Facebook Ads

• Members

Just been looking into Facebook ads out of interest.

Has anybody here used them before for any type of promo? Any good results?

Just curious if it's something worth looking into some more?

Cheers guys

• Members

Our web hosting company gave us $50 dollars worth of ad credit for Facebook when we signed up with them. We used it to run a pretty targeted campaign focusing only on people in our area who like bands similar to us. We set the budget at two dollars per day and chose the pay per click option. This resulted in a steady stream of a couple new fans a day for the next 25 days, all people who none of us knew.

I'd say it's worth a shot just cause it's easy to set a low budget just for a trial run. You need to find out what your conversion rate is, then it'll be a lot easier for you to determine whether or not it's worth it financially. You can also pause the campaign at any time, so it's nice to just turn it on for a day or two when you haven't gotten much new traffic recently...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I wouldn't spend money advertising to build a fanbase, especially in the beginning, because it so important to connect directly with fans. Do you have a Twitter account? Twitter is a great way to mingle with fans and other musicians.

btw I like your band's website. Very easy to navigate and I like the song that continues to play as I go through the different sections.

• Members

Facebook might be a decent to good way to at the very least get your brand and music out there. I don't think it'll lead to many sales though. I would bid CPM...but I suggest day-parting it (which you would have to monitor yourself, FB doesn't have scheduling); in other words, turn the campaign on in the evenings when people aren't at school/work so that you get the greatest visibility. Keep in mind that greater visibility means more impressions which means more cost to you (if you're running CPM).

Keep your keywords and demographic tight and true to what you feel your target is and let us know how it goes!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah, we used them, and were moderately successful, I guess.

We actually wrote a whole article about the experience on our blog:

http://www.flutesquad.com/blog/2010/7/19/advertising-is-hell-introducing-the-flute-squad-affiliate-pr.html

We posted the screen caps of our stats, and also went into why we decided to explore other, more worthwhile marketing strategies.

"Father" Ryan

The Dirty Marmaduke Flute Squad

www.flutesquad.com

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I like it as you can pay per "Like". I tried getting more people to my fan page via targeting specific demographics. My page is linked with My Band, so they'd instantly get to see and hear my work. I did add people, but never hit my max budget. I run them every now and then.

What is nice is that you can get some free "likes" later one once others see that their friends like your page.

I can't say it has netted me more butts in seats, though. Once they like your page, they see your updates and you can easily communicate with fans.

I hate Twitter as everytime I post something with a proper noun, affiliated people I don't know start tweeting me. Like when I picked on the Tampa Bay Rays for losing last week. Ugh. I didn't realize people sit around searching through other peoples' posts!

• Members

I like it as you can pay per "Like".

I didn't know that. Is it a new feature?

I had some success with a very specific add I runned for my band... But again, it was VERY specific targeting. We did a song about the Quebec Nordiques hockey franchise and we targeted fans of the team. Since its a hot topic in Quebec right now (the possible return of the franchise), it got attention from a journalist totally by chance. She talked about the song in a big journal and website.

All luck... :p

Archived