The right place at the right time...

ChordGirl

• Members

As I have mentioned before on this board, sometimes our band will split up and do two gigs simultaneously. Last night, the first group got rained out from a small unplugged outdoor gig we do at least once a week. They all went over to an afternoon party hosted by another area musician. Another guy had stopped by on the way to a wedding he was attending. His phone rang around 5:30. It was the groom. The band they hired for the reception called to cancel the reception gig at 4PM because one of their members was in jail. :eek: Reception starts at 7pm. So pretty much immediately, the other half of my band, dressed in blue jeans and shorts for the outdoor gig sitting in the rocks that got cancelled, jumped in a van, grabbed my PA, and headed to the gig over an hour away. They said the wedding was even classier and looked more expensive than the one we did last year at this place, and they felt quite under-dressed and out of place.

tulips.jpg

They came back with $200/man plus $100 total gas money and somehow I got $60 for my PA usage! (Not gonna argue that one.) Wedding folks were pleased as punch to have a band at all. The rest of us played another venue locally for some decent money, too. Happy days...

I guess sometimes things just work out. :)

• Members

I wish I was that versatile.

Potential Client: "We're looking for some chamber music during dinner."

Me: "Will Sweet Child 'O Mine without vocals work?"

Potential Client #2: "I need somebody to play acoustic tunes in my coffee shop for a couple of hours."

Potential Client #3: "I'm going to want you to play Happy Birthday at some point during the night."

Me: "Will Sweet Child 'O Mine with vocals work?"

;)

~Blackbelt

• Members

That's excellent. I love it when things take an unexpected turn and wind better than you could have hoped for.

Potential Client #2: "I need somebody to play acoustic tunes in my coffee shop for a couple of hours."

Potential Client #3: "I'm going to want you to play Happy Birthday at some point during the night."

;)

~Blackbelt

:lol: Thanks for the laugh.

• Moderators

When I was a teenager (don't remember the name for that geologic age, Pre-Cambrian?) I used to go out to see a band called "Giant Smiling Dog." This band was unique in that there were more than a dozen people in it, and GSD often played several venues the same night at the same time. At each break, new members would rotate in and some would leave, presumably headed to relieve members at other shows. It was quite a unique experience to see the whole show and all the styles and artistry they brought to a performance. :)

I learned later that some guy with more imagination and money than business sense had simply hired a dozen or so of the best musicians in town, paid them way too much each night, and assembled "Giant Smiling Dog." I think GSD lasted about a year and a half before it disappeared without explanation, and I started seeing the various members back playing with their original bands again.

Terry D.

• Members

As I have mentioned before on this board, sometimes our band will split up and do two gigs simultaneously. Last night, the first group got rained out from a small unplugged outdoor gig we do at least once a week. They all went over to an afternoon party hosted by another area musician. Another guy had stopped by on the way to a wedding he was attending. His phone rang around 5:30. It was the groom. The band they hired for the reception called to cancel the reception gig at 4PM because one of their members was in jail.
:eek:
Reception starts at 7pm. So pretty much immediately, the other half of my band, dressed in blue jeans and shorts for the outdoor gig sitting in the rocks that got cancelled, jumped in a van, grabbed my PA, and headed to the gig over an hour away. They said the wedding was even classier and looked more expensive than the one we did last year at this place, and they felt quite under-dressed and out of place.

tulips.jpg

They came back with $200/man plus $100 total gas money and somehow I got $60 for my PA usage! (Not gonna argue that one.) Wedding folks were pleased as punch to have a band at all. The rest of us played another venue locally for some decent money, too. Happy days...

I guess sometimes things just work out.
:)

That's great! It's so seldom (fma) that a gig doesn't involve at least one issue with equipment, employer, weather, time, personnel, vehicle.......in fact, if we hadn't been pressed for time we would have dropped by your gig at the brewery in Kirkwood on our way back from a gig in Maryland Heights. Sounds like we're playing some similar stuff.

Is that pic from the botanical gardens?

• Members

;)

~Blackbelt

The good news is, if someone requests GNR, you got it covered! ;) I thought you were the one man band??? :confused:

• Members

When I was a teenager (don't remember the name for that geologic age, Pre-Cambrian?) I used to go out to see a band called "Giant Smiling Dog." This band was unique in that there were more than a dozen people in it, and GSD often played several venues the same night at the same time. At each break, new members would rotate in and some would leave, presumably headed to relieve members at other shows. It was quite a unique experience to see the whole show and all the styles and artistry they brought to a performance.
:)

I learned later that some guy with more imagination and money than business sense had simply hired a dozen or so of the best musicians in town, paid them way too much each night, and assembled "Giant Smiling Dog." I think GSD lasted about a year and a half before it disappeared without explanation, and I started seeing the various members back playing with their original bands again.

Terry D.

That's very similar to us, except the top dollar thing. Our bandleader has run this band like this for 6 years. He jokes around that we've had a total of 42 members since the beginning, but I'll bet there have been at least 25 musicians in and out over the course of six years. We currently have 12 people to pull from, but we only used three at each of the Friday night gigs. Most of us are involved in other projects, too. Our bandleader books the gigs and figures out the line up later.

• Members

That's great! It's so seldom (fma) that a gig doesn't involve at least one issue with equipment, employer, weather, time, personnel, vehicle.......in fact, if we hadn't been pressed for time we would have dropped by your gig at the brewery in Kirkwood on our way back from a gig in Maryland Heights. Sounds like we're playing some similar stuff.

Fortunately, between all of the members, we have 4 PA's to choose from. It just so happened that mine was the only one available that night.

That is a picture of the Jewel Box in Forest Park, although the botanical gardens here are quite beautiful as well. The Jewel Box was originally built in 1936 and re-opened in 2002. It's filled with beautiful plants and small trees. I'm sure it cost a bunch to rent it out, since it cost 3.5 million to renovate.

I hope your gig went well here!

• Members

in fact, if we hadn't been pressed for time we would have dropped by your gig at the brewery in Kirkwood on our way back from a gig in Maryland Heights. Sounds like we're playing some similar stuff.

Does this mean that you're no longer wandering the desert, but have instead found your way out of Egypt?

:confused:

:wave:

~Blackbelt

• Members

Fortunately, between all of the members, we have 4 PA's to choose from. It just so happened that mine was the only one available that night.

That is a picture of the Jewel Box in Forest Park, although the botanical gardens here are quite beautiful as well. The Jewel Box was originally built in 1936 and re-opened in 2002. It's filled with beautiful plants and small trees. I'm sure it cost a bunch to rent it out, since it cost 3.5 million to renovate.

I hope your gig went well here!

The gig went well, we played at the park that overlooks Lake Creve Coeur. Did you play inside that building, or were you out in the steam?

• Members

The gig went well, we played at the park that overlooks Lake Creve Coeur. Did you play inside that building, or were you out in the steam?

That's the place we played last summer inside--most money I've ever gotten for a gig. I was just using it as a reference, since the wedding my buddies played was even more impressive. It was beautiful inside that place.

Of course no one thought to whip out the camera phones and take a pic.

• Members

;)

~Blackbelt

LMAO

Archived