Ok so what's new? what have you added?

jeff42

• Members

its a rainy day and I don't feel like working so I'll start another what have you added lately posts.

Here's what my 2 bands added recently (either full songs or parts in medleys)

There & Back Again just added:

Drive By- Train

Everybody Talks- Neon Trees

Everybody talks went over very well on Saturday!

Ostrich Hat just added:

Drive By- Train

Sweetness- Jimmy Eat World

And new Additions to our ever growing Rap/ R&B Medley:

California Love- Tupac

Lose Yourself- Eminem

It Wasn't Me- Shaggy

Thong Song- Sisq

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

its a rainy day and I don't feel like working so I'll start another what have you added lately posts.

Here's what my 2 bands added recently (either full songs or parts in medleys)

There & Back Again just added:

Drive By- Train

Everybody Talks- Neon Trees

Everybody talks went over very well on Saturday!

Ostrich Hat just added:

Drive By- Train

Sweetness- Jimmy Eat World

And new Additions to our ever growing Rap/ R&B Medley:

California Love- Tupac

Lose Yourself- Eminem

It Wasn't Me- Shaggy

Thong Song- Sisq

• Members

And 'We Are Young-Fun!'... which has been killing it at shows

The new "Don't Stop Believin'" maybe. At least for now.

We were thinking of singing that song over the Tears for Fears "Shout" drum beat and maybe throwing in a chorus or two of that just to see if anyone would play along.....

....might have "fail" written all over that one though.... :lol:

• Members

Just some old stuff for the most part but I've added at least a dozen in the past 3 weeks

Alison- Elvis Costello

Blackbird- Beatles

Drops of Jupiter- Train

Fiddler's Green- Tragically Hip

Wheat Kings- Tragically Hip

Hey Jealousy- Gin Blossoms

Stranger than Your Sympathy- Goo Goo Dolls

Where are you Going?- Dave Matthews Band

Dreams- Fleetwood Mac

• Members

The new "Don't Stop Believin'" maybe. At least for now.

We were thinking of singing that song over the Tears for Fears "Shout" drum beat and maybe throwing in a chorus or two of that just to see if anyone would play along.....

....might have "fail" written all over that one though....
:lol:

For two more months maybe... ;) We replaced 'Pumped Up Kicks' with it. Personally I've never experienced a song like 'DSB'. We play alot of songs that have legs, but that song we must have played over 500 times and it has never not gotten a monster reaction at our gigs. When ever a sing-along like this comes around we'll rest DSB for a few shows and then bring it out again to huge reaction. I will say we cover the song very well but still for every one person that's rolling their eyes in the back of the room there 25 people scrambling to get close to a mic to scream their hearts out. It is the ultimate 80's Power Anthem.

• Members

It is the ultimate 80's Power Anthem.

It is. And it's old enough that it gets a huge reaction from all age groups. It's our standard closer. Since most of our gigs are weddings or other events where most of the guests are family or friends, it always turns into a big family sing-along deal. Plus the whole Journey/Bay Area/SF Giants thing makes it huge out here as well.

Starting to see ads for the upcoming "Rock of Ages" movie coming out next month. LOOKS funny, anyway. If it becomes a hit, I would expect new interest/awareness in a lot of the songs used in the soundtrack:

"Paradise City"

"Sister Christian" / "Just Like Paradise" / "Nothin' but a Good Time"

"Juke Box Hero" / "I Love Rock 'n' Roll"

"Hit Me with Your Best Shot"

"Waiting for a Girl Like You"

"More Than Words" / "Heaven"

"Wanted Dead or Alive"

"I Want to Know What Love Is"

"I Wanna Rock"

"Pour Some Sugar on Me"

"Shadows of the Night" / "Harden My Heart"

"Here I Go Again"

"Can't Fight This Feeling"

"Any Way You Want It"

"Undercover Love"

"Every Rose Has Its Thorn"

"Rock You Like a Hurricane"

"We Built This City" / "We're Not Gonna Take It"

"Don't Stop Believin'"

• Members

It is. And it's old enough that it gets a huge reaction from all age groups. It's our standard closer. Since most of our gigs are weddings or other events where most of the guests are family or friends, it always turns into a big family sing-along deal. Plus the whole Journey/Bay Area/SF Giants thing makes it huge out here as well.

Starting to see ads for the upcoming "Rock of Ages" movie coming out next month. LOOKS funny, anyway. If it becomes a hit, I would expect new interest/awareness in a lot of the songs used in the soundtrack:

"Paradise City"

"Wanted Dead or Alive"

"I Wanna Rock"

"Pour Some Sugar on Me"

"Here I Go Again"

"Any Way You Want It"

"Undercover Love"

"Don't Stop Believin'"

I've seen it on Broadway... twice. Terrific musical. Movie... well remember the remake of the Producers. We'll see. I'm not hopeful. But the songs may get a bump like they did a few years back from Guitar Hero. That would be helpful since there's not alot going on in the nostalgia department these days.

• Members

I've seen it on Broadway... twice. Terrific musical. Movie... well remember the remake of the Producers. We'll see. I'm not hopeful.

I saw the second run of the original production when it was the hottest ticket in LA (Scott Ian, Brian Posehn and Lisa Loeb in attendance the night we were there, and Chris Hardwick, Tenacious D's KG (Kyle Gass) & Dan Finnerty (from "the Dan Band") in the cast).

I know a sucker is born every minute, but I am a betting man and my gut says the movie version fails big; I just don't buy it being a hit unless the script is massively different than the original story...and even then...nah.

Then again, apparently sheeple dance like crazy to Pour Some Sugar on Me...so who knows?

• Members

I saw the second run of the original production when it was the hottest ticket in LA (Scott Ian, Brian Posehn and Lisa Loeb in attendance the night we were there, and Chris Hardwick, Tenacious D's KG (Kyle Gass) & Dan Finnerty (from "the Dan Band") in the cast).

I know a sucker is born every minute, but I am a betting man and my gut says the movie version fails big; I just don't buy it being a hit unless the script is massively different than the original story...and even then...nah.

Then again, apparently sheeple dance like crazy to Pour Some Sugar on Me...so who knows?

Impossible to tell if a movie is going to be a hit from the previews, and I never saw the original show, but the movie looks to be VERY high camp. So I imagine young people will either find it hilarious or ridiculously stupid. But comedies and musicals often don't really a find an audience until they hit cable and DVD. So this thing could flop and still be successful in the long term. And even if it is a complete flop, millions of people will probably still see it eventually anyway and some of those songs will gain new recognition nonetheless.

It doesn't take much, really. Songs being used to TV commercials have brought them back to life. Sweet Caroline and Don't Stop Believin' are big largely because they get used at sporting events.

• Members

Livin on the Edge - Aerosmith

Countrified - Halfway to Hazard

Both are respectable versions. Both seem to go over well. Both just got dropped and replaced by two mid-tempo sleepers that we played last year. I guess they rocked too much for the show and am baffled at why they are rotated out after two gigs.

• Members

Livin on the Edge - Aerosmith

Countrified - Halfway to Hazard

Both are respectable versions. Both seem to go over well. Both just got dropped and replaced by two mid-tempo sleepers that we played last year. I guess they rocked too much for the show and am baffled at why they are rotated out after two gigs.

That is a great song! I always wanted to tackle that, and I even proposed it a few years back and it was declined. I think our singer was pretty against it for understandable reasons. For a country band I can see this being a great setlist tune. It almost has a southern boot stompin anthem feel to it!

• Members

"Paradise City"

"Wanted Dead or Alive"

"I Wanna Rock"

"Pour Some Sugar on Me"

"Here I Go Again"

"Any Way You Want It"

"Undercover Love"

"Don't Stop Believin'"

My rock band does a couple of these already and I would like to add half of that list to our set list. I think the movie will suck, but the tunes will probably get a boost in airplay.

• Members

Just some old stuff for the most part but I've added at least a dozen in the past 3 weeks

Alison- Elvis Costello

Blackbird- Beatles

Drops of Jupiter- Train

Fiddler's Green- Tragically Hip

Wheat Kings- Tragically Hip

Hey Jealousy- Gin Blossoms

Stranger than Your Sympathy- Goo Goo Dolls

Where are you Going?- Dave Matthews Band

Dreams- Fleetwood Mac

WOW! Those are some killer songs to add. Very nice stuff!

• Members

I think it's funny that you are so down on PSSOM. I think you were banging on it in another thread. It has always worked for us. And trust me, we drop songs like hot bricks when they clear the dance floor. We have had that song in the setlist for a long long time. Funny how regional tastes differ.....Chicago/L.A.

Last week we added (against my vote btw) Since you been gone (KC) Just a Girl (ND) and Respect (AF). The singer wanted to do them bad. They made the cut in rehearsal so we took them live and they did pretty damn good.......you never know till you try I guess.

• Members

Even with our bass player woes (we finally rehired the guy who we had let go back in January- long story for another time but everything worked out) we've added 3 new songs. All old ones:

Heatwave- Martha and the Vandellas (this is going over great as a dance song)

Get Ready- Temps- it's working but jury is still out on how it will work long term.

Bennie and the Jets- went over great at it's debut last Friday but we'll have to feel it out at the various rooms to see how it works long term. Using this as a set opener.

• Members

I think it's funny that you are so down on PSSOM.

I think you may want to re-read my posts if you're under the impression that I'm 'down' on PSSOM or have a generally negative opinion on the song.

Never said anything of the sort.

What I DID say in that other thread was that, in context of 'dance' songs, I find it odd/weird/funny/etc. that particular song works for a number of bands, because the original song is SLOW & PLODDING, in terms of what one would generally consider 'dance' music. Even for those who goose the BPMs to ~100 or so, for 'dance' music, that's still very...tepid (and I'm not comparing that to some uber-fast & crazy techno beats or anything).

• Members

I think you may want to re-read my posts if you're under the impression that I'm 'down' on PSSOM or have a generally negative opinion on the song.

Never said anything of the sort

What I DID say in that other thread was that, in context of 'dance' songs, I find it odd/weird/funny/etc. that particular song works for a number of bands, because the original song is SLOW & PLODDING, in terms of what one would generally consider 'dance' music. Even for those who goose the BPMs to ~100 or so, for 'dance' music, that's still very...tepid (and I'm not comparing that to some uber-fast & crazy techno beats or anything).

It doesn't work because it's SLOW & PLODDING. It works because it's PSSOM.

• Members

It doesn't work because it's SLOW & PLODDING. It works because it's PSSOM.

In other words, one could say it works despite being SLOW & PLODDING, which would be the reason someone might be surprised that it works in the first place.

• Members

In other words, one could say it works
despite
being SLOW & PLODDING, which would be the reason someone might be surprised that it works in the first place.

Sure you could say that...but you didn't.

Archived