how's a new band get found on iTunes?

• Members

How does a band get noticed on iTunes? Is it lots of record company money to get listed on the front page? A killer good song? Lots of planted fans voting it up?

How could some guy post an indy song on iTunes and EVER get found, heard, or even noticed?

By post, I mean through tunecore or cdbaby or whoever

Thanks!

• Members

How does a band get noticed on iTunes? Is it lots of record company money to get listed on the front page? A killer good song? Lots of planted fans voting it up?

How could some guy post an indy song on iTunes and EVER get found, heard, or even noticed?

By post, I mean through tunecore or cdbaby or whoever

Thanks!

Is it lots of record company money to get listed on the front page? - YES

A killer good song? - NAH

Lots of planted fans voting it up? - I don't think so

How could some guy post an indy song on iTunes and EVER get found, heard, or even noticed? - Because they are thousands of guys doing the same thing?

• Members

How many bands have you discovered on your own simply by browsing an online store or a record shop? Probably not nearly as many as you discovered through a recommendation from someone you know or even indirectly from a DJ that played the music on the radio.

You have to market your band. Posting on iTunes is not marketing your band. It's a sales channel. People hear about you and then seek you out on iTunes.

Archived