Big music will surrender?

• Members

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/08/big-music-will-surrender-but-not-until-at-least-2011/

Pretty dubious source for this article, but it does have the stink of truth on it. Make no mistake, there are highly paid people putting a lot of thought into was to increase RIAA label's stranglehold on music. If today's musicians are as complacent as yesterday's, they will succeed.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A comment from the website in the OP. I have the same opinion... And its kinda funny.

SMALL MUSIC. It’s time to stop worrying about what Big Music is going to do because the public has spoken and said they are no longer interested in supporting anything Big Music has made possible since the ability to record music came into existence.

So, it’s time to think small.

Forget about super stars and the mega concerts - they will be relegated to the past. Woodstock .. never happen again.

Ancillary industries based on the drawing power of major artists -including YouTube, MySpace - radio, TV will find their audiences for music waning and will commit fewer resources to its presentation.

Those considering the creation of music as a way to make a living - will opt to devote their lives to other endeavors.

While, in fact, while we actually might have more choices in music … most of those choices will be provided by amateurs; and, as Big Music stops funding the creation of music we’ll find the available pool of music bigger and bigger and less and less enticing and interesting.

Once Big Music stops focusing the public’s attention on artists through their marketing efforts, the music that will be left will be set adrift to find its on level in a global ocean of music - some of which might find small online groups of people spread across the world, who, because the market will be so deluted, will have little or no impact on the development of artist’s careers.

Technology has made all this possible, and we’ve voted in the way we download music that this is what we want.

So, great. Think small. For those of you who remember what music meant to you in the past… you’re good ’til Alzheimers sets in. For those of you who’ve never lived the great musical adventure of yesteryear … what do you know and why do you care.

It’s your world, kids, you’ll never know the difference.

So come on everybody… let’s get small.

• Members

A comment from the website in the OP. I have the same opinion... And its kinda funny.

I'd agree, except it only seems to apply to rock music. Country, blues, jazz, hip hop just about every other genre still seem to be selling major label CDs.

Maybe there are fewer digital freeloaders or the fans are less tech savvy in those other genres. :confused:

• Members

I'd agree, except it only seems to apply to rock music. Country, blues, jazz, hip hop just about every other genre still seem to be selling major label CDs.

Maybe there are fewer digital freeloaders or the fans are less tech savvy in those other genres.
:confused:

I think you nailed it. I don'T see any other reason why...

• Members

I have to agree, but it is only a matter of time before fans of other genres wise up.

Not sure... Its really a "generation" problem. Kids download and are born with computers. Older folks that are into Jazz, Blues and Classic will never catch up. I'm sure they would feel bad about pirating too.

• Members
Not sure... Its really a "generation" problem. Kids download and are born with computers. Older folks that are into Jazz, Blues and Classic will never catch up. I'm sure they would feel bad about pirating too.

I think that's very true. A coworker of mine who's 21 said he owned four CDs. Four. It was a moment of clarity for me. When he wants music, he gets it free through file sharing (or legitimate online sources). And on top of that it seems that there's a lot more competing for people's time these days - kids aren't really hanging out listening to albums for entertainment like they used to. That could just be perception, I don't know too many teenagers. ;)

• Members

Maybe there are fewer digital freeloaders or the fans are less tech savvy in those other genres.

Honest people? dare I say :confused:

OP -

This article is Bull{censored}. The only thing the BIG guys are doing is pushing to a different audience. Brit, Jonas Bros, and whatever else is created can produce mega stars and they will earn the big bucks on national and global tours.

The rest of the bands will NEVER see a large arena and will play to {censored} clubs trying to earn a buck off stickers. Why do you think NOTHING NEW has been going on? Why can't your indy superstar on myspace get their shot? None of their fans appreciate their work. Hmmm buy a Tee shirt. I'd like to see the guy with 40GB of pirated music have a home big enough to hold all those t-shirts for as many artists they have stolen from. The answer is it's too easy to steal. Nobody is afraid to steal. If they had serious legislation against it, less people would steal it. Many can buy the medium in it's digital capacity. They just don't

The only ones touring are Reunion Bands in Classic rock and other industry mega stars. If you hate their music so be it. They have the big house and Escalades... the others have the beat to {censored} vans and people stealing their music. Yep! truest fan appreciation. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Honest people? dare I say

OP -

This article is Bull{censored}. The only thing the BIG guys are doing is pushing to a different audience. Brit, Jonas Bros, and whatever else is created can produce mega stars and they will earn the big bucks on national and global tours.

The rest of the bands will NEVER see a large arena and will play to {censored} clubs trying to earn a buck off stickers. Why do you think NOTHING NEW has been going on? Why can't your indy superstar on myspace get their shot? None of their fans appreciate their work. Hmmm buy a Tee shirt. I'd like to see the guy with 40GB of pirated music have a home big enough to hold all those t-shirts for as many artists they have stolen from. The answer is it's too easy to steal. Nobody is afraid to steal. If they had serious legislation against it, less people would steal it. Many can buy the medium in it's digital capacity. They just don't

The only ones touring are Reunion Bands in Classic rock and other industry mega stars. If you hate their music so be it. They have the big house and Escalades... the others have the beat to {censored} vans and people stealing their music. Yep! truest fan appreciation.
:lol:

Music pirating is not the number one reason why smaller bands have problems making money. The main problem is the sheer number of bands. The average person will listen to some music, but not 10 000 bands. There are only 24 hours in a day. Offer VS demand.

People have more music that they can handle, and then some.

• Members

Music pirating is not the number one reason why smaller bands have problems making money. The main problem is the sheer number of bands. The average person will listen to some music, but not 10 000 bands. There are only 24 hours in a day. Offer VS demand.

Great post :thu:

• Members

I think that's very true. A coworker of mine who's 21 said he owned four CDs. Four. It was a moment of clarity for me. When he wants music, he gets it free through file sharing (or legitimate online sources). And on top of that it seems that there's a lot more competing for people's time these days - kids aren't really hanging out listening to albums for entertainment like they used to. That could just be perception, I don't know too many teenagers.
;)

There is a lot of competition for time, though I'm a year older and own 8 times as many CDs as he does. Before that, yes, I owned cassettes - not nearly as many because I obviously had less expendable cash when I was younger.

The only reason I don't have 150 CDs like people 10 years older than I am is because I can't afford it and I haven't heard anywhere near 150 CDs worth the money (and that does not mean I preview them via pirating - there are things called live shows, promo materials, radio, iTunes previews, websites, myspace etc.) There were bills to pay even before I got into college, so that hasn't exactly increased my ability to spend.

I'm glad you're not making the blanket generalization that all of my generation is disinclined to purchasing and listening to music. All I have to do is pop up in threads like that and put posters to shame - and it's not very difficult.

Exactly. Or to put it more generally: There are never enough consumers.

• Members

from the article: "Technology has made all this possible, and we’ve voted in the way we download music that this is what we want."

To view illegal downloading as some sort of statement against the music industry is such BS it's not even funny. People do it because it's convenient with zero repercussions and certainly very little issues with one's conscience. If people could steal groceries guilt-free and with zero consequences they would do it. Would that be a statement about the "evils" of supermarkets? Of course not. Statements regarding illegal downloading like "The people have spoken!" have got to go.

• Members

I love that my music is pirated on p2p networks. I have never gotten more exposure in my entire life playing at any dingy club. Its called free advertising, and in my experience that article is completely correct. Mp3s are the best viral commercial going. I embrace the creative commons attribution license model and it works - I have the mailing list signups to show for it.

That is the reason why companies like Live Nation and Disney will kick label butt. Because they own the entirety of the artist - from recordings to movies and merchandise. How can a lone record label compete with that?

• Members

I love that my music is pirated on p2p networks. I have never gotten more exposure in my entire life playing at any dingy club.

Dude, you really need to give it a rest. Yes, you love pirated music because for you music isn't the object. It's a giveaway to get people to avail themselves of your unmusically related products. Which is fine. But you need to stop holding it up as a model for people who actually want to make a living as a musician and not a shill for other services.

And no offense, and I'm not trying to be harsh, but I've listened to your stuff and I can see why you give it away. It's okay but it isn't different, it isn't well performed and it isn't well produced. It's average stuff that would be lost in the mountain of stuff put out every day all over the world. I'm not saying my stuff is any better but I'm not the one out bragging to the forums about how successful my marketing techniques are. You haven't provided any evidence or numbers to demonstrate that what you incessantly preach here about giving it away actually profits you. The fact is, if you had to sell your stuff, I don't think you could. Just my opinion.

If giving it away helps you sell other products I'm happy for you but this isn't what any of us are talking about here.

• Members

I think this article is crap. The bottom line is, if there is no money to be made in selling music anymore then nobody will sell music. The result of that is that fewer artists will make music.

The people who share (steal) music probably wouldn't have bought it to begin with. There are real fans who want to own the music and be a part of it and they will buy it.

I think the use of declining CD sales as an indicator is crap. The reality is that nobody want's a physical disc anymore. I also think that people are tired of paying $15 for 3 or 4 good songs and a bunch of filler.

Maybe the record companies should look at developing the artist like they did in the 60's and 70's instead of trying to release one or two "albums" that sell millions but leave the fans and the artists in the dust for the next flavor of the month.

Scott

• Members

Now it isn't about the music (it never really was) but just like when movies got sound, they put music videos on tv. you have to be the total package!.. do kids just want a fat middle age man who plays like he owns it, or do they want a artist that 1: is on tv, 2. on the net,3. in movies 4.has their own clothing line 5. is in a scandel with some other famous person ect... they don't even have sing! they have equipment for that now!

• Members

I think that's very true. A coworker of mine who's 21 said he owned four CDs. Four. It was a moment of clarity for me. When he wants music, he gets it free through file sharing (or legitimate online sources). And on top of that it seems that there's a lot more competing for people's time these days - kids aren't really hanging out listening to albums for entertainment like they used to. That could just be perception, I don't know too many teenagers.
;)

I was at a music store

the other day, not to buy anything because i usually listen to free pandora, but to promote my band (I know! i'm part of the problem!) and he asked me when was the last cd i bought and he got me! next time i have some cash i'm going to buy some of his tasty records!

• Members

I love that my music is pirated on p2p networks...

I embrace the creative commons attribution license model and it works - I have the mailing list signups to show for it.

If your license allows redistribution , it ain't piracy to share through P2P - it's authorized.

now, if someone stripped the attribution from an attribution-reserved work THAT would be infringing use.

So in the context of an attribution-reserved work,being OK with piracy would address issues more along the lines of, for example "I'm OK with someone using the music in a videogame and not crediting me"

• Members

I was going to jump on the post by danosongs, but BlueStrat beat me to it. BlueStrat was also quite a bit more harsh than what I would have posted, though I have to pretty much agree with it.

With very few exceptions, Internet success is a fraud. For everyone who posts a video on YouTube that ends up somehow generating hundreds of CD sales, there are 10,000 other slobs who tried the same thing and didn't sell a single CD. For most artists, getting your music out to thousands of people on the Internet for free will not result in any sales, or maybe very minimal sales. There are exceptions of course.

I've said it a kabillion times - I'd rather have 20 people in a coffee shop listening to me play than have my song downloaded 1,000 times, because those 20 people are much more likely to buy my CD and because I've got a much better chance at them becoming a fan. A free download is practically meaningless. In the coffee shop, I'm the only thing going on. On the Internet, I'm one out of fifty million other people doing the same thing.

And oh, by the way, people are getting really tired of bands doing Internet marketing. This is one reason that MySpace is losing millions of people to Facebook.

More and more, music is about making a personal, emotional connection. You put on a good show, people have a good time, they want to buy the CD because a) it will remind them of the good time they had and b) they liked your music enough to pay for it. Every artist I talk to says their Internet sales have gone in the crapper over the last year. And again, there are exceptions.

• Members

I was going to jump on the post by danosongs, but BlueStrat beat me to it. BlueStrat was also quite a bit more harsh than what I would have posted, though I have to pretty much agree with it.

With very few exceptions, Internet success is a fraud. For everyone who posts a video on YouTube that ends up somehow generating hundreds of CD sales, there are 10,000 other slobs who tried the same thing and didn't sell a single CD. For most artists, getting your music out to thousands of people on the Internet for free will not result in any sales, or maybe very minimal sales. There are exceptions of course.

I've said it a kabillion times - I'd rather have 20 people in a coffee shop listening to me play than have my song downloaded 1,000 times, because those 20 people are much more likely to buy my CD and because I've got a much better chance at them becoming a fan. A free download is practically meaningless. In the coffee shop, I'm the only thing going on. On the Internet, I'm one out of fifty million other people doing the same thing.

And oh, by the way, people are getting really tired of bands doing Internet marketing. This is one reason that MySpace is losing millions of people to Facebook.

More and more, music is about making a personal, emotional connection. You put on a good show, people have a good time, they want to buy the CD because a) it will remind them of the good time they had and b) they liked your music enough to pay for it. Every artist I talk to says their Internet sales have gone in the crapper over the last year. And again, there are exceptions.

Well I wasn't trying to be harsh but this guy sounds like a broken record about how well he's doing giving it away. What he neglects to mention is that he isn't trying to be successful with music, but using it to promote his other non-music related services. Which is fine. I just wish he'd stop telling everyone it's the path to success in the music biz when it's not even what he's doing.

Archived