Worth investigating: bandcamp.mu

• Members

http://bandcamp.mu

This site seems to be flying under the radar a bit, but it's an amazing idea imho. No crazy profile features, just essential band and album info, and the choice of streaming or charging for your tracks via paypal. You can set your price or let the listener decide "In Rainbows" style.

Their video intro says it better than I ever could...so check it out!

• 7 months later...
  • Members

This is an old post, but I'm digging it up because I just discovered bandcamp myself, and I'm extremely impressed with it. These guys totally get it. The site is extremely fast and responsive, the graphical design is clean and extremely streamlined. I'm in the process of putting my second CD on it. I wish I'd payed attention to Simpleton's post back in 08... would have saved me some time. Go check this site out. You'll be glad you did. The address is actually now www.bandcamp.com.

• Members

Excellent site, thanks for bumping.

I wonder though, isn't it better to get your music on the most visited sites like MySpace? What's your experience with this?

I think the best strategy is to put your music EVERYWHERE. So I do have a MySpace page, a FaceBook page, a Reverbnation page, and so on. But for my own website, the place I send everyone to for more information, I currently have a "music" section, and I'm going to redirect that page to my bandcamp page. And for physical CD's, I always link to my CDBaby page, even inside of bandcamp.

To me, there are a couple of points. One is that when I link to somewhere, I want that to be the best technology possible for the given task. When it comes to allowing people to hear your music, then download either for free or for money (or both,) bandcamp is the best thing I've ever seen. MySpace is a crappy place for doing that stuff. Actually, MySpace is crappy all the way around, from the way it's coded to the people who use it. It has become one big community of musicians trying to pimp their own music. And people are leaving MySpace for Facebook in large numbers.

The other point is that the popularity of MySpace is irrelevant for people like me, because the majority of people looking for new music on MySpace are kids, teenagers, and maybe people in their early 20's... none of which is my demographic. If I were 22 years old and wrote stuff that sounded like (insert alt pop band here,) then I'd spend more time there. But I'd STILL link to my bandcamp page and my CDBaby page.

There are a lot of bands where their MySpace page is their only web presence. That's a big mistake. A MySpace page should be PART of a band's online presence. IMHO.

• Members

Right now, they're taking nothing out of sales... but PayPal does take their chunk. Bandcamp is still determining the best way to monetize. They're thinking of only taking a cut from artists who sell over a certain amount. They're basically asking their clients for input.

Artists have sales deposited into their Paypal account.

So the potential does exist that they may decide to take a big cut, but I doubt it. Everything else they're doing is pretty spot on. They take a big cut, they'll lose most of their clients.

Time will tell.

• Members

I think the best strategy is to put your music EVERYWHERE.

This is a bit problematic . What if everybody does this ( wait ; they all do !!)

Then the noisefloor is raised so high that it mask out the chances of the better material . The labels used to play the role of "gatekeeper " ( nope , they were'nt perfect , not even close !) , But , every tom ,dick and harry cloggs up the bandwith , then how will the consumer ever hear something more than once...

Allot of hit songs became hits because of promotion , and repeated spins by a DJ ( remember payolla!!, maybe not ) any way , the old system may not have been perfect , but there was some method to the madness, so to speak , now it's just pure helter-skelter .

Just my $.02:)

Where is old Dean Roddey when you need him !!!!

• Members

This is a bit problematic . What if everybody does this ( wait ; they all do !!)

Then the noisefloor is raised so high that it mask out the chances of the better material . The labels used to play the role of "gatekeeper " ( nope , they were'nt perfect , not even close !) , But , every tom ,dick and harry cloggs up the bandwith , then how will the consumer ever hear something more than once...

Allot of hit songs became hits because of promotion , and repeated spins by a DJ ( remember payolla!!, maybe not ) any way , the old system may not have been perfect , but there was some method to the madness, so to speak , now it's just pure helter-skelter .

None of that is the point.

The point is, as a musician, are you better off putting your music in one place, or in as many places ads possible? And the answer, if you are trying to gain fans, is to put it as many places as possible.

Yes, the old filters are gone, anyone can put up a CD on iTunes, and MySpace is crammed full of bad amateur bands. We are all waiting for the new filters, and wondering if we will ever GET new filters. It's absolutely no different than what's happening with the professional writers. The old filtering system was getting published. Now anyone can (and does) put up a blog and poof! They're a writer. Without the filters, things are a big mess and everyone now has a voice. As someone trying to find great new music, it makes things hard. As someone trying to put my own music out there, it is light years better than what existed in the 70's and 80's.

And there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. Complaining makes us feel better, but we're better off accepting things as they are, learning the new system, and figuring out the best way to proceed. One way is to use a service like Bandcamp to let listeners stream your entire songs, for free, or download medium quality mp3 files, if you wish. It's just part of the puzzle, but it's a great puzzle piece.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I think the best strategy is to put your music EVERYWHERE. So I do have a MySpace page, a FaceBook page, a Reverbnation page, and so on. But for my own website, the place I send everyone to for more information, I currently have a "music" section, and I'm going to redirect that page to my bandcamp page. And for physical CD's, I always link to my CDBaby page, even inside of bandcamp.

I think it's good to be in every online retail outlet but it's unrealistic to be on every possible band page that's made available. I think MySpace (which is my first choice for sampling a band's tunes), Facebook and Reverbnation are it for "band pages" and then include a band website (which would incorporate Bandcamp for sales/downloads). Online retail-wise I just select "all" with Tunecore and that's it. The difference is maintaining this stuff and you need to limit the sites you actually maintain. Online retail requires no maintenance.

• Members

I love bandcamp.com. You shouldn't really compare it to a social networking site like MySpace, Soundclick, etc., You can use it as your designated digital download page incorporated into your own site. The design is clean, the file conversion options are awesome, and they provide some nice stats and tools.

Archived