Here's something we've never had done... a private party selling tickets to fund us.

• Members

Last summer we played a surprise birthday party. The party was a blast and there was talk of a sequel this summer. Understandably the people throwing the party didn't want to incur the full cost of hiring us a 2nd year so they've actually thrown it out to their guests.

Tammy & Wendy's 40th Birthday Party with entertainment by Nuts In A Blender was such a huge hit last year, we decided to book them again this summer. However this time we will be collecting money to cover the cost of the band and expenses. In addition, if we have enough friends and family interested in attending, we will supply food & drink also. The fee for attending this by invitation only party is as follows: $35.00 per person or $70.00 per family of five with children 16 and under. This will once again be the party of the summer. You can enjoy this tremendous band in the company of people that you know and love. We will also have a lifeguard in attendance to watch over the kids with swimming until 9pm. For those who may want to stay over and not drive home bringing a tent is strongly encouraged. This party will take place rain or shine as the band will be under a tent with a second large tent set up for seating and eating purposes. Please send checks to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or give money to Mark & Tammy, Holly & Mike and/or Anthony & Wendy ASAP or before June 25th, 2012. If you have any questions regarding friends or family that you may want to bring, that may not be on our invitation list fell free to contact us. Final approval of all guests will be at our discretion.

I prefer this much more than the host asking the band to give them a break on price.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah yeah yeah we get it, NIAB is the greatest cover band in the history of the world, and is so great that people are literally throwing money at them for the unparalleled privilege of hearing them play and the ability to just bask in their mere presence.

Seriously man I really hate to come off like a jealous asshole ('ll openly admit that I gave up the whole band and gigging thing in my early 20's due to the primary fact that with the exception of one every single muso I ever met was the flakiest, childish, feminine, insecure, egotistical, non-confrntational, did I mention flaky? people I've ever met, however another reason was that I never even came close to being in a band that was ever even REMOTELY as successful as you guys are, maybe if I had things would;ve been different) but I've noticed that pretty much all of your posts are all just thinly veiled self congratulatory statements about how great you guys are and you want everyone to know it.

I think you can rest assured that everyone here on BSWTB knows how successful you guys are and very few have attained the success you have, and it just comes off to me that you just want to rub people's faces in it...

Again this is just my own personal opinion, honestly I'm glad you guys are so successful, but do you really need to post ad nauseum about it on a forum? If I were in your position the success itself would be enough

• Members

yeah yeah yeah we get it, NIAB is the greatest cover band in the history of the world, and is so great that people are literally throwing money at them for the unparalleled privilege of hearing them play and the ability to just bask in their mere presence.

Seriously man I really hate to come off like a jealous asshole ('ll openly admit that I gave up the whole band and gigging thing in my early 20's due to the primary fact that with the exception of one every single muso I ever met was the flakiest, childish, feminine, insecure, egotistical, non-confrntational, did I mention flaky? people I've ever met, however another reason was that I never even came close to being in a band that was ever even REMOTELY as successful as you guys are, maybe if I had things would;ve been different) but I've noticed that pretty much all of your posts are all just thinly veiled self congratulatory statements about how great you guys are and you want everyone to know it.

I think you can rest assured that everyone here on BSWTB knows how successful you guys are and very few have attained the success you have, and it just comes off to me that you just want to rub people's faces in it...

Again this is just my own personal opinion, honestly I'm glad you guys are so successful, but do you really need to post ad nauseum about it on a forum? If I were in your position the success itself would be enough

• Members

yeah yeah yeah we get it, NIAB is the....

Wow ... that was WAY harsh! I for one like reading Grant's posts about the stuff that NIAB have been able to do. I certainly don't interpret his posts as "rubbing our faces in it". His posts have provided "seed" for many of us looking to bring different approaches to our own projects. Seems to me that Grant has always been open to discuss all aspects of his band's approach - and has been pretty candid about what has worked and what hasn't worked for them. I have never interpretted his posts as being "self pats on the back" - but rather a sharing of what has been working for them. Compared to the recent post that in which somebody was venting that his band's lack of commercial success is because there's another band in town crushing the competition - I'll happily read scores of Grant's success stories.

Grant and NIAB didn't deserve that rant.

Just my .02.

• Members

Again... this is NOT a birthday party. The surprise birthday party was last August. This is just a summer picnic gathering in June.

Hence:

Tammy & Wendy's 40th Birthday Party with entertainment by Nuts In A Blender was such a huge hit
last year, we decided to book them again this summer.

I also wanted to mention that there's nothing Yuppified about the guests who have hired us. One guy works for the state and two others are small business owners in construction. They are regular blue collar and come from a pretty rural town and most of their guests are either family or close friends. The reason they want final approval of all guests is to keep the party smaller, more intimate and to avoid the 'Woodstock' effect. We played for a party two years ago which the host gave an open invite and more than 300 showed up. Not to see the band, but to drink free beer and eat free food. These people aren't concert promoters... they just want to cover their costs as hosts. How is that being yuppified?

• Members

I'm not sure there was an implied question or point for discussion, but I do think the issue of charging to attend a party can be perceived as tacky. I've seen some people get really offended, even when most others thought it was fine. Is there a line not to cross? A tip jar is safe, but won't get close to covering the fair compensation for any good band.

Or will it? Thoughts?

• Members

I think it's more of a "Let's all pitch in to have a good time" thing, as opposed to, "Let's have a party--your treat" thing. One of my band's first gigs was something like this (on an embarrassingly smaller scale) where the whole neighborhood pooled cash do a big Halloween event.

• Members

I think he's bringing it up here because it's an unusual situation of interest to the general population.

THIS.

I am going to say that grant's input as far as I am concerned has been nothing but helpful. Sometimes he will post one of those GREAT GIG!!!! Posts but so what? I do too! and for this one- I think its helpful too.

as far as tacky? nah- but if it was it wouldn't be Grants fault. The band listed the price. How the client pays for it is their business... Look someone has to pay the band and if its a bunch of people tossing down $35 a piece for a bash with food, drinks and NIAB why not?!?!

• Members

Yeah.. count me as one of the people who never sees Grant's posts as over the top bragging. This board is all about sharing successes, failures, and unique ways of doing things in the music business. This would seem to count as a pretty unique idea, as evidenced by the fact that most of us haven't done something like this before.

• Members

I'm not sure there was an implied question or point for discussion, but I do think the issue of charging to attend a party can be perceived as tacky. I've seen some people get really offended, even when most others thought it was fine. Is there a line not to cross? A tip jar is safe, but won't get close to covering the fair compensation for any good band.

Or will it? Thoughts?

I'm guessing this is a formal invitation to a party that's been informally discussed between neighbors and friends for awhile. In our neighborhood, we do a block party every year and charge to cover food, beer, jumpies, etc. We discussed hiring a DJ last year, and I could see us hiring a band eventually. One of the wives sends out a similar email, but everyone already knows about the party and that there's a cost involved. Could be something like that.

• Members

I prefer this much more than the host asking the band to give them a break on price.

I thought this post was quite relevant, especially with Stratguy22's post yesterday on the forum regarding a booking for a memorial ball tourney where the organizers are making rumblings about asking for a price cut.

Being asked to play again this year is an honour. Well done.

• Members

My next door neighbor always roasts a whole pig on the 4th of July. After the first year, he asked the neighbors to chip in, which we did. Turns out he always overcooks the pig and it's dry. This year I took a gig on the 4th. Screw the pig. Same thing if you ask me-hire a band for a big party and share the cost. Show up or don't.

As far as Grant's posts, it's refreshing to see a musician/band doing well. I feel my group has done well too, in a completely different way. OTOH, there are some musical goals I had that I fell short of. That still bugs me but I do enjoy reading about others who were more successful.

I'm pretty sure Grant would agree that his group could rise even higher and he would welcome the experience of anyone who could help make that happen. The thing that most impresses me about his group is their following. With all the posts about how hard it is to make any money without a following, I would think many of us are interested in how they developed such a loyal and large following.

• Members

We all can (and most do) post our wins and loses in here. If Grant posts more "wins" than he does "losses" it's because he and his band have worked their asses off to be in that position. I've read enough of his stories over the years to know that nobody has handed him anything. So even if he WERE gloating a bit (which I don't think he is), he's entitled to a bit of that, IMO.

I've used a lot of what he has posted as inspiration to do better with my band and have gotten a lot of good tips that have turned into more gigs and more money. The last thing I'd like to see this place become is nothing a bitch-fest for everytime somebody got screwed.

• Members

Or will it? Thoughts?

By some, I suppose. That's between the people throwing the party and their neighbors though. I'm guessing there was a bit of discussion beforehand: "Tammy, you HAVE to have that band back again!" "I know! But they are expensive, I just don't think I can afford it this year" "Well, maybe we can all chip in?"

They probably won't have quite the turnout they did last year as a result, but then maybe Tammy and Wendy don't really want people who aren't willing to chip in at their party anyway.....

• Members

By some, I suppose. That's between the people throwing the party and their neighbors though. I'm guessing there was a bit of discussion beforehand: "Tammy, you HAVE to have that band back again!" "I know! But they are expensive, I just don't think I can afford it this year" "Well, maybe we can all chip in?"

They probably won't have quite the turnout they did last year as a result, but then maybe Tammy and Wendy don't really want people who aren't willing to chip in at their party anyway.....

I agree it really isn't our problem, although there are different formats where we might be more or less involved. There's a big difference between a neighborhood party where someone volunteers to host it, and someone simply throwing a party for their friends.

For a band doing mostly older stuff especially, this format could work quite well . . . if we could figure out how to promote it.

• Members

Man! Musicians just hate other musicians no!? One band does well and haters start hating...so sad...

We play a block party every year and all the organizers sell tickets to the rest of the neighbors to pay us. They also heard us first in one of their private parties so I see nothing wrong with the OP's post, I actually understand it vey well.

Rod

• Members

For a band doing mostly older stuff especially, this format could work quite well . . . if we could figure out how to promote it.

It could, but it still comes down to the same basic laws of the market: you have to have a product people think is worth paying for. In this case, Tammy and Wendy must throw an AWESOME party and everyone in their neighborhood must know that. Having NIAB perform at it is probably only one (maybe the major element; maybe not) of the elements that make their annual party awesome. Getting people to shell out $35 per to go to somebody's backyard party isn't just going to happen. In this case, the party happened before without the cover. And people loved it so much they are willing to do it again and pay to go this time.

For what you seem to be talking about? I dunno. Maybe you or somebody in the band has a neighborhood that would be interested in throwing this sort of block-party? Play once or twice for tips or a small cover and see if it takes off? I can certainly see the potential there. Especially in upscale neighborhoods.

But birthday parties can be pretty lucrative. We've played several turning 40/turning 50 parties in people's living rooms and backyards for pretty good money. It's people of that age who have the cash and if they have the cash they have the space. Trust me---I'd much rather be playing for a bunch of 40/50 somethings next to somebody's pool at their beautiful home with steaks and lobster on the grille and fine wine being opened up by the case than trudging it out in some stanky bar any day of the week. This is where things like the website and Gigmasters have worked so well for us. Because that's where these sorts of people are going to find you.

We're playing a private birthday party in a couple of weeks. Some chick is turning 40 and her husband is throwing a big bash for her. Renting a convention hall and going full out. He'll probably spend more than most people spend on their kids' weddings. But some people have that kind of money to throw around. Good for them. Good for us that they do.

The gigs are there. You just have to market yourself properly and hunt them down.

• Members

The only reason I'm posting this here on this thread is cuz charging people to attend a birthday party is BEYOND tacky and is in unbelievably bad taste, I don't care what level of social circle it's in; having been invited to several, every single other person that got invited I talked to also mentioned how tacky and in bad taste it is and how disgusted they were by it

So... You and your friends are douche bags. You expect people to foot the bill for your fun. You probably hate BYOB parties too. How dare someone open up their house, provide food for you, clean before and after the party, arrange for the entertainment and then have the audacity to ask you to provide your own beverages. Get over yourself!

• Members

It could, but it still comes down to the same basic laws of the market: you have to have a product people think is worth paying for. In this case, Tammy and Wendy must throw an AWESOME party and everyone in their neighborhood must know that. Having NIAB perform at it is probably only one (maybe the major element; maybe not) of the elements that make their annual party awesome. Getting people to shell out $35 per to go to somebody's backyard party isn't just going to happen. In this case, the party happened before without the cover. And people loved it so much they are willing to do it again and pay to go this time.

For what you seem to be talking about? I dunno. Maybe you or somebody in the band has a neighborhood that would be interested in throwing this sort of block-party? Play once or twice for tips or a small cover and see if it takes off? I can certainly see the potential there. Especially in upscale neighborhoods.

But birthday parties can be pretty lucrative. We've played several turning 40/turning 50 parties in people's living rooms and backyards for pretty good money. It's people of that age who have the cash and if they have the cash they have the space. Trust me---I'd much rather be playing for a bunch of 40/50 somethings next to somebody's pool at their beautiful home with steaks and lobster on the grille and fine wine being opened up by the case than trudging it out in some stanky bar any day of the week. This is where things like the website and Gigmasters have worked so well for us. Because that's where these sorts of people are going to find you.

We're playing a private birthday party in a couple of weeks. Some chick is turning 40 and her husband is throwing a big bash for her. Renting a convention hall and going full out. He'll probably spend more than most people spend on their kids' weddings. But some people have that kind of money to throw around. Good for them. Good for us that they do.

The gigs are there. You just have to market yourself properly and hunt them down.

For the last 7 years we've average 100 gigs a year. Five years ago we totaled 85 bar/nightclub gigs and 15 privates. The last two years we're averaging 60 club gigs and 40 privates (14 are weddings). So this is certainly a planned progression. We didn't upcharge for this party and we rarely do unless distance or circumstances require it but I'd much prefer playing a great party than loading out of a noisy bar at 2am. We're in a terrific spot right now because nearly 99% of our privates come directly from people who have seen us play in the clubs. These aren't blind bookings. Often times the organizers are the only one's who have seen our show, which means we've now exposed ourselves to another 50-100 fresh faces, some of which may join us in the clubs. So both scenes feed into and support each other. I imagine 4-5 years from now we may be doing less gigs but already our focus is on getting more privates and weddings. I think we can survive pretty healthy playing a select number of A-list clubs and filling the schedule with private events.

• Members

I agree with this and see nothing wrong with the post. Maybe someone else will think "hey we should play at a block party, and see what happens"

I'm also with you on the over 40 thing. We've aged out of the bars, do private functions is where it's at. Often they involve a pig roast/turkey supper, drinks sometimes comp'd, sometimes not. It's a pretty good market to be in. All of us in the band have paid our dues. I'm 42, and the drummer in my band was actually in the first band I ever played in, at 14. We did weddings back then and the odd bar gig. I was allowed to play but had to be outside, or in the lobby between sets.

With the chip in, who knows. Maybe they provide food as well, so it helps to cover some of that as well!!

I say good on ya, everyone loves a fun gig. We are looking to snag a headlining gig at this one big rodeo that goes on. We opened it last year for a couple bigger name bands. When the smoke cleared, and all the money was counted, they didn't come out ahead as much as they thought. I'm guessing the headliner was $10,000 or so. So the are working on getting us, and another band, we are all buddies and part of the Old Guard. We will use my rig, and then each band will do 2 sets.

Them to open

Us

Them

Us to close.

So once it gets approved, I'll probably post about it, or after we play because it's going to be an awesome gig!!

:thu:

We played an Oktoberfest thing last year. Full rate. Sound provided (yeah, I had an issue but worked around it lol) it was cool and they charged for tix, but I have no clue how much. But it would have been like any kinda dance...

Archived