Just made a stage plot for Saturday's gig...post yours!

• Members

Just finished this a couple minutes ago. For a minute I was really getting detailed with the pedals and had to step away. But all the bases are covered and I think it's pretty easy to understand. Anybody else draw these up for their gigs?

CAPTIONS_lavastage.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here is ours. I didn't indicate mics on the amps because it would have been a lot going on and with the black and white layout it would not have helped. I figure the sound guys who ask for stage plots are going to know how to mic an amp...

396344_291876370868226_273270286062168_7

• Members

Here is ours. I didn't indicate mics on the amps because it would have been a lot going on and with the black and white layout it would not have helped. I figure the sound guys who ask for stage plots are going to know how to mic an amp...

396344_291876370868226_273270286062168_7

Hey Jon, is that a praise band setup?

Oh and time to change your name to "GuitarRed" you traitor you. :mad:

:poke:

:wave:

• Members

Too much detail on both of them, have either of you ever seen a real stage plot? Basically line drawings of where the amps and drums are, with directions where to place mics.

• Members

Too much detail on both of them, have either of you ever seen a real stage plot? Basically line drawings of where the amps and drums are, with directions where to place mics.

Not in my world. All the plots I see have monitors along with mix #, power drops, snake position, list of channel numbers, etc... Basically everything a third party needs to get the band setup correctly and have everything wired the way that the band is looking to see it. They also contain a bunch of notes and comments. Any changes have to be approved by the performer. I've never seen a simple stick figure stage plot.

Lots of them are from this site:

http://freestageplots.com/

• Members

Not in my world.

The sites with the clip-art guitars/keyboards/amps, etc...

Those don't get used IME...not by pros who tour.

A square or rectangle for an amp, a trapezoid for a wedge, a rough stick version of a mic stand to indicate straight or boom. NEVER saw an actual clip-art or pasted .jpeg on a single plot until I started looking at weekend warrior-type plots here.

Never saw anything with pedals/pedal-boards either, and everybody, please:

Having the name of the performer does not work.

GTR SL, GTR SR, GTR CTR, etc. (instrument with position) is what you need. If you really feel you're going to get a FOH or MON engineer who'll try to learn your names for this one gig, then at best have something like GTR SL (Fred).

• Members

GTR SL, GTR SR, GTR CTR, etc. (instrument with position) is what you need. If you really feel you're going to get a FOH or MON engineer who'll try to learn your names for this one gig, then at best have something like GTR SL (Fred).

TRUE. Never see pedals or names. Position is important. Sometime I'll write the person's name myself so I can communicate via talkback to a particular person.

• Members

Not in my world. All the plots I see have monitors along with mix #, power drops, snake position, list of channel numbers, etc... Basically everything a third party needs to get the band setup correctly and have everything wired the way that the band is looking to see it. They also contain a bunch of notes and comments. Any changes have to be approved by the performer. I've never seen a simple stick figure stage plot.

Lots of them are from this site:

I meant the cutsie little pics of guitars, pedals and the such. I agree with the channels, power requirements etc though...

• Members

OK, I only post here once in a while as I'm a sound guy rather than a band member and I mostly hang out over at the live sound board but I like to lurk and see what's happening...

From my perspective looking to setup a stage in advance of the band being there, none of the examples so far are what I want to see, although spacenormans comes close. Too many cute drawings and icons just make a stage plot hard to read so KISS. Basic stage layout is good, lots of pedal board drawings are unnecessary and just clutter it up. I don't care if you have a pedal board, but I do care if it needs a power drop. I like names too so that when I'm trying to soundcheck I can use them instead of "hey stage right guitar dude". Mark or Dick or whatever works better because too many guitar dudes don't know where stage right is... :-) Present company excepted I'm sure.

The stage layout part is just for a basic idea of where I'm going to put what you need and should include AC power drops and monitor mix numbers, basic instruments and name. But the thing I'm going to spend more time looking at when I'm switching over from the previous band is the input list. I need to easily see how many inputs you use without trying to figure it out from your custom stage plot drawing. The input list is where you also list any specific mic needs or type of mic stand you like, single DI for keys or stereo etc. Also list if you are bringing your own mics so we don't put one out for you and then just have to take it back again.

Here's a real basic stage plot I made for my wife's band. http://home.comcast.net/~sisterwives/SisterWivesStagePlot.pdf

PS. Make sure the contact info is up to date.

• Members

Not in my world, either, and that includes a number of years working for a large backline/sound provider. Plots we got would be from name national touring acts.

However...

Not in my world.

The sites with the clip-art guitars/keyboards/amps, etc...

Those don't get used IME...not by pros who tour.

A square or rectangle for an amp, a trapezoid for a wedge, a rough stick version of a mic stand to indicate straight or boom. NEVER saw an actual clip-art or pasted .jpeg on a single plot until I started looking at weekend warrior-type plots here.

Funny, I saw some really rudimentary stage plots in my day that didn't really seem to help. I think if you get too basic, it's not worth even having one. I saw a couple in my soundguy days that were more like the one I posted, and from my perspective it gave me a better understanding of the stage setup. If you can't understand it, I think you've got some kind of attitude problem that is blocking you from understanding it. Everything you need (AC drops, Mix #'s, vocal mics) are called out and you can see where stuff is going on the stage - pretty basic and easy to read in my opinion.

Now, this would be accompanied by an input list, but this thread wasn't about an input list.

In my opinion the names really do help. I prefer to look at you and state your name when I'm asking/directing you to do or don't do something and think from the psychological standpoint it does wonders for gaining people's respect. If you just want to bark 'Stage Right' or 'Other guitar' than that is up to you, I'm just telling you that as a performer I prefer to be spoken to like a person... But the guys I play with would also understand if you used Stage locations (Stage Right, etc...) so if that's what you are more comfortable with, we're cool with that too. Imagine that, a band shows up WITH a stage plot AND gives you options... WOW..

For the most part, our plot I posted here was made so I could put it on our Facebook page as a backup/easy link. I've hand drawn the thing on a promoter's paperwork before too. Now THAT was a simplified stage plot.. Both work just fine

• Members

From the perspective of a tech in a concert hall setting, it helps if you have a scale on your stage plot. We have a 40' proscenium width, and a 12' thrust downstage of the chalk line, and 28' upstage. Letting me know how far upstage from the lip of the stage you want to be makes it easier for me to have your front line and drum riser in the right place, etc.

I recognize that my house is probably very different than most venues you are going to, but I offer it as food for thought.

Mark C.

• Members

I still don't understand why anyone includes FOH stuff on their plot.

Mine includes references to PA (i.e., board, amp rack, FOH speakers, etc.) - because the vast majority of time, we provide our own PA - and I'm providing the stage plot picture to event planners (as opposed to sound guys). The event planner is in turn working with the venue (typically banquet facilities) to arrange for portable staging. In some instances, it's to "justify" the 12' x 16' chunk of real estate we consider to be our MINIMUM space requirement. It's one of those cases where a picture is worth a thousand words.

On the rare occasions that I'm playing a "PA provided" gig and I'm actually providing a stage plot to sound guys - I figure that most sounds guys will understand and ignore the references my PA components.

• Members

Mine includes references to PA (i.e., board, amp rack, FOH speakers, etc.) - because the vast majority of time, we provide our own PA - and I'm providing the stage plot picture to event planners (as opposed to sound guys). The event planner is in turn working with the venue (typically banquet facilities) to arrange for portable staging. In some instances, it's to "justify" the 12' x 16' chunk of real estate we consider to be our MINIMUM space requirement. It's one of those cases where a picture is worth a thousand words.

On the rare occasions that I'm playing a "PA provided" gig and I'm actually providing a stage plot to sound guys - I figure that most sounds guys will understand and ignore the references my PA components.

Cool! Thanks. I am looking at these from a providers point of view and never considered a stage plot for an event planner.

Archived