Cheap ways to sell cds

• Members

Hey guys, we just released a 5 song ep. You can check it out in my sig. We are using Kunaki for pressing and selling directly from our myspace/website. We've sold about 250.00 worth so far on one show. We've got some in the local mom and pop record store in town, and we have them with us to sell on the fly. However, we feel like we should be trying to broaden the spectrum. We've thought about going the tunecore route.. but if people won't buy it from Kunaki.. would they bother with Itunes, rhapsody etc?

Any free music promotion sites buzzing right now that we should be on?

• Members

Hey guys, we just released a 5 song ep. You can check it out in my sig. We are using Kunaki for pressing and selling directly from our myspace/website. We've sold about 250.00 worth so far on one show. We've got some in the local mom and pop record store in town, and we have them with us to sell on the fly. However, we feel like we should be trying to broaden the spectrum. We've thought about going the tunecore route.. but if people won't buy it from Kunaki.. would they bother with Itunes, rhapsody etc?

Its never going to hurt to try to give people extra avenues to purchase your music.

There is a great chance it will be "accidently" discovered on itunes. So you should have it there. The more options avaliable to purchase your music the more chance of selling.

• Members

A lot of people buy music via the iTunes music store - it's the most popular digital music store in the world. For the average Joe Sixpack, they think it's a "big deal" - they don't realize how easy it is to music up there... and we don't have to tell them. :) Some folks go straight to iTunes first.

I'd definitely recommend getting your music there. You can do it pretty cheap. CDBaby and Tunecore are both options. Tunecore charges less but charges every year. CDBaby is a one time cost.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

How about putting up some clips? I don't know what you sound like and aren't going to buy anything from anywhere based on that.

• Members

- Any free music promotion sites buzzing right now that we should be on?

Sure, the biggest one on the planet - Google.

Bad news is that myspace pages don't do well in the SERPS.

I suggest making your own Website the buzzing place so you can take advantage of the big G.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Its never going to hurt to try to give people extra avenues to purchase your music.

There is a great chance it will be "accidently" discovered on itunes. So you should have it there. The more options avaliable to purchase your music the more chance of selling.

itunes is a nice idea. :thu:

I never thought of them.

Cheers!

• Members

When my old band completed our first EP we put it on itunes and we also spent a couple days making and designing about 500 individually unique sleeves to sell at shows.

We made the sleeves out of packaging paper, typed the track list and other info on the back with an old school typewriter and did the artwork on each one with a bunch of different stencils & spray paint, painted some and let talented friends draw on them so each was unique. we eve numbered them and {censored}.

the discs we had run off by a local guy who put our name and track list on the top.

I can't remember how much it cost to get the discs done but it was cheap and the sleeves cost about $30 total for the supplies. We sold each cd for 6 bucks and sold them all in a couple months at shows. It was a huge profit, a lot of fun to make and a really unique product for the fans.

• Members

I think the OP's issue is really two problems.

First, distribution - Use tunecore .. they will put your stuff for sale on itunes, amazon, etc... cover all ground.

The second issue is marketing.. you need to either do a LOT of reading and research on how to market your band, or go hire a publicist to do it for you.

Bottom line is you can't do one without the other.

• Members

IMDB.com

It might not be your target audience, but there are loads of people (kids to tweens to 50-somethings) on the American Idol message board on IMDB. They're so impressionable and will listen to anything. Just casually (as opposed to spamming) post on there and include a link to your myspace in your signature. They'll click it for sure.:thu:

Here's a link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319931/board

You could also start a topic asking for the names of any new bands that are good or which bands the other users like. Include a list of ones that you like, including your own.

IMDB.com also has a section for music talk. Do the same there.

Lastly, on the Yahoo Answers music section (specifically rock), people are ALWAYS asking if there are any new trendy bands. They’re practically begging for some new music. You could answer their question with your bands name and include a link to your myspace. Or, post a question asking that exact question and then answer as a different user with the bands that you like, and again, include links.

Bam, instant exposure.

It’s like shooting fish in a barrel.

Archived