CD Art/cost... etc?

• Members

hey everyone... my band is about to finish up our EP with in the next month and the next step is putting it on cd and releasing it. we are young and dont have alot of money and are all about DIY and as cheaply as possible.... (but trying to have as professional result as possible) im really happy with how this is gonna sound and we are looking at how we want to package it... we really dont know anything about this and there arnt many people we can talk to to get information on the best way to do it! the big question is.. do any of you pay local artist to do the artowrk for your cd/cover... etc. we dont really have a logo or anything but would like to have some one deisign us one too.... so whats everyons imput if any? im open to anything really

thanks!

• Members

hey everyone... my band is about to finish up our EP with in the next month and the next step is putting it on cd and releasing it. we are young and dont have alot of money and are all about DIY and as cheaply as possible.... (but trying to have as professional result as possible) im really happy with how this is gonna sound and we are looking at how we want to package it... we really dont know anything about this and there arnt many people we can talk to to get information on the best way to do it! the big question is.. do any of you pay local artist to do the artowrk for your cd/cover... etc. we dont really have a logo or anything but would like to have some one deisign us one too.... so whats everyons imput if any? im open to anything really

thanks!

We're fortunate in that our singer is a professional graphic designer.

Have any friends, family, or fans that would be willing to do it?

If not try posting someone on craiglist or some art websites or something similar asking if anyone wants to contribute something, post your music and if they like it someone might be willing to do something for you in return for having their name on your website/myspace and the cd itself.

• Members

Try guru.com. You can post your requirements and get bids from people all over the world. They have a safe-pay escrow system that protects both parties. Most of the artists have portfolios posted so you can get an idea of their work.

I've used them for a number of web-design projects, and just got a design for a new CD cover. I awarded the bid to a guy from Pakistan for $100. He gave me 3 alternative designs even though I only asked for one, and finished the project in 2 days.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Find some pictures you have laying around. You can manipulate them with photoshop or an equivalent program.

On my first CD jacket, I took a picture I had shot in Mexico City back in the 80s of a schizophrenic on the street, tinted it, and used that as the cover pic.

The second CD I found an old pic of my grandparents drinking in a bar back in the 1950s. I superimposed my image into the pic like I was playing for them. Here's a low quality image of it I snatched off the web:

PatCoast_Play.jpg

Here's a lived one I did at a concert...I liked the fog and the back light....again, a shot tweaked with photoshop. (And again, poor quality capture, but you get the idea)

P_Coast_Live.jpg

For my last CD, I had a friend who's a pro photogrpaher do my pics in exchange for credit on the CD and referrals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There are MANY aspiring photographers on MySpace that would glady take pics and submit them, just for the credit / exposure alone. You may have to weed through a few hacks, but you can find some great stuff if you take a few minutes and try to find someone that may fit the "style" or "feel" that you're looking for!

Good luck!

• Members

I do a lot of graphic design work, and would be happy to help you out if you want. You'd only need a local photographer to provide any photos you want to use. For reference only, "logos" usually go for $300 and UP, depending on the needs and uses, so to hire a pro to do a whole CD layout would likely be pretty expensive. Let me know what you had in mind and we can see if we can put something together.

• 6 months later...

Archived