so Best Buy stopped selling CDs...

• Members

This is what I was told but Best Buy are actually expanding their vinyl section. Supposedly it's making a comeback. What I don't get is vinyls are actually pricey. I've seen them go for $20 whereas CDs are about $12.

Also, I think FYE has been selling downloads at their kiosk. I haven't really gotten into it just yet but whatever is going to be the "future" I just hope it's as good as when I first started buying CDs in the 90's!

• Members
This is what I was told but Best Buy are actually expanding their vinyl section. Supposedly it's making a comeback. What I don't get is vinyls are actually pricey. I've seen them go for $20 whereas CDs are about $12.

Also, I think FYE has been selling downloads at their kiosk. I haven't really gotten into it just yet but whatever is going to be the "future" I just hope it's as good as when I first started buying CDs in the 90's!

Vinyl is a dumb idea. Vinyl for pop music is well into stoopid retarded.

• Members
Bluetooth speaker then?

In this case it's the medium not the speaker. Vinyl just doesn't have the dynamic range of digital; its own master tapes for that matter. The problem is the audio is produced by a cartridge and stylus tracking the grooves. Bass will be rolled off and left smack in the center so left and right channels share the load otherwise the "needle" will pop out the groove every time there's a big thump of any kind or instrument. And then you have EDM bass ... fughedabahttit.

• Members

We had a Best Buy at our lil Mall at one time. Best Buy had a decent selection of cd's back in the day, but over the past decade, it got slimmer and slimmer.

Our Best Buy closed years ago and I'm not sure how the mall actually remains open.

Some of you folk might remember the long box cd's came in. It was as tall as an LP, but half the width. That was so vendors could put cd's in the record bins.

I kept all my LP's from the 70's and early 80's. I used to pick up a couple of LP's a week, and then a couple of cd's a week.

There's not really a local record shop any more, and I have to travel a bit to hit a record shop.

I'm not big on online shopping for records. I want to go into a shop and experience the joy of going through the bins. I want to go home and listen to my purchase, not wait for the f!@kin UPS guy to arrive at my house 33 days later, only to find out the jewelled case in cracked.

LP's back when I was a kid retailed for about 6 bucks. Then when the cd hit big they were about 15-20 bucks for a while, until things stabilized and prices came down a bit.

I love the thrill of opening an LP, pulling it out of the jacket, holding it by the edges and slowly placed it on the turntable. There's something spiritual about the whole process.

I'm not gonna say it's as good as sex, but it's about the equivalent of opening a nice bottle of wine.

Retailers and Record companies are making it difficult to buy music.

I'd like to get more cd's at concerts and festivals, but the damn things are way too much. It would be nice if that money went toward putting gas in their car, but the festival promoters can and will take a nice chunk out of what is sold.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
wouldn't the labels make adjustments before mass pressing the records?

Of course. They'd have to be playable. I'm saying a turntable arm and cartridge won't be able to play the bass content and harsh synthetic waveforms you get from a standard mp3 stereo track..

• Members
I love the thrill of opening an LP, pulling it out of the jacket, holding it by the edges and slowly placed it on the turntable. There's something spiritual about the whole process.

Yes, and most kids today have never and will never know it or "get" it. I pity them. Buying an album was like an event when I was a kid, such anticipation and fun (unless the album sucked, lol). You heard a song you liked or a group you already like put out a new one and someone would go get it...or maybe you were just in a record store and browsing (a fun thing to do in itself, even if you didn't buy anything; I loved checking the discount bin and got some great deals there)...we'd gather at whoever's house and listen to it, song by song, and talk about it. Or sometimes I might buy one myself and listen alone, still fun. And album covers, although the same basic shape, still varied a great deal...some opened out into a tri-fold thing, or more often two halves...usually they had the lyrics printed on the inside and you'd follow along, or read the liner notes while listening...sometimes they'd even include a poster or some such in the album, a sort of "bonus gift" (of course this is back when posters were so popular, so it mattered more). Some even had different textures to them. There was something about holding that album cover and doing that while listening that made it so much more of an "experience" rather than simply just the music. Almost every time I think of an album the first thing that comes to mind is the cover (and so I hated bad album covers :) ).

As for CDs, I agree with the OP: so?

Archived