• Last Reply
  • Members

I could simplify that one quite a bit.

Should you play it?

|

|

V

No

LOL...that's how our flow chart works now...but for years, we played it. I'm sure if we broke it out this weekend, it would pack the floor. It defies explanation.....

• Members

LOL...that's how our flow chart works now...but for years, we played it. I'm sure if we broke it out this weekend, it would pack the floor. It defies explanation.....

Really... never played it... never had it requested? I'm 40 and I could never imagine ever having someone from my age group respond to this song. Then again we're in a differen't area of the country... here you could play "Living On A Prayer" and people 8-80 are singing along to it.

• Members

We played a big gig on Saturday at a local "beach club". We are close with the staff and they wanted us to come back the next afternoon to catch a group call The Amish Outlaws. These guys played stuff all over the place including "Shout - Otis Day" and others and young girls were dancing. I've definitely had the dance floor packed with 20 somethin's before with MS. As it's been said before (probably by you Grant) it's more in the delivery than the song. With that said...we retired it 5 years ago and it was only on the set list as an "easy-add" song to get back out after a member change. Oh...the Bon Jovi stuff goes over great in MD too!

• Members

We played a big gig on Saturday at a local "beach club". We are close with the staff and they wanted us to come back the next afternoon to catch a group call The Amish Outlaws. These guys played stuff all over the place including "Shout - Otis Day" and others and young girls were dancing. I've definitely had the dance floor packed with 20 somethin's before with MS. As it's been said before (probably by you Grant) it's more in the delivery than the song. With that said...we retired it 5 years ago and it was only on the set list as an "easy-add" song to get back out after a member change. Oh...the Bon Jovi stuff goes over great in MD too!

I know the Outlaws... we play in the same clubs, circles and have similar setlists... and we play 'Shout' to a huge crowd response (3:30 mins in). 'Shout' was in possibly the most famous college movie in film history and it's still used in film and advertising. "Mustang Sally" was big 40 years ago and had a small revival with 'The Committments' 20 years ago... but the only time I've heard bands play it in my area to a decent response is the wedding/hotel lounge over 40 crowd. True ... it's all in the delivery still you need to have some association with younger audiences to get them to buy into it. Maybe a little... geography and demographics. Here in NY there's not enough youth association with the song. With "Shout' we mash in a Beastie Boys tune. The Outlaw's have a definite 'schtick' when delivering nostalgic tunes. Did they play MS?. I'm guessing not. I'm sure if we were playing a wedding or a public event to a mixed crowd we could get some people to respond. But both our bands (Nuts & Outlaws) could play Sinatra or Neil Diamond to a big response... I'm guessing neither band could deliver "Mustang Sally" to club younger goers in a way that would generate a decent response. It's just the material... any way you slice it it's a 60's funk anthem.

• Members

I know the Outlaws... we play in the same clubs, circles and have similar setlists... and we play 'Shout' to a huge crowd response (
. 'Shout' was in possibly the most famous college movie in film history and it's still used in film and advertising. . Did they play MS?. I'm guessing not. I'm sure if we were playing a wedding or a public event to a mixed crowd we could get some people to respond. But both our bands (Nuts & Outlaws) could play Sinatra or Neil Diamond to a big response... I'm guessing neither band could deliver "Mustang Sally" to club younger goers in a way that would generate a decent response. It's just the material... any way you slice it it's a 60's funk anthem.

I didn't stay for all of the Amish Outlaws show, but they didn't do MS when I was there...thankfully. I certainly don't want to be painted in the corner of defending the tune as a staple for a younger audience but I have witnessed it working first hand. Our material is very current and we'll never add a tune like MS again (should probably never say never), but I do agree that nostalgic stuff like "Shout" or "Sweet Caroline" can be a sing-a-long, beer-swilling campy goodness with crowds of all ages. Hell I've seen "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" work the same kind of way.

Anyway...just posted the flow-chart since MS has been "that song" for a lot of bands for years and has been almost as hotly debated as music stands (the other MS). I'm guessing "Crazy Bitch" will make the flow chart in 10 years.

• Members

Outlaws are a terrific band BTW.... like The Nerds they have a very marketable schtick which enables them to cover almost any song without any prejudices. Singer used to be in Stand Up comedy I think. They've had a pretty staic line up for the last eight years they've been together.

• Members

most of the people who request it with us (and it gets requested a LOT) are female, very cute and usually under 25.

As I said I'm sure geography has alot to do with it. You also get requests for the Gin Blossoms and alot of other 90's bands that fall flat here. Then again your probably not getting alot of requests to cover the Fugees. It could be that no one just thinks to ask for it... or maybe we're just a little ahead of the curve over here. ;)

• Members

Really...
never played it... never had it requested?
I'm 40 and I could never imagine ever having someone from my age group respond to this song. Then again we're in a differen't area of the country... here you could play "Living On A Prayer" and people 8-80 are singing along to it.

Pretty well all age groups respond to stang , if you can lay it down well. Its a great dance song. The vocals could be better on his version , but they got it going on big time in the boiler room. Do you think the hotties would dance to this groove?

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+blues+brothers+mustang+sally&view=detail&mid=AE623DF4D870A8C46678AE623DF4D870A8C46678&first=0&FORM=LKVR6

• Members

Pretty well all age groups respond to stang , if you can lay it down well. Its a great dance song.

True and true. But truth is, we almost never play it. There are 100 other songs that work just as well that we'd rather play. Last time we played it was at a corporate gig a few weeks back because Joe Hotshot wanted to get up and sing it with us. No problem. Other than that, we might drag it out at a gig where we've got virtually no one under 50 in the room and we need it to pad out a set with more oldies.

• Members

True and true. But truth is, we almost never play it. There are 100 other songs that work just as well that we'd rather play. Last time we played it was at a corporate gig a few weeks back because Joe Hotshot wanted to get up and sing it with us. No problem. Other than that, we might drag it out at a gig where we've got virtually no one under 50 in the room and we need it to pad out a set with more oldies.

Thats cool ... we do it from time to time. We play to an all age crowd most of the time. Its a good song for an organ solo, so it works for me. I look at it like its just a song thats got a good groove for dancing. I dont see not doing stang as a way to fend off the old age or makin anything more hip.

If it looks like we have some stangers in the crowd , we play it. we dont worship at the fountain of youth. Its not like we run a 60 song setlist,,,,,so if you do stang , you still got like 5 or 6 hundred other songs in the toy box.

• Members

Thats cool ... we do it from time to time. We play to an all age crowd most of the time. Its a good song for an organ solo, so it works for me. I look at it like its just a song thats got a good groove for dancing. I dont see not doing stang as a way to fend off the old age or makin anything more hip.

No, I don't see it as that either. Like you said, young people like it too. If we did it every night it would work every night. We'd just rather NOT do it. Sweet Home Alabama and Brown Eyed Girl are in the same catagory---we know 'em & they kill every time with all ages. But we have other stuff we'd RATHER play that works just as well. So unless there's some bigger compelling reason to pull 'em out, we don't.

• Members

most of the people who request it with us (and it gets requested a LOT) are female, very cute and usually under 25.

Not saying this is the reason in your case, but I think a lot of times the reason young girls request songs like MS, BEG and SWA is they are the only "old" songs they can think of that they know and like that they figure the old guys on stage probably know as well.

I can remember going to check out (at least what passed for) "dad" bands when I was younger in the 70s and 80s. It was obvious that requesting something new and hip would be futile. Those guys weren't going to play Joe Jackson or Billy Idol. So we'd request "Johnny B Goode" or "That'll Be The Day" or something like that. Wasn't necessarily what we MOST wanted to hear, but they were decent enough songs we could have fun dancing to with and we were reasonably sure that those bands probably knew those songs.

• Members
Not saying this is the reason in your case, but I think a lot of times the reason young girls request songs like MS, BEG and SWA is they are the only "old" songs they can think of that they know and like that they figure the old guys on stage probably know as well.

I can remember going to check out (at least what passed for) "dad" bands when I was younger in the 70s and 80s. It was obvious that requesting something new and hip would be futile. Those guys weren't going to play Joe Jackson or Billy Idol. So we'd request "Johnny B Goode" or "That'll Be The Day" or something like that. Wasn't necessarily what we MOST wanted to hear, but they were decent enough songs we could have dancing to with and we were reasonably shure that those bands probably knew those songs.

I get what you are saying, but that wouldn't be the reason in our particular case.

• Members

I can remember going to check out (at least what passed for) "dad" bands when I was younger in the 70s and 80s. It was obvious that requesting something new and hip would be futile. Those guys weren't going to play Joe Jackson or Billy Idol. So we'd request "Johnny B Goode" or "That'll Be The Day" or something like that. Wasn't necessarily what we MOST wanted to hear, but they were decent enough songs we could have fun dancing to with and we were reasonably sure that those bands probably knew those songs.

Ok so now a request for BEG or Stang by a young person is a sympathy request to the old guys. :facepalm: You are pathetic. LOL

• Members

Ok so now a request for BEG or Stang by a young person is a sympathy request to the old guys.
:facepalm:
You are pathetic. LOL

Didn't say it was a "sympathy request". I already agreed with you that young people LIKE THOSE SONGS. But who wants to request something they know isn't going to get played? You go with something you figure you're gonna have a reasonable chance of success with.

• Members

I just realized. Somehow I've managed to go through my entire life with only hearing the song once. I consider myself quite fortunate.

Not sure I would consider being a musician who was not familiar with major songs from other eras and genres to be "fortunate", but whatever...

Archived