(Views/Favorited) Ratio on Youtube. Success indicator?

• Members

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I want to know your opinions about the meaning of a good views/favorited ratio (how many views does it take to be favorited once) on Youtube. All this in the context of home recordings made by "amateur" musicians, so the people who makes comments and favorite the videos are not influenced by fanatism, looks, fame or whatever.

Do you think that a good ratio implies good chances of success in digital selling?,

any experiencies about this?

What would you consider a good ratio?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

thanks for your reply.

I don´t mean that a good ratio implies success, but if you get, for example, favorited once every 100 views you could suspect that people is actually interested in your music.

I don´t think that is just superficial if this is in the context of totally anonymous and unknown "artist"...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I dont know that it'd be a good indicator one way or the other for a number of reasons - just a few from the top of the head

1) some people dont favorite (but just search) so that would actually show up as an "unfavorited" view, which could actually skew low

2) :D and $ are quite different -- as :D is of little to no cost, "waiter rants" (the blog and now book by aa veteran waiter) brings this up about tippers. Some guys are "verbal tippers" and ten to be tight on the $ tip

3) looks could still matter - ever notice how attractive fems have their facebook, etc set to private, or look at the comments on youtube vids of attractive fems playing music

4) we don't know WHY they are favoriting some may be "I like this guy, I'd like to keep track of him" others maybe "Oh, it's kind of nice and I can watch it for free right here", others maybe "wow! I have to show my friends this loser"

we just don't know

5) I could still be a self-selecting sample with "fame" of sorts...we don't know how many degrees of sep you have from the viewers ("oh, here's Heather's friend on youtube. He's OK")

6) if the total number of hits is small, the ratio could be heavilly skewed f. (like point 5).

That can be a trick in rastios -- the other day, I was playing my wife (scientist BTW) in a video tennis game -- the stats for the set came up and I made fun of her b/c she had 0% wins on her second serve and she was flustered.

What she didn't notice was...she got all her first serves in (there WERE no second serves)

I don´t think that is just superficial if this is in the context of totally anonymous and unknown "artist"...

the superficiality wouldn't have to be driven by previous fame, just that the interest doesn't go beyond the face of it

Not that having good comments and favs is a bad thing, nor even meaningless - but I just don'tknow that it's solid or controlled enough to be a reliable metric

• 2 weeks later...

Archived