what city/place do you all think a thriving music scene will come out of?

samal50

• Members

A music scene can still flourish without a major label. It's about building a lifestyle brand, sound, and culture that's unique to that area. Making money has nothing to do with that.

I'm kind of curious to see where you want to go with this notion.

Are you saying that a music scene should be composed entirely of hobbyists?

Or that a scene is and should be - by definition - local and immune to the lure of "big money"?

Or ...?

• Members

A music scene can still flourish without a major label. It's about building a lifestyle brand, sound, and culture that's unique to that area. Making money has nothing to do with that.

I dunno...

Costs me gas $$ to drive to gigs.

Costs me LOTS of $$ to maintain and replace/buy gear necessary to continue gigging (and especially growing)

Costs $$ to be eating and sleeping "on the road"

Costs $$ to advertise and promote shows.

Costs $$ to have management or a booker get those shows to begin with

meh.. and then we gotta play "for the door" :mad:

• Members

Originally Posted by sabriel9v :

I'm kind of curious to see where you want to go with this notion.

Are you saying that a music scene should be composed entirely of hobbyists?

Or that a scene is and should be - by definition - local and immune to the lure of "big money"?

Or ...?

FWIW - I read the statement as negation instead of opposition

Statement - "neckties required"

Negation - "neckties not required"

Opposition - "neckties prohibited"

• Members

oh well...we do not live in an age where people buy CDs anymore. A simple google could find you plenty of free mp3s of the artist and videos from youtube. We live in an age of freebies and freeloaders. Music is dead.

P.S. Check my other post on the music biz section of HC forum.

• Members

OK to answer the actual question asked, I wager Omaha, Nebraska.

How can something that already happened be "about" to happen? The Omaha scene has been well known for years. The whole Saddle Creek thing already happened. The bands that remain in the area are still really great bands but they're not of the same caliber as the bands that got it started.

• Members

How can something that already happened be "about" to happen? The Omaha scene has been well known for years. The whole Saddle Creek thing already happened. The bands that remain in the area are still really great bands but they're not of the same caliber as the bands that got it started.

The Omaha scene has birthed some slightly recognized independent acts BUT to me that is just the beginning. It just means that the studios, labels, and other infrastructure to support a big scene are there. All the components are in place, now there needs to be a band who wants to blow up and take a few other bands with it a la Nirvana and Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains.

• Moderators
The Omaha scene has birthed some slightly recognized independent acts BUT to me that is just the beginning. It just means that the studios, labels, and other infrastructure to support a big scene are there. All the components are in place, now there needs to be a band who wants to blow up and take a few other bands with it a la Nirvana and Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains.

which, in order to do that, requires a major label be involved...:wave:

• Members

I dunno...

Costs me gas $$ to drive to gigs.

Costs me LOTS of $$ to maintain and replace/buy gear necessary to continue gigging (and especially growing)

Costs $$ to be eating and sleeping "on the road"

Costs $$ to advertise and promote shows.

Costs $$ to have management or a booker get those shows to begin with

meh.. and then we gotta play "for the door"
:mad:

That's fine, don't participate in a scene then.

• Moderators

well, in order for there to be a 'scene', you first need enough decent venues, you need an active audience segment with disposable income and adequate free time, and most of all you need an active and varied talent pool. Once a scene gets going, if none of the bands succeed beyond the local level, the scene will eventually die....because the costs (both financial and emotional) of being a musician are high, and if there is no money to be made and no advancement of career to be had, they will move on. Stagnant pools of bands that play the same venues over and over is not a scene.

• Members

people across the country are seriously underestimating atlanta's garage and punk scenes right now. while it's known for rap, at least right now, people forget that atlanta was home to the allman bros. and blind willie mctell. there are a ton of different rock and blues scenes still thriving here, they're just overshadowed by lil jon and his cronies. right now, some notables are the black lips, king khan and the shrines, the hiss, and poison arrows. please don't disregard atlanta's music before you take in all the facts.

• Members

Go to the Empty Bottle and Double Door, thread demolished.

Chicago??!!

Stop the presses.

I've heard a lot of great and interesting music all over NC, especially the Chapel Hill and Asheville areas.

Boston has had 40 years to rebuild after the great BossTown hype of 1968-9.

Cleveland always rocks.

• Members

Chicago??!!

Stop the presses.

I've heard a lot of great and interesting music all over NC, especially the Chapel Hill and Asheville areas.

Boston has had 40 years to rebuild after the great BossTown hype of 1968-9.

Cleveland always rocks.

Initially the OP did ask about what venues were good in Chicago, so I told him :thu:

What 'scene' are you referring to? I'm not seeing any.

There are tons of scenes going on right now. Somebody mentioned further up in the post that Atlanta has an underground garage/punk scene going on and that's true. Stoner rock/metal is also super popular in the southeast and bands like Baroness, Mastodon, and Jucifer are at the head of those movements. All over London (especially in the south), grime and dubstep are extremely popular. Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans and the Bay Area all have amazing rap scenes. They aren't as well publicized on MTV as they used to be, but the money is still there. I recently read that some rapper out of LA named Glasses Malone sold roughly 40,000 copies of his two mixtapes independently and he signed to a major because of it. In San Fran, psychedelic rock and blues is still popular, bands like Earthless and Mammatus are holding the torch in that scene...do I need to go further?

No offense to the 40+ guys on the forum, but I feel that a scene HAS to have young people and largely revolves around young people. It's our new ideas and ways of thinking that build a scene. Let's be honest, how many 40 yr olds are going to buy a keg, invite a bunch of bands over and see how many people they can get out to their party? Not many, unless they were already doing stuff like that when they were 18 and 19.

• Members

No offense to the 40+ guys on the forum, but I feel that a scene HAS to have young people and largely revolves around young people.

None taken, you are correct.

I guess what you're calling scenes, I tend to think of more as small pockets of activity.

A scene to me is like what happened in the deep South in the 70s, with the creation of the southern rock sound, leading to the Allman Bros, Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, the Outlaws, Charlie Daniels band, etc; Austin in the 70s with the Outlaw Country thing, Wilie, Waylon, Jerry Jeff, etc; Austin again in the 80s with SRV, Fabulout T Birds, etc; Seattle in the 90s with STP, Nirvan, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, etc. Those were huge scenes that were heavily influential and changed the direction of music for a time.

• Members

I guess what you're calling scenes, I tend to think of more as small pockets of activity.

I think that's a probably part of the problem -- what constitutes a 'scene' is going to be interpreted differently.

I mean m-w defines it (as used in this way) as "a sphere of activity" -- but we probably load it with a lot more. And we're all probably loading it differently

("thriving" maybe helps a little, but probably not that much as what we can think about that can be up for grabs too - like does it have to be large or can it be stable and active)

I think there's also going to be some "Blue Honda" syndrome (if you are about to buy a blue honda, you'll starting blue Hondas on the road more) --in our own areas of interest we'll probably see more activity and that activity as part of a cohesive scene.

For instance, I'd venture to guess that "music scene" defaults in a lot of minds to rock, blues, pop -- bars and nightclubs as primary venues.

like sab's take

No offense to the 40+ guys on the forum, but I feel that a scene HAS to have young people and largely revolves around young people. It's our new ideas and ways of thinking that build a scene. Let's be honest, how many 40 yr olds are going to buy a keg, invite a bunch of bands over and see how many people they can get out to their party?

Well, that's pretty much a youth-oriented model -- that's where he is in life right now.

• Members

The big new topic among singer/songwriters is the "make your own" scene approach. And Blue is right, it's not really a "scene," but the concept is useful... if you want fans, and you want to make money, you might be better off finding a venue that will host you but will not charge you "rent," and you sell tickets and CD's and keep everything. If you can build a following and start getting 100 people out to see you at $10 a ticket, you're going to make more money than playing at the "big name" clubs in your city. Even bringing in 50 people might make you more money. Some big name clubs don't pay you anything and the people who go there don't buy CD's.

Archived