Essential Info on CD Cover

• Members

We're thinking of putting our new CD on a two panel sleeve. That leaves limited room for text. Does anyone know what is really essential information besides the name of the CD and song titles. Do you have to include the songs times? etc.

I don't think there's a need for song times, though a track listing is a must (obviously).

I, personally, would try to fit as much crucial information as possible in the given space. Here's a random list of junk you'll typically find on an insert...

Outside Panel:

band name

title of cd

Inside Panel:

title again, followed by track listing

band members and their instruments

short thanks (to the producer, friends, fans, whomever, etc.)

contact

website

Personally, I like it when there's a bit more... stuff like...

"Recorded at ____ Studio, Dallas, TX"

"Mixed and mastered by _____, Nashville, TN."

The more "professional" it appears, the more professional people will consider. It's about presentation- just as in an interview for a job. This is your first impression on a new fan, in a sense.

And I know I've seen all this information on a two panel insert. It's all about the design and layout. It'll all fit with the right font, design, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I like to put song times on for radio airplay. Sometimes a DJ (there are a few still left at indie, college, and public radio stations) will need three minutes to fill before a break and will grab a CD and scan the liner for song times. No times listed they just grab another one. I watched this happen several times as I've done numerous radio interviews.

I'd definitely put your internet addresses on it. Put contact info on it as well. I'd also put writer's and publisher's credit (all songs written by _____ c 2009 Bloated Goat music) As far as other things like personnel, studio, engineers, etc goes: Since nearly everyone on the planet has an internet connection I'd put something like "for a full list of album credits, bios, tour dates, merch and other cool stuff visit our bandsite at www.yourbandnamehere.com" Obviously you want to put as much info on as you can without cluttering up the layout, but with the increasing interface between recorded music and the web, there's no need to try to cram it all in.

Archived