Personal Branding

• Members

If you want to make money selling your own tunes, or even playing someone else's tunes, marketing is obviously important, and personal branding plays into that. I've starting reading about 15 music blogs on a regular basis, and sometimes you get great links like this one:

http://www.jobprofiles.org/library/students/100-tips,-tools,.htm

I swear this web page is like a college degree in personal branding. Great tips, great links to great videos, and links to books for those folks who are really into this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

My basics of personal branding on my website and blog are:

- Always include a picture in the header - so many websites and blogs are faceless.

- Always use the first person in the title and posts.

All my blog posts that use the word "My" always get like 10x more Google traffic. For instance "My new royalty free trip hop industrial MP3" versus "New royalty free trip hop industrial MP3" the first one is more interesting I guess.

These two things makes my site and blog "me" and it seems to make a difference.

• Members

Good topic.

No question about that.

Being a graphic artist working at an Ad Agency, I can tell you, branding is about inserting yourself into the collective conscious or at least, making a memorable statement of or for yourself, so "branding" ones self, as you would a band, an artist or a product, is certainly applicable, and necessary, in this day and age. Unfortunately everyone is inundated with so much marketing and PR (good, bad, indifferent) that it's easy to get lost in the mix, even with a good brand image, but it's a path we must go down. I took part in self-branding years ago, and it's never served me wrong, though some folks disparage the approach (shameless self-promoting? spamming? you decide!) it's vitally necessary when people have limited timeframes and everything must be instanteously gratifying.

• Members

What a great resource. Thanks for the post!

I see so many bands - and my previous bands are as guilty as any of them - who just put up a MySpace page and play a few local shows. Their flyers have no pictures of them. Their only recordings are very poor. It leaves no question as to the future of their "brand".

• 5 months later...
  • Members

there's no other way to increase your sales but to do effective marketing strategy. Even if you're promoting online it would be better if you also make offline promotion such as postcard marketing. If you have webpage you can print the link on it and make sure your postcard look great so you can get the attention of your prospects.

• Members

If you want to make money selling your own tunes, or even playing someone else's tunes, marketing is obviously important, and personal branding plays into that. I've starting reading about 15 music blogs on a regular basis, and sometimes you get great links like this one:

http://www.jobprofiles.org/library/students/100-tips,-tools,.htm

I swear this web page is like a college degree in personal branding. Great tips, great links to great videos, and links to books for those folks who are really into this.

hey Richard, would you turn us on to the music blogs you read? :)

• 2 years later...

Archived