The decline of CD Baby makes more sense all the time

• Members

Good article - thanks for posting.

I've been disappointed with the decline of cdbaby as well. Derek was the man, and I always viewed cdbaby as a model of a really well-run business.

Also, you mentioned that you were looking for another place besides Disc Makers for your next project. I've done about 5 or 6 CD and DVD duplication projects with a place in Portland, Oregon: www.cdpostershop.com

I had done a lot of research looking for duplicators and I found them. Their prices are good, the quality is high, and I've been happy with the results.

• Members

I've been disappointed with the decline of cdbaby as well. Derek was the man, and I always viewed cdbaby as a model of a really well-run business.

Also, you mentioned that you were looking for another place besides Disc Makers for your next project. I've done about 5 or 6 CD and DVD duplication projects with a place in Portland, Oregon:
www.cdpostershop.com

I had done a lot of research looking for duplicators and I found them. Their prices are good, the quality is high, and I've been happy with the results.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check them out. And they're not in Jersey, so maybe I can beat the tax...

• Members

Thumb drives? Donwload tickets?

Download tickets aren't NEARLY as convenient to the fan/listener as a CD as it requires way more effort than just popping the CD onto iTunes or right into your car's CD player. The thumb drives are an interesting idea I've always thought held merit (assuming costs get close to CD costs for the musician); I just haven't seen prices drop enough to make it realistic. Perhaps I've searched the wrong sites for pricing? I also know too many people even my age (20s) that simply don't have iPods or listen to a ton of music on their computers. Not that it's not still moving that way; it's just not 100% yet, or even close to it.

I think the point was that CDs, while not necessarily the best form of music distribution as a whole, still have a place, even if it's not where the majority of distribution takes place for a band, and are definitely not obsolete yet.

Another point with the flash drives and download cards is that I like knowing someone can leave my concert and be listening to my music on the way home. I can't tell you how often myself and my friends leave a concert where we just saw a new band and give the band that ever important "first listen" right on the way home from the show, BEFORE we've had the chance to lose the CD or toss it aside to take care of more important matters once I've arrived at home.

• Members

Also, you mentioned that you were looking for another place besides Disc Makers for your next project. I've done about 5 or 6 CD and DVD duplication projects with a place in Portland, Oregon:
www.cdpostershop.com

i used cdpostershop for my last short run, and i was very impressed. i've used mixonic in the past, and the quality was certainly as good, for a much cheaper price.

:cool:

• Members

Simple truth?

CD's as a medium for distributing music are obsolete.

that's interesting. my car stereo seems to accept them just fine, but it really balks when asked to play cassettes, eight-tracks, mp3s, reel-to-reels, wax cylinders, and magnetic wire.

:confused:

• Members

Simple truth?

CD's as a medium for distributing music are obsolete.

Check out the definition of obsolete, then check out music sales figures.:cop:

Folks are still buying CD's. And downloads. And whatever other nifty delivery system.

CD's are still a BIG part of the picture.

An example of an obsolete music delivery system is the 8 track. Sorry bub, CD's ain't there yet. :rolleyes:

• Members

that's interesting. my car stereo seems to accept them just fine, but it really balks when asked to play cassettes, eight-tracks, mp3s, reel-to-reels, wax cylinders, and magnetic wire.

:confused:

The 8 Track Tape had to have been developed by someone dropping bad acid. I mean, really. Songs would fade out, then KA CHUNK, then fade back in. Sometimes on the best song on the album. It is amazing how bad they were, really. :)

Totally agree about the whole CD thing. I still buy CD's at local musician's gigs and listen to them on the way home.

• Members

pot. it has a higher profit margin, and everyone loves it
:lol:

That's probably the most surefire way of making money at gigs I've ever heard. Probably not sustainable, though, what with those pesky drug laws and all. If we replaced all alcohol sales with pot sales we'd probably have a lot less people dead due to drunk drivers. Lots less violence, too. And I don't smoke pot or advocate it, but it's probably less dangerous than alcohol. Just saying.

• Members

The 8 Track Tape had to have been developed by someone dropping bad acid. I mean, really. Songs would fade out, then KA CHUNK, then fade back in. Sometimes on the best song on the album. It is amazing how bad they were, really.
:)

Totally agree about the whole CD thing. I still buy CD's at local musician's gigs and listen to them on the way home.

And dont forget that sometimes, a song started on one side and ended on another. It's just like having to flip a record over to hear the rest of the song. My 1978 Mustang had an 8 track player in it. Unfortunetly, it was the most reliable thing in the entire car.

• Members

Download tickets aren't NEARLY as convenient to the fan/listener as a CD as it requires way more effort than just popping the CD onto iTunes or right into your car's CD player.

I disagree, Ive heard soooo many people say they dont buy CD's because they cant be bothered carrying them around all night... Im the same, unless I plan on going home straight after a show, I will never buy a CD, its to big to put in your pocket all night. A download ticket or other minimalist means could work though.

• Members

What I find funny is that independent artists think they need CD Baby for distribution. With PayPal and Google Checkout, artists can sell stuff themselves, and just package the merch themselves. Most independent artists aren't selling that much anyway, so it really wouldn't take too much time out of their day.

Archived