im not gonna go in there with a tye dye shirt, but...

Archived