How not to quit a band

• Members

Our bass player showed up to practice an hour late without his gear and quit.

He didn't understand that I didn't give a {censored} about him quitting, but seemed surprised when I asked him point blank was he going to move my gear for me?

See, I play keys and it's at least 80 pounds of gear I've got to lug down a hill to my car, and then into the practice space.

Then he's saying "well, I didn't want any drama" - my point to him was only an asshole leaves people to sit around for an hour with no apology (2 of us have cell phones, he has our numbers)- he still didn't get it -guess he was expecting the old "please stay" routine....

Good riddance, don't need people like that in my life...

• Members

Sounds like drama was exactly what he was angling for. Agreed, good riddance.

Exactly.

And get this, he comes in talking about how we are "wasting time" at practice - even though he is the one that can never seem to get his parts straight.

Then he says there's too much "drinking and smoking" - funny cuz there was no drinks in sight at the time, and when it comes to smoking, he's always the first in line...

Then he says "We're not gigging enough" - well, I can't disagree with that but he knows we have (had) a gig ready for the 13th and 14th.

When I told him that, he says "but it's not confirmed" - doofus, the only reason it was not confirmed is because we were waiting to talk to him to make sure he could make it!

All other members had already committed; I swear i felt like smacking his big dumb mouth - I just had to leave the room and laugh at his stupidity...

• Members

What a knuckle-knob. Sounds like you are much better off without him.

"I didn't want any drama" is much like "Its not about the money."

Experience has taught me that the people that scream the loudest about not wanting drama in their life are the ones that constantly find themselves in the middle of it. :rolleyes:

• Members

I often wonder if any of these people are forum members and see their ex-band member's posts.

Wouldn't bother me at all - i told him straight up the same things that are in my post - that only an asshole leaves his bandmates sitting around for an hour with no apology, only to then show up and bail.

That's the beauty of not being afraid to bring bull{censored} to light!

(Hey all you passive aggressive types - get this through your thick-ass skulls will ya!

See how your fear of confrontation just leads to more bull{censored} in the end? Face your problems head on!

You wanna quit a band? Then {censored}ing quit!

Don't show up an hour late hoping people have left so you can "avoid drama"...)

One of the rules I live by is "never say something in public about someone that you would not say to their face" and I'm living it here - so no probs...

• Members

Funny. I recently had almost the same thing happen. Except it was the drummer. It started off in emails.... I told him we should talk. On the phone...in person, whatever....but that email was not the place....

He just kept pushing my buttons. I think he wanted out but wasn't man enough to just tell me.

Towards the end of our email exchange it was almost surreal. He was obviously waiting for me to do or say something that he could jump on to justify his leaving.....

What a loser. With the history we've had with him I should have known.....

Like me..... your better off without him!!

• Members

I am quiting a band but they have had 2 months notice. Curtisey is a {censored}ing rare feature of musicians.

You should have told him to go {censored} himself.

I pretty much did.

He was trying the old "hostage situation" type tactic "unless we get more gigs I quit".

So after telling him what an a-hole he was for leaving us all hanging I said "see you later".

No one tried to talk him out of it; how could you after he pulls some crap like that?

This dood's worn out his welcome all over town, but has this little "side project" going that he must think is going to go somewhere.

The thing is, none of his bands have gone anywhere and he's been doing the band thing for probably 30 years.

It's actually pretty pathetic the more I think about it.

And to cap it off, the guy is one of the lousiest musicians I've ever had the displeasure of working with...

No ear for volume, mix, tempo, anything - always too loud - no dynamics in his playing - man the list goes on.

We thought he'd work out anyway due to his being reliable in the past...I've made it clear to the other guys that i will never again be in any musical situation with that guy...

Archived