WonderlandRockOpera a musical that address pill abuse and has run into an real Iron Curtain.

WonderlandRockOpera

• Members

I wrote a musical to address the conditions of the pill users here in South Florida called www.WonderlandRockOpera.com. No bars will let me perform. Some open mic nights wont even let me play, like the "Big Picture Cafe". They fill up the list once they see me pull in.

Up to this point I have run into a brick wall. Kickstarter rejected my application stating, "this project does not meet our guidelines". All local Theater Companies wont return any messages, so I made my own the "Hollywood Florida Theatrical Troupe" and paid for a Meetup.com group,  which was deemed inappropriate and deleted within 3 days without warning. Every door I get to, seems to shut really fast in front of me. It is as though a communist iron curtain has risen up with all the capitalist flag waving fanfare.

After losing 2 friends to pill use here in South Fl, I concentrated all my artist talent on producing a work to bring awareness to the situation and figure out what was going on. I mean, why is a drug freely sold over the counter "codeine" through the entire world, here now becomes an addictive epidemic. I thought, this is a real Wonderland we live in and just starting writing songs for each Lewis Carroll creature.

More people died last year of pill abuse in Broward county than all the illegal drugs and alcohol put together. The answer has not been probed, no investigation has been performed, no one goes to jail and everyone just looks stupid or the other way. Since this is such a universal issue which has affected each person here in South Florida, in some way WonderlandRockOpera.com now ranks 3rd in Miami, 400 in nation and 600th on earth in the only Rock charts for local performers.

So now I am researching street performance and what I am finding is you can do that, as soon as you leave Florida. http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Acoustic-Guitars/Busking

If I do not get suport from the music community, I will go nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Dear Oscar Petty, City of Hollywood Fl, Mayor, or who it my concern at the Park Authority or ext, ext,

On 18th February 2013 I made three attempts at contacting three different members of the controlling government factions of the ArtsPark at Young Circle in down town Hollywood.

1. Chuck, Karl Program & Events Manager, ArtsPark KChuck@hollywoodfl.org 954 921 3500

2. Betton, Sandra Administrative Assistant sbetton@hollywoodfl.org 954 921 3404

3. Lauridia, Tom Park Ranger Supervisor Park Ranger Supervisor 954 921 3404

On Feb 22 2013, Oscar Petty returned an email and suggested I contact a John Grovold at 954 214 2656, which has yet to return my multiple messages. As of now, I have not received any suitable responding correspondence.

As I see it, I have every right to use the Art Park at Young Circle as a band rehearsal spot, this has been afforded to me by several Constitutional, Federal and Florida State Statues. I am although formally requesting permission, prior to being subjected to the harsh heavy handed treatment of your Park Rangers who have no actual understanding of the Federal and State laws that govern this type of activity.

I have reviewed the governing laws, CITY OF HOLLYWOOD, FLORIDA CODE OF ORDINANCES 2012 S-39, current through Ordinance O-2012-18, passed 9-5-12 as seen here:

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Florida/holywood/cityofhollywoodfloridacodeofordinances

Many laws are in violation of Constitutional, Federal and Florida State Statues. These types of laws have been legally challenged in Florida and through out the United States in documented cases.

Since, I will not be selling any items, collecting any monitory funds or producing a congruent performance for the sole purposes of public entertainment the law of the "ARTSPARK BUSKER AND VENDOR PROGRAM", written in your City Ordinance do not actually apply to me in my circumstance.  I will simple be meeting my fellow band members with our instruments and utilizing a battery operated PA system, as defined by the term rehearsal.

Since your Park Rangers will most likely hold me to this "ARTSPARK BUSKER AND VENDOR PROGRAM", I will then challenge the legality of this program, which violates corresponding Constitutional, Federal and Florida State Statues. I will list below many documented legal cases , which have over turned similar ordinances and laws. Constitutional laws take precedence over state, city or local laws in the current system of governance within the United States.

122.100  SCOPE. ARTSPARK BUSKER AND VENDOR PROGRAM

There is a difference between someone expressing his personal art and expression of freedom and someone pedaling products, wears or hot dogs. This law violates the First and Forth Amendment to the United States Constitution, Right to the Free of Speech. In the USA, free speech is determined as a fundamental right for every individual. It is Constitutional guaranteed by the First and Fourteenth amendments, multiple legal cases have concluded that an individual artistic expression is likewise covered. The act of Busking is legally considered to be a form of artistic free speech and is clearly not panhandling or begging.

The Town of Nantucket tried to regulate buskers as vendors, which the federal court did not accept as valid. SEE; In Goldstein v. Town of Nantucket,

The US Supreme Court has repeatedly rejected attempts to ban First Amendment activity because it also included solicitation or financial gain. See: Schneider v State, 308 US l47, (1939) MURDOCK v. PENNSYLVANIA 319 US 105,. (1943); Bigelow v Virginia, 421 US 809 (1974); Virginia State Board of Pharmacy v Virginia Citizens Consumer Council, 425 US 748, (1975); Schaumburg v Citizens for Better Environment, 444 U.S. 620, (1979) Heffron v. International Soc. for Krishna Consciousness, Inc., 452 U.S. 640 (1981); RILEY v. NATIONAL FEDERATION OF BLIND, 487 U.S. 781 (1988)

122.104  PERMIT REQUIRED; APPLICATION; APPEAL. "applicant must have participated in City's Busker audition".

It has been ruled that the evaluation or audition processes of Buskers prior to performing in a public fora goes against the First and Forth Amendment to the United States Constitution, only a Federal courts can evaluate a form of Free Speech. The City of Hollywood can there for, not evaluate an individual artist expression because it is considered a form of free speech.

Individuals such as Legislators, Mayors, Council Persons, Judges, Police, Park Rangers, security guards, etc. most likely take an oaths to uphold the US Constitution upon designation of their position. Under Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242 to preserve and protect an individual's Constitutional rights and not deprive their Rights Under a Color of Law. Your city ordinance is in direct violation of these basic rights and individuals who take an oath to preserve and protect these rights and then restrict them are subjected strict and sever punishment under federal law.

"Because of the sensitive nature of constitutionally protected expression, [the Court has ] not required that all those subject to overbroad regulations, must risk prosecution to test their rights.  Osborne v. Ohio, 495 U.S. 103, 115 n.12 (1990); DOMBROWSKI v. PFISTER, 380 U.S. 479 (1965); (http://laws.findlaw.com/us/380/479.html)"

Failure of your office to respond to this letter will be considered an act restricting my Civil Rights. By court ruling they do not need to be exercised or challenged to be violated. I do not require a confrontation with the Artspark Rangers to have my civil rights restricted.

It is a Federal Criminal offense, with a maximum statutory sentence of up to 20 years in prison, for one or more persons acting under the color of law to willfully deprive or conspire to deprive another person of any rights protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States. (18 U.S.C. §§ 241, 242). "Color of law" simply means that the person doing the act is using power given to him or her by a governmental agency (local, State, or Federal). A law enforcement officer acts "under color of law" even if he or she is exceeding his or her rightful power.

I demand a letter confirming that any artist can express his personal form of art, as a expression of his or her personal freedoms, sell art and accept donations in the Hollywood Florida ArtsPark and that the ArtsPark Busker program applies only to artists expressing or representing another artists work, such as a cover song, cover band or reproduced or copied painting. These immolated works, I believe do fall into your guild of regulations.

Sincerely,

Billy Jones

Archived