John Taylor: "the power of restriction" (not about DRM, though!)

Pankot

• Members

I'm not convinced by the argument, (and certainly can't imagine the genie being put back in the bottle) but it was refreshing to see another angle on the impact of the internet - one that didn't revolve around piracy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8347178.stm

In September 1972, Roxy Music appeared on prime time TV in the UK. .... the way they looked and sounded stunned me, and a generation of mes.

But we had no video recorders, and of course there was no YouTube. There was no way whatsoever that I could watch that appearance again, however badly I wanted to. And the power of that restriction was enormous.

When artists today are asked to Twitter their every thought, their every action, to record on video their every breath, their every performance,.... I believe they're also diluting the magical power and the magnetic attraction that they can or will ever have over their audience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm not convinced by the argument, (and certainly can't imagine the genie being put back in the bottle) but it was refreshing to see another angle on the impact of the internet - one that didn't revolve around piracy.

I really like the article and think he made a good point, but the article should be retitled, "Is overexposure stifling new music?" He doesn't really attack the Internet, just all the different avenues and ways for people to arbitrarily access an entertainer or artist.

Archived