Anyone ever pay their singer more?

• Members

I'm about to audition a female singer. She looks good, and she can sing well. Problem is that during our phone conversation, she was saying something about 'I think the singer should get paid more than others in the band.' I think this is load of BS, unless you are clearly a star/well known, or hiring people for your own band, etc. I wrote back to her that I thought she was great, except that if she expected to get paid more than anyone else, it wouldn't work. It's my band, if anyone gets paid more for the gigs I get the band, it's me.

This girl is very attractive, and she probably knows it, but is that any reason to get paid more? She was touring Europe/Asia with a cover band sharing lead vocals with other singers, so I got the impression that she thinks she should be paid more for being 'full time lead singer', as opposed to her previous gigs where she traded off lead vocals during the 3-4 sets. Lol!

How many of you split gig money equally, or pay the singer more?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+10000 for all of the "steer clear" advice.

In the words of Pink Floyd: RUN LIKE HELL.

Edit: Tell her this:

"Okay, well, hes the full time drummer, so he'll get an extra cut. Hes the bassist and plays some keyboards, so he gets two cuts. I play guitar and harmonica, two cuts for me. And you're the full time singer, so you get an extra cut. Hey, look at that. We're all getting twice as much of a cut. So that means...oh wow, what a coincidence, its the same as before. Oh well."

• Members

RUN FORREST, RUN!!!!
:freak:

Agree with her,,,, just say ,, since guitar players have to abuse their fingers and their backs and have to hold up those heavy guitars .that they have to maintain and keep strings... and sing too ,,,, that your band pays the people who play musical instruments more than singers lol.... Tell her that your policy is to give the person that just has to sing .. a 2/3 cut of a full share lol. then thank her for being aware of the more work more pay rule is ok with her lol. rat

• Members

split it up equal. If she doesn't like it, show her the door.

oh, and then after you show her the door ask her to please leave through that door.

and then, if she has a nice ass watch her leave through the door.

and then never contact her again. well, unless you think you might be able to get in her pants.....then maybe a couple drinks is ok. :o

• Members

+10000 for all of the "steer clear" advice.

In the words of Pink Floyd: RUN LIKE HELL.

Edit: Tell her this:

"Okay, well, hes the full time drummer, so he'll get an extra cut. Hes the bassist and plays some keyboards, so he gets two cuts. I play guitar and harmonica, two cuts for me. And you're the full time singer, so you get an extra cut. Hey, look at that. We're all getting twice as much of a cut. So that means...oh wow, what a coincidence, its the same as before. Oh well."

:lol: Excellent advice! :lol:

Me, I sing lead and play guitar and racked harmonica...when I hire a rhythm section to back me a some of my gigs, I pay them well, but I pay me more, because I do the booking, the promotion, supply the PA (and frequently the bass amp and/or percussion rigs) and all the little things that make it all come together.

That gal is probably a series of headaches looking for a place to happen! :idea:

• Members

I say pay her more - had the same deal back in the disco days - hot blonde slutty type earned her pay for sure, since we got more and better paying gigs with her up front - typical payout was 1200 a week for her and 800 a man for the 4 piece back up - I got an extra 10% for managing this nightmare of a band and it was a real eye-opener to the realities of showbiz - the singer is the band as far as audience, bookers, bar owners, label execs are concerned.

Happy trails!

• Members

I say pay her more - had the same deal back in the disco days - hot blonde slutty type earned her pay for sure, since we got more and better paying gigs with her up front - typical payout was 1200 a week for her and 800 a man for the 4 piece back up - I got an extra 10% for managing this nightmare of a band and it was a real eye-opener to the realities of showbiz - the singer is the band as far as audience, bookers, bar owners, label execs are concerned.

Interesting idea. I'm not sure I'd take that on, but if it was a money-making operation and not just a creative venture, it might work out.

She'd have to PROVE she's worth it, though. Seriuosly prove it.

And haul all the gear. ;)

• Members

All those expenses like sticks and strings can really add up on a guy.

I wonder what HER expenses are.

Tampons?

Unless you live in Evergreen Alabama (?) there are tons of vocalists w/ charm, looks,talent, experience, and yes even youth.

If you've got work or momentum, move on to someone else, shouldn't be a problem.

If you're just starting to build, move on to someone else, it will be better for the future.Otherwise where do you draw the line.Product?Points?

If you DO live in the middle of nowhere, be glad that she returns your calls and give the girl everything she wants while you build your business until she loses what she brings to the party.Then replace her years later with something better. This is assuming she is a subcontractor and not a partner.

• Members

I'd say yes, you'll pay her a little more, then subtract the same amount as 'dealing with a diva' fees and call it even. If you can't see an even split as fair then you ought not to have any musicians onstage with you, sureley you could get the same gigs as a solo act.......

• Members

If she's a good singer, just book the shows and tell her you're giving her extra. Pretend that you're paying everyone else less. Make her think she's getting what she thinks she deserves. Just don't ever let her know what you're really making. ;)

• Members

Interesting idea. I'm not sure I'd take that on, but if it was a money-making operation and not just a creative venture, it might work out.

She'd have to PROVE she's worth it, though. Seriuosly prove it.

And haul all the gear.

It started out a $ thing, but evolved/de-volved into a creative deal. She was a bartender when I met her and had never been in a band. Once we started playing out, it became apparent she was a draw, thus the extra pay, which was worth it for the steady work. She started {censored}ing the bass player, first, then worked her way around the band, causing all kinds of issues, which eventually led to the demise. But the whole thing was a real eye-opener - the singer IS the band as far as most audiences are concerned, so it's worth it to pay them more IMHO. Anyoo, these days i just do a solo act, since it's more fun and waaaaaaaay less stressful.

happy trails!

• Members

There are only two logical reactions to her comment.

1. "Thanks, but your approach to being in a band won't work for us. Good luck to you."

2. "You must be kidding. If you're good enough to make our band, you'll get paid the same, even though you don't play an instrument and probably can't haul heavy gear. That said, you will be expected to help set up and tear down at every gig, and the first time you act like a prima donna we'll throw your ass out of the band."

Archived