Is vinyl making a comeback or is that just hype?

• Members

Is it true? I keep reading blurbs here and there that there is a resurgent interest in vinyl.

Makes sense because, even though any format can be pirated, it takes a few more steps to copy vinyl to a digital medium correctly...and everybody knows that half the fun of vinyl is in the packaging (big sleeves, big gatefolds, lots of pics and lyrics, occasionally a poster, etc) ...stuff that makes a vinyl purchase 'worth it' over downloading

Personally, I would love this

• Members

I am 28 years old and love vinyl! I have stopped buying new music on CD and switched to vinyl because I feel like I am getting more for my money. Like you mentioned, I get a 12"x12" piece of art with the cover vs. a 4" cd cover, and then all the extras. Quality-wise I have some questions though. If an album is recorded digitally (pro tools, etc.) how can the vinyl sound any better? Isn't it just a larger digital copy?

Anyhow, yeah I love vinyl, especially the older stuff I get at my record store for a buck, and it's making a comeback with me personally pops, crackles, and all.

Thought I'd share :thu:

• Members

Vinyl's definitely growing, more and more of my friends are switching to vinyl instead of buying CDs, for all the reasons that were already mentioned. And I can't think of a band that I follow that has released an album recently without releasing it on vinyl.

• Members

Oh, I think it'll be one of those things that doesn't quite die out but has periods where it surges and then wanes in popularity;

with outliers (audiophiles, retro-chic, kitsch releases*,etc) holding down the fort during the troughs.

I have my doubts it'll do much to reduce piracy (esp if alternative formats are released and, unlike strictly analog copying...the generational viability problem is obviated with digital piracy so each "crack" has a much deeper propagation potential)

Some will be interested in extra material (but it's not like CD/DVD can't be put in special packaging..."collectors" series stuff already is) some won't

I suppose there might be a bit of a sweet spot in terms of convenience --

like we never really saw 78 come back, even though the packaging (ACTUAL albums) was pretty cool, but you had to change records/sides wayyyy often and for some stuff like classical it was just annoying (not so much with a single...which s really where they worked)

The 16,(hey, I'm an audiotheatre/audiobook geek where is was used - so I say this with love) wasn't a super popular contender - but it had very long play convenience

now, I suppose the convenience/quality expectations/thresholds may have shifted in ways, maybe compressed - I mean the convenience formats of today are stellar compared to the convenience, hell even some of the non-convenience formats of yesteryear and the quality formats are pretty damn convenient to use

[personally, while I still have a turntable...it's only 33 1/3 - 45 and that's really for pop records and such that have been with me a while. but I'm prob a different age demographic)

* funny note : Cheap Trick is going a step further and offering an 8 track release

• Members

I was going to respond but slight-return said what I wanted to say, but did a better job than I would have. I'll just add this... the majority of people moved from vinyl to CD's for some very good reasons...

Skips, crackles, and pops is just one reason.

Another is the lack of dynamic range compared to the CD.

Another is the fact that a record sounds just a little worse each time you play it and the 100th play is going to sound a lot worse than the 1st, unlike a CD.

A lot of people prefer the sound of records compared to CD's because you had to eq and compress music to make it work on a record. You can make a CD sound more like a record with an eq and a compressor. Seriously.

You can only cram so much low end into a record before the needle gets tossed out of the groove. CD's let you do much, much more. If you like low end.

But the artwork and the record sleeves... THOSE I do miss.

• Members

skips would only happen on cheaper turntables, bad needles, defective vinyl, or vinyl not cared for properly

don't forget "mechanically coupled" when you are playing higher SPLs

If we are talking "comeback" as in comeback to higher popularity (I mean it never really "died" in the audiophile market)

then we are prob going to see just that, a (more and more straight normal) distribution of varying quality and condition of equipment and care

In the heyday, you'd see the occasional penny on the head

On the other end of the spectrum -- I've got an audiophile friend who literally sonotubed a concrete pillar up through his listening room so his turntable is mechanically decoupled from...the rest of his friggin house!

he plays single sided high density vinyl only after washing it in his hydrous disk washer and will not back a record up or reply it twice in a row

and he's gonna have that same "well, yeah you're gonna get artifacts f you don't use the right equipment and take care of it" - but from a much different place on the continuum

so you choose how far you wanna go and as you go out farther, you'll still find somebody camped out there enjoying rarefied view

it's really easy with the crap we love to think our "minimum requirement" is sensible to everyone...after all the wife doesn't ride Dura-Ace b/c she could find it on a pink bike :D

• Members

Vinyl (a misnomer since records are mostly plastic) is made to a very big, dedicated niche market. Still it's niche. You can make your own LPs or 12"s but they're relatively expensive, and probably never gonna get any cheaper not matter how big the niche gets.

• Members

skips would only happen on cheaper turntables, bad needles, defective vinyl, or vinyl not cared for properly

as far as the pops and crackles, I miss those
:love:

You can simulate the pops and crackles. There's plenty of software that will do a very realistic job of it. Seriously, there is.

• Members

A lot of people prefer the sound of records compared to CD's because you had to eq and compress music to make it work on a record.

funny you should mention that - when records were more part of my listening library I used to run those dbx expanders esp on classical music

• Members

funny you should mention that - when records were more part of my listening library I used to run those dbx expanders esp on classical music

LOL. I can't remember the last time I heard the term "expander." Makes a lot of sense, though. :)

• Members

I remember abt '80-'81 my grandpa [broadcast engineer, set up radio/TV stations and such / and electric mandolin player] asked me what (electronic project) I was currently working on.

I said "a compressor" and he read me the riot act about how I should build an expander because everything was so overcompressed

• Members

You can simulate the pops and crackles. There's plenty of software that will do a very realistic job of it. Seriously, there is.

yes, i know that...i was just making a reference to the small incidentals of loving vinyl and wishing it were going to be elevated again as a media norm :)

• Members

I've got wicked fond memories of listening to records, too. In another thread I said that KISS Destroyer was my first record, but thinking back, it wasn't. It was K-Tel's "Music Power." And it had "Smoking in the boy's room" and "I don't like spiders and snakes."

It really didn't have much of an impact on me. Then I heard Destroyer at my cousin's house, and it's like the light went on. I got a copy and played it into the ground. My second and third albums I got at the same time - my Grandma bought them for me. It was Styx "The Grand Illusion" and the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." Two pretty damn good records. After that I got into Rush, then old Genesis, then Alan Parsons Project and so on and so forth.

I miss the artwork, I miss the liner notes, and music meant more to me at 16 than it does at 44, to be honest. But... I would trade the artwork and the liner notes for the vast amount of band information available online today. You can find all kinds of interviews, including audio and video interviews, all kinds of pictures, articles, just about anything you can think of. It's awesome. I wanted to know what pickup Alex Lifeson had in his Les Paul on "All The World's A Stage." I found out. Or rather I found some very good educated guesses. I'm lucky I was a teen in the 80's... if I were 16 today I'd basically live on the Internet.

Hmm. It's funny... I can't remember the first CD I ever bought.

There IS something more real about a record, somehow. I will grant you that.

• Members

Remember when you had a favorite band and you thought you knew everything about them then, two years later - Boom! - you walk into a music store and find some EP that you never heard of before, or some magazine with an article of this band with information you didnt know...Hell, even bootlegs were worth more back then because media wasn't at the fingertips...and you couldnt wait for their next album that was due to be released in a year, and that your friend had first and you got to listen to it before you yourself bought it 3 weeks later

Im not trying to sound like an old man but sometimes I think the internet has too much information at one's fingertips that it takes the joy of "getting to know and love" an artist, for what they are, away........ :(

CyberADHD , if you will........

• Members

I get everything on vinyl if I can help it. The only exception is when, of course it isn't available, or if it's rare.

I tried to get TV on the Radio's "Return to Cookie Mountain," but the only vinyl copies were $75. Screw that, I got the CD.

But older stuff, is vinyl all the way. I just got Black Sabbath 4 and Micheal Jackson's Bad on vinyl.

• Members

Remember when you had a favorite band and you thought you knew everything about them then, two years later - Boom! - you walk into a music store and find some EP that you never heard of before, or some magazine with an article of this band with information you didnt know...Hell, even bootlegs were worth more back then because media wasn't at the fingertips...and you couldnt wait for their next album that was due to be released in a year, and that your friend had first and you got to listen to it before you yourself bought it 3 weeks later

Im not trying to sound like an old man but sometimes I think the internet has too much information at one's fingertips that it takes the joy of "getting to know and love" an artist, for what they are, away........
:(

CyberADHD , if you will........

sounds like it's not so much records that you are missing as it is the interweb you ain't digging

ask and you shall receive!

follow these simple steps to freedom

1) Locate the glowing button on your computer (usually has a circle with a radius like to 12 o'clock)

2) press and hold

3) count slowly to 5

• Members

LPs to 8 track to cassette to CDs

LPs really sounded great... but you trashed them big time playing drop the needle to learn songs. I have none left from my HS band days. They all got carved up learning material. I have been jammin with the guitar player i played with in my last band in HS. He said he still had one of my LPs.

• Members

sounds like it's not so much records that you are missing as it is the interweb you ain't digging

ask and you shall receive!

follow these simple steps to freedom

1) Locate the glowing button on your computer (usually has a circle with a radius like to 12 o'clock)

2) press and hold

3) count slowly to 5

The interweb redeems itself in the form of pr0n :thu:

Archived