when it rains it pours.......

crossways

• Members

I had taken the last year off of playing in a band. In psrt due to my frustrations with bandmates, in part due to fatherhood x 2.

Mostly I have been writing and recording in my home studio, and playing in church. That has been very satisfying.

Just 2 weeks ago I got a call from a coffe-house band that needed a bassist. My schedule has lightened up, and all they want is one friday night a month...so cool! I have actually played out twice with them. I have very little responsibility with them, other than to play my bass, which is fun b/c I consider it my secondary instrument.

Then I have gotten 4 calls about playing my material. All unsolicited. I agreed tentatively b/c I was unsure about pputting together a group, and I wasn't really keen on playing solo.

So I hesitantly made some inquiries for guys that would like to do just these shows. No real band, just back me on my stuff. To my utter suprise I was able to put together the combo plus some (2 drummers available, and a 2nd guitarist)

This is GREAT! We are practicing very little, they are basically learning the stuff off of my cds. No arguing over booking, or set lists, or trying to WRITE during a rehearsal....we just rehearse :freak: .

I am excited. It's not long term which is perfect for me. Hopefully I can play 10 or so shows a year like this and I will be more than happy.

• Members

I agree that that speaks volumes about the quality of music you must write! Congrats on the support!

I appreciate that. I don't know though that it is all that good. Everytime I listen to the music from bands and individuals on this forum I tend to really think my stuff is pretty bush-league.

I think it may speak more to the lack of guys around here that can actually get a project up and gigging.

Most bands around here take forever to get together and agree on a musical format...therefore most practice a lot and never play.

If you already have gigs lined up I think it is more motivation that it's not going to be wasted time. Plus, I was real clear that these were one-offs and I wasn't looking for long-term "band".

• Members

It never gets better than having the gigs come to you. I'd forgotten what a hassle it is until now that my new band is trying to get off the ground. The last couple bands I've been in I didn't have to worry about that.

• Members

Hey man congrats and good luck with your music. Let me tell you something if you listen to the music on my bands site and then listen to my side band which is basically me and whoever wants to join in they are two different animals. My band is hard rock/metal and my side band is alt/acoustic/rock. My opinion it is all about the song and how it touches people. And if you are writing all the tunes yourself that is more credit to you, because there are alot of bands that have to use everyone to write one song.

• Members

... because there are alot of bands that have to use everyone to write one song.

"Have to" or "choose to"?

EDIT - that is to say "have to" insinuates that there is only one person in the band capable of writing anything worth a damn, and anyones else's input is a waste of time. "Choose to" means that some bands trust that a collective of voices oftentimes leads to a stronger song.

Helps to be open to both ways, I think.

• Members

"Have to" or "choose to"?

EDIT - that is to say "have to" insinuates that there is only one person in the band capable of writing anything worth a damn, and anyones else's input is a waste of time. "Choose to" means that some bands trust that a collective of voices oftentimes leads to a stronger song.

Helps to be open to both ways, I think.

Boy, I feel a deja vu discussion coming...................

But FWIW you are absolutely right IMO!

In my old band, it was frustrating at times to come in with material that we A did not use or B had to spend time tooling around with. However, some really great stuff came out of the three of us collaborating.

I think good collaboration sessions are hands down the most successful.

In the early days the lead guitarist would come over and we would sit with 2 guitars turned down low and a drum machine. We turned out three or dour really cool songs that first couple of months.

Then we started trying to write during rehearsals, with a loud drum kit, JSX half stack cranked, and a full bass rig. :eek: I couldn't hear let alone be creative.

So doing it solo is a much better alternative to that situation.

There is actually a guy in the coffehouse band who would like to do some collaboration, so maybe I can get in to some more good writing sessions.

• Members

Then we started trying to write during rehearsals, with a loud drum kit, JSX half stack cranked, and a full bass rig.
:eek:
I couldn't hear let alone be creative.

I agree with you full on here. I generally don't much care for the "lets jam and see what happens" route. We've done it with some success, but it ain't my preference. I was thinking more along the lines of recording down scratch ideas and trading cds n whatnot. I feel alot more productive and creative when I can sit down with the ideas in a non-chaotic environment and really listen to whats there.

Archived