• Members

magnatune.com has been my online outlet/distribution for years now, and i have been very happy with the results.

they license all of the music via the "CC" creative commons license.

i sell a fair amount of downloads, physical CDs, and also get some of my music licensed for TV and film useage. last summer, the city of Munich Germany licensed my album "Music for Modern Listening" to be used all summer long in the train stations there :thu:

http://www.magnatune.com/artists/stargarden

http://www.magnatune.com/artists/lvxnova

check out some of the artists, there is quite an eclectic bunch there at Magnatune.

and i love their tag-line -- "WE ARE NOT EVIL":cool:

• Members

I'm happy for you. I submitted my CD "Never Completely" to them and they turned it down. Are you posting this because you want to pimp your music? Or because you're suggesting to people to submit their music to Magnatune? Despite being turned down, I will submit my next CD to them, again, because I do think they are a good company.

• Members

Thanks for posting this. I've heard of them but haven't checked them out, so I went to their website and it looks interesting. I liked your music too, and related to it as a fellow ambient/electronic/new age artist who plays guitars and synths (http://www.myspace.com/michaeldiamondmusic).I've got a number of cd's out and have done well with cdbaby, but have been exploring other options, including licensing for film and tv. I'll definitely contact Magnatunes and submit my music.

• Members

I'm happy for you. I submitted my CD "Never Completely" to them and they turned it down. Are you posting this because you want to pimp your music? Or because you're suggesting to people to submit their music to Magnatune? Despite being turned down, I will submit my next CD to them, again, because I do think they are a good company.

john at magnatune is VERY selective about what he releases. don't let that deter you, keep submitting new stuff as you record it.

i am not pimpin my music, and much as i am just putting Magnatune out there as an example of a new "label" that is doing a good job and is artist-based.

they have done great stuff for me, and i like their vibe...:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Never heard of this. Sounds interesting.

they are a cool label, check them out. plenty of cool artists, lots of 20th century classical, world music, electronic, and other "non-pop" genres.

john at magnatune is a visionary :thu:

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Members

So does licensing under Creative Commons mean you don't get paid for anything?

no..i have been getting PAID twice per year since i signed with Magnatune, and my royalties have been increasing every year!

John Buckman has been head of the curve the entire time I have known him, and Magnatune has one of the coolest alternative systems of distribution i have seen to date :thu:

• Members

I've heard some success stories through Magnatune. However, from what I remember they exclude PRO royalties (ASCAP/BMI) from their agreement. Of course this can also attract clients that want to avoid paying the PRO's - for instance, piped-in music at malls, doctor offices, Internet radio, etc...

Some clients are willing to pay more money upfront if they don't have to pay the PRO's yearly fees.

I imagine PRO royalties for TV placements can still be collected, but it will be your responsibility to make sure tracks are registered and cue sheets are turned in.

Maybe Bobby D. can give some current info on this.

John :)

• Members

my music that has been licensed thru Magnatune has been accounted for, and Magnatune splits the proceeds 50/50 with the artists :thu:

which is better than when i as signed with Miramar/BMG, was in a record store one day, saw a CD called "Best of New Age Vol 6"......lo and behold....one of my tracks was ON THERE :eek:

few phone calls later, i found out that Miramar had indeed licensed the track to Priority Records, without telling me OR paying me :cop:

John and Magnatune has been 100% honest with me so far, and all the artists that have been on the label since the beginning are all still there...so that's a good sign :love:

• Members

"my music that has been licensed thru Magnatune has been accounted for, and Magnatune splits the proceeds 50/50 with the artists " - Bobby D.

I was referring to PRO (ASCAP, BMI) royalties, not licensing. From what I've read about them, they separate themselves from the PRO's. Just trying to verify that.

I'm glad your licensing has been accounted for Bobby.

Good luck, John :cool:

• Members

"my music that has been licensed thru Magnatune has been accounted for, and Magnatune splits the proceeds 50/50 with the artists " - Bobby D.

I was referring to PRO (ASCAP, BMI) royalties, not licensing. From what I've read about them, they separate themselves from the PRO's. Just trying to verify that.

I'm glad your licensing has been accounted for Bobby.

Good luck, John
:cool:

yes, i think you are correct. the CC license doesn't use the PRO's. don't know if that's good or bad, but all i know is that my ryalties have slowly increased every year with Magnatune, and John is usually ahead of the curve with what's coming next, so i feel comfortable with them :thu:

Archived