Permission for cover song on a CD

• Members

thanks. The song is "Way Down in the Hole" by Tom Waits. I can't find it at Harry Fox Agency. Any advice?

Yes, look here:

It's registered with ASCAP. You should be able to get all the info you need here to get your mechanical license from HFA.

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300 Type in the song title and it will bring the info right up.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Check out the Harry Fox Agency -
www.harryfox.com

They are a clearing house for that kind of thing.

Harry Fox (Or Songfile) is great -- but you do pay a little for that service. The last time I recorded a cover song (You Might Think by The Cars), I contacted Lido Music directly and delt with them. You'll still pay the standard rate, but you're cutting out the middle man (and every penny helps when you DIY).

• Members

Harry Fox (Or Songfile) is great -- but you do pay a little for that service.

Actually, no....at least not when I used them. It is the songwriter who pays a cut to HFA for making their songs available. I only paid the standard compulsory rate and no more.

But you can go directly to the writers/publishers through ASCAP or BMI but applying for a proper mechanical license can be a bit of a pain, which is why I just use HFA.

• Members

Actually, no....at least not when I used them. It is the songwriter who pays a cut to HFA for making their songs available. I only paid the standard compulsory rate and no more.

But you can go directly to the writers/publishers through ASCAP or BMI but applying for a proper mechanical license can be a bit of a pain, which is why I just use HFA.

Really? I hope that's the case then, and if so, I stand corrected!!

This may have since changed, but in 2005, my old rock band did a cover song through HFA's SongFile, and we had to pay a $15 "Processing Fee" tacked onto the $18 (for the 200 discs).

• Members

Really? I hope that's the case then, and if so, I stand corrected!!

This may have since changed, but in 2005, my old rock band did a cover song through HFA's SongFile, and we had to pay a $15 "Processing Fee" tacked onto the $18 (for the 200 discs).

Well, that might be so....last time I used them was 2002. Maybe it is I who will stand corrected!:wave:

Oh, and welcome aboard! Nice to see a new "face" here. I'll check out your site later today.

Oh again, you might want to join us over at the Backstage With The Band page....lots of great discussion about performance issues, band stuff, but there are lots of solo/duo guys there tool. And lots of comedy.

• Members

Oh, and welcome aboard! Nice to see a new "face" here. I'll check out your site later today.

Thanks man! I just came across this site a few weeks ago, and I really liked the fact that other people doing the DIY thing were gathered in one spot! I'll be sure to check out your stuff as well!

• Members

To add a question to this topic, how does one go about recording a cover to sell online, for example iTunes? I mean, a mechanical license doesn't seem to cover online digital sales(at least in namesake), but I'm sure there is a process to get them up there. Any info?

• Members

To add a question to this topic, how does one go about recording a cover to sell online, for example iTunes? I mean, a mechanical license doesn't seem to cover online digital sales(at least in namesake), but I'm sure there is a process to get them up there. Any info?

Right here:

http://www.harryfox.com/public/licenseeServicesDigital.jsp

• Members

Thanks, Blue! I browsed their site this morning. There is a $13-15 processing fee like a previous poster pointed out. They let you search by composer or song, and I like their search format.

Keep in mind, if you're REALLY watching every penny, you can contact the artist (or their representative) and save the processing fee.

When I licensed "You Might Think" (by The Cars) for my latest disc, I contacted Lido Music directly and worked out the licensing with them. My plan was one phone call then head to Harry Fox. Never had to. Good luck!!

• Members

Keep in mind, if you're REALLY watching every penny, you can contact the artist (or their representative) and save the processing fee.

When I licensed "You Might Think" (by The Cars) for my latest disc, I contacted Lido Music directly and worked out the licensing with them. My plan was one phone call then head to Harry Fox. Never had to. Good luck!!

Thanks!

• Members

That is an option; however, getting a response from some of these publishers is hit and miss, more often miss than hit, in my experience. I did that before I found out about HFA. It's worth 15 bucks to me to eliminate the hassle.

:wave:

• 5 months later...

Archived