Rant: Got fired from my band yesterday.

ToneGrail

• Members

I've been playing drums with a garage rock band since 2004 as one of the founding members. Yesterday our bass player fired me because my style is too "too precision oriented". He said they had found another drummer with a "looser" (ie - sloppier) feel. As far as I can remember, he and I have been trying to pull the band in opposite directions, with me wanting to sound tighter/crisper and him wanting to sound more "lo-fi garage". I find it kind of ironic that I got axed for being "too good".

Apparently the other members feel the same way according to him. As far as I'm concerned it's their loss. If they want to sound like {censored}e then that's their prerogative. I'm sick and tired of fighting with them about it anyways. I handled it quite gracefully and ended things on good terms with them and they're going to have me play a hyped up "farewell show" in the next few weeks, but I'm still kind of annoyed since I spent so much time, money and effort for the last few years putting my heart and soul into this band. I happen to be the one who managed the finances, booked many of the shows, and maintained the website (because everyone else is too lazy or computer illiterate). I know for a fact that {censored} just isn't going to get done since I was the main motivator of the band.

• Members

Eh, no thanks. I don't want to be in a band where my talent isn't appreciated and also, I wouldn't want to be remembered as a {censored}ty musician to the fans. The new guy has played a show already and some people have already told me that the band isn't the same band without me and that I made them sound so much tighter. Now they sound like any other dime-a-dozen {censored}ty post-punk noise garage band. I'll exit this stage with class and style.

• Members

Bummer bro. You'll find other musicians who are in the same frame of mind as you. And you will be better off.

But, I would never fire someone, then have them come back and play a show..if you WERE vindictive..it could be a disaster. Just wouldn't set myself up for that.

• Members

Well, they know that I'm not that kind of person. I have a reputation for being person upstanding character, which is why I handled it so gracefully. Besides, being vindictive and throwing the show would only make me look like a sloppy musician. I pride myself on my skill and want people to remember me for it.

• Members

It is their loss, but honestly it will probably work out better because atleast now you would be able to find like-minded people and play a style you always wanted to from the start. And you're right drummers are always in demand so finding a band will be easy.

• Members

{censored} happens... I honestly cannot say who's right there, because I haven't heard your band with and without you, and in any case I know nothing of your music genre. But it does sound possible, that your way of playing didn't fit... It's not necessarily a matter of prefering someone worse than you, but a skill-focused playing style may sometimes be counterproductive (think Mike Portnoy trying to play in a country or jazz band).

I think the worst thing is that you were a founding member, and to me that matters. I don't like when a band kicks out founding members, I think the others shouldn't have done that. Maybe the other founding member has some rights, but the latecomers shouldn't have backed him up.

But then now it's done, so just look at it positively as a chance to start a different project!

• Members

kudos for handling it the right way, in a professional manner. From what you describe, once your gone the band is going to grind to a halt anyway. It's funny that band members will take for granted all the "outside" efforts like doing the web page, mailing list, printing flyers, booking gigs, etc. until there is no one there to do it anymore.

Either someone will step up to do it (unlikely) or the band will just sorta peter out.

• Members

Well, they know that I'm not that kind of person. I have a reputation for being person upstanding character, which is why I handled it so gracefully. Besides, being vindictive and throwing the show would only make me look like a sloppy musician. I pride myself on my skill and want people to remember me for it.

True, their loss. Find someone elso who can appreciate attention to detail!

:thu:

• Members

"Through destruction comes creation."

Being fired definitely sucks, BUT it ALWAYS opens the door to newer and better things. A good drummer is an insanely hot commodity, so you'll be on your feet, and hopefully in a better band, in no time. Good luck, fellow rhythm doctor! :thu:

PS: So few musicians could handle that kind of thing with class. Just based upon your posts here, I'd say you're a pro kinda guy and you've got two legs up on 95% of drummers out there.

• Members

I handled it quite gracefully and ended things on good terms with them and they're going to have me play a hyped up "farewell show" in the next few weeks, but I'm still kind of annoyed since I spent so much time, money and effort for the last few years putting my heart and soul into this band.

Well, that's your call man but I couldn't see it - since they prefer ole slopster anyway why not let him have a go at it?

The way I see it if a band wants to {censored}can someone right away, then they need to deal with those consequences and have the replacement guy ready to go.

• Members

I've never heard of anyone looking for a "looser" or sloppier drummer. :confused:

A good drummer, like a good singer, makes everybody play better and the entire band sound better.

I'm trying to think of some form of music where being sloppy on drums will improve the band.

I can't think of any.

And a drummer who also does the thankless grunt work?

They must be tripping.

Sounds like a classic case of "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" to me. People are hard to figure out sometimes.

• Members

Sounds like a classic case of "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" to me.

People are hard to figure out sometimes.

Insecure people aren't hard to figure out though, especially when they have egos.

People with huge's egos always place blame on external forces - self-improvement is not in the cards for those types, nor is working together as a unit.

It's always best I think to be in a band where all members have similar levels of expertise and hopefully no big egos to cloud up the picture...

Archived