Album artwork and packaging

• Members

My band is going to record a professional ep this weekend and we've been brainstorming a few art ideas. We'd like to offer not only a physical cd, but an online package as well. On the physical cd, we're going to have a shot of a single high heel. But for the online album we want to elaborate on that concept and do something even cooler...we'd like to set up a zip file that contains the songs and a pdf. The pdf will work as the album booklet and as the listener flips through the virtual pages, first they will see the high heel from the album cover, then on the next page a necklace and dress, then stockings, a bra, and panties on the next, and on the last page we're going to have a tastefully shot picture of a nude woman :cool:

I think it'd be great if we could set up a separate site where people can access the link to our online zip files containing the songs and pdf. But I have no clue as to how this works from an html perspective or how to even set up the zip files so they're large enough and can hold all the data. Has anyone done this before?

• Members

Well, sizing the zipfile itself shouldn't be a problem -- it get created and automatically sized during the zipping process

(I think the original zip format is going to limit you to abt...what something like 4GB - has do to the size of some internal addressing, but I doubt you are going to hit a brick wall )

there is the option of making a self-extracting zip file (basically it's a file with it's own executable unpacking code...no need for an external zip program) but

I don't think that's all that necessary these days with modern OSs, could be somewhat platform dependent

and anyway some network security (both people and system) doesn't like to see EXEs downloaded

on the web side? are you looking to control access to it? or is it more a freely avail link for whomever?

• Members

on the web side? are you looking to control access to it? or is it more a freely avail link for whomever?

We're trying to do what Radiohead, NIN, and Diplo have already done. Essentially people would get forwarded to some kind of Paypal site when they click the link on our myspace. After paying for the online ep, maybe a minute later they would receive an e-mail containing a code and link to the site. The consumer would then use that code as their key and unlock the link containing the zip files that way.

• Members

I'd suggest checking out Paypal "webpayments" (I put it in quotes b/c IIRC that's the actual title of the service --- there are a couple different levels; standard, pro that kind of thing) system - it basically creates the code for the paypal payment button and hooks you into the service and lets you set up a redirect back to your site...so you can send people to the DL link after payment...and all that kind of stuff)

[One caveat - I don't know if it's compatible/allowed by ToS on myspace or f it's not. Myspace may add another layer of difficulty]

One approach you can take is to encrypt the zip file (it's a standard option when creating a zip file) and put the decrypt key in the receipt -- note on that, it's going to be a statically defined key...same for everyone

so you trade security for lower cost/overhead of dynamic systems

BUT the dynamic systems for this kind of thing don't offer that much security b/c people can circumvent it (instead of sharing the key, the pirates can just share the decrypted files)

• Members

Hey sab - I did a quicky (just a quicky, so keep that in mind) check on the Myspace ToS for ya

http://www1.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=misc.terms

I think there is a decently good chance it's prohibited , at least without getting prior authorization (which maybe could be negotiated...but I suspect we'd be talking about myspace getting their cut- if they wanted to get into it at all)...not a slam dunk but something to check deeper into (myspace support could prob let you know for sure)

Id' look at the following parts in particular (but there may be others, those were just "stick out like a sore thumb" items)

section 5 ( Non-commercial Use by Members)

section 8.13 (Prohibited activities)

• Members

Right now, I'm concerned with how we can host the files onto some kind of online source so Paypal can draw the digital product from somewhere...it that makes any sense.

I don't think paypal (at least not the standard edition of webpayments) has the ability to deploy the content (maybe webpayments pro does, but I kind of doubt it) it's essentially a payment system, not a fulfillment system.

What you could do is have the redirect go to a page (that you would have hosted) that would have a DL link - so you'd need to get that hosted like any other standard webpage [as opposed to something like a "myspace" page] (you'll just make to sure you have the storage and monthly bandwidth allowances to xfer those files)

there may be some file hosting services like mediafire so, alternatively, you MAY be able to do something like have them host the file and send the user a link to that file in their paypal receipt (you'll have to see how customizable the paypal webpayment receipt is), but you'd prob have to move to the "pro" service (they have tiered service) to make it reasonably transparent -- the free stuff has you working through their web interface and quick enough to not suck -- could be a bit klugey feeling though

I'd check with the hosting service you use for hijacking music to see what kind of hosting rates they have for the amt of data you are looking at shooting around monthly (so figure what your expected number of DLs a month is * your file size)

• Members

Where yall recording? Remember the guy I tried to steer yall to a long time ago? He just got a reel-to-reel to go along with his cubase and ridiculous console. And he just completed his internship at Chase Park Trans. I'm just sayin...

Archived