Sending out your bands CD

• Members

We are about to receive 1,000 copies of our debut CD :thu:

Artwork looks great, real pro, and we're happy with the sound so all is good.

So all the hardwork in getting to this point was exactly that, getting to this point. Now it seems the real hard begins. So apart from getting it on CD baby, selling it @ shows, and getting it to people who count, (record dudes, radio) who else should I be sending it to.

Have you guys had luck sending stuff out cold to be reviewed by magazines, online or otherwise, bloggers? What's worked well, in other words, what gave you the best response?

We are an all original rock band (little alternative, tool etc..).. We are getting some play on our reginal radio station in Southern Ontario, 94.5 The Bull...but we are not well known, and though we've played in Toronto (The Opera House, Kathedral) we are Not well known threre (thta's next on our list, crack Toronto)

So, I dunno, anybody out there @ our level had success with reviews and such just sending stuff out? And how many do you think you ended up sending out as compared to responses received?

Thanks guys.

• Members

In my very limited experience, cold sending CD's doesn't work too well. Better to send an email with a link to a page online where the person can check out your music (ala Bandcamp). NOT a place with 30 second samples. Then if they're interested, you can send them a CD. I've had people point blank tell me they'd rather go to a web site and listen there.

• Members

Depends on your genre, but I got reviewed by Blues Access and Blues Revue magazines, both national publications, and all I had to do was contact their editor and ask for submission info. Both magazines featured a 'home grown' or unsigned artist review page or pages, and getting good reviews from both of them have been worth their weight in gold in having them as credible impact statements on my promo.

Thee are also online sites that will do reviews; just don't cold send anything. Whether it's magazines, blogs, e-zines, college radio, or commercial radio with unsigned artist shows, always contact them first.

You may want to get a copy of the Musician's Atlas; it costs about 50 bucks and is worth every penny in contact info for all stages of the music biz, from recording, producers, venues, radio, agents, and so on. Check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0966936892/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=2883137065&ref=pd_sl_943nlj4aqn_e

Best of luck!

• Members

Cool guys. Thanks. Musician's atlas looks good Bluestrat. I kinda figured that magazines and such were inundated with material and it would mean more work making the contacts. Guess there is no way to make it 'easy'. Hasn't been easy up till now so I guess it's not going to suddenly change. ha ha

If I get a good list of approachable mags and websites I'll post it up for y'all..

• Members

If you can afford a pr person, it could be money well spent. At one point I had one and was amazed at what she got done and all I had was a three song cassette. She arranged all my promo in a much more effective way, and got me tv and press that I never would have. Her contacts were the difference. I think press, and for that matter, music industry people, react in a completely different way when they are approached by one of their own.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived