Memorial gig: asking for a deal.

• Members

We are set to play a memorial gig this sat. The organizer is asking for a deal. I don't know the memorial person from Adam.

I asked if:

Are the ball diamonds giving a deal?

Is the food provider giving a deal?

Is the venue giving them a deal?

Are they getting a deal on the booze?

Me, I say no. I might consider knocking off $200 if:

1: They pay cash

2: we get a full tab for food & booze

What say you?

• Members

No, it's not. I suppose I shouldn't have include the amount. But it was more to illustrate a $200 discount if the tab & cash deal. If the gig only paid $400, a $200 discount would be much more significant. The guy asked the keyboard players daughter about the discount, not whoever booked the gig. So our keyboard player is putting it out there. I'm thinking of saying "if anyone personally wants do discount from their share, that's fine with me, but I'm personally not interested."

Here's how our pay works. Our singer drives 3 hours to the gig. He had to move away for work. We don't gig a lot, maybe once or twice every other month or so, so we give him $100 towards his gas. I also get $100 off the top for providing the sound gear. Then we split the rest 5 ways.

I don't think he will get a deal at the gas pump, because it's a memorial.

Don get me wrong, we've done memorial gigs for free, when it's someone we've personally known, but again, we don't know this person at all...

• Members

I'm sort of at a loss here. From the OP's words, "it's just a gig." So either take the proposed pay or turn down the gig. I don't see a question here.

Would I personally consider a discount rate for a memorial? If I know the person or they're associated with the band, yes, I would. If it was someone random, I would recommend they find a band personally associated with the person for whom the memorial is being held.

But that's less about money and more about "why is my band playing somoene's memorial?"

• Members

I'm sort of at a loss here. From the OP's words, "it's just a gig." So either take the proposed pay or turn down the gig. I don't see a question here.

Would I personally consider a discount rate for a memorial? If I know the person or they're associated with the band, yes, I would. If it was someone random, I would recommend they find a band personally associated with the person for whom the memorial is being held.

But that's less about money and more about "why is my band playing somoene's memorial?"

Whoops again, my bad. It's not a full on memorial for someone who recently passed away.

It's a memorial ball tournament in the persons honor. He passed away last year. Sorry about that, I get what you are saying. Again, my bad for not describing the gig a bit better...

Didn't mean to come across so callous. It will be a lot of fun, but it just seems like everyone is out for a deal, next thing you get the "oh you played the so-and-so for X amount of dollars, that's what we want.

I could even maybe see going at our full rate, then donating $200 as a band to the cause at the end...

• Members

I could even maybe see going at our full rate, then donating $200 as a band to the cause at the end...

If your band is set on your rate (and I get that - it happens), I think doing something like this is a really nice gesture.

• Members

I didn't see how much you were charging so I don't know how much of a discount 200.00 is. Five way split........... plus 200.00 off the top. Who knows? Why do it for less than your usual fee? Up to you. Music is worth what the buyer will pay. I have a gig coming up for a duo that's a really good paying gig. Yesterday, a guy in the group offered me a july 4th gig at a friend's house for less than half of the other gig. I took it. No way a family party is going to pay what a corporate pays. It's the same amount of work for me. So why did I take the party? No other plans for the fourth, nice people, nice party, good time, I'll bring the wife. The corporate is just a gig. So many factors, but bottom line is how much to you want to play the gig?

• Members

"Sure, I can give you a deal - usually we charge $2500 - but we'll do your event for a smooth $2k."

What he said. If they know your rates already that could be a problem on the negotiations. Ask them to pay what you need for this and make everyone happy? or did they low ball the price?

• Members

What he said. If they know your rates already that could be a problem on the negotiations. Ask them to pay what you need for this and make everyone happy? or did they low ball the price?

I'm not even sure of the whole details, other than they were hoping for a deal. I ran into the one guy at karaoke an he mentioned it, but the number he mentioned was almost half, which would NOT fly, I might as well stay at home for that. So we will see how it plays out.

• Members

Personally, I understand why people want to ask for these things, but what bothers me is that everyone seems to think it's okay to try and dick the band (or other creative professionals) down on their rates, when no one really does that with a plumber, doctor, or other professional. In my job I deal with creative professionals, and yes, I beat them up on their rates occasionally but it's accepted practice within the profession when people are putting together "package deals" on a regular basis (I give you work, you give me work, I give you a negotiated rate, you call me for more jobs, etc...) but the clients themselves (usually large corporations) always want to try and negotiate down to less than living wages when you break something out hourly - and then they act incredulous when you offer them a "real-world" rate on something. It's annoying.

• Members

When a doctor doesn't cure me the first time I have NO issues asking for at least a reduced rate cause they didn't come through with what they were supposed to the first time. Just because they are doctors doesn't mean they are not fallible. As far as I'm concerned Dr's are one of the most dishonest business practices in existence. Ever notice how eager they are to do a follow up visit? Yup another 200.00 bucks for a 5 minute visit. Sorry just my .05 cents, in this economy everyone has a price.

• Members

When a doctor doesn't cure me the first time I have NO issues asking for at least a reduced rate cause they didn't come through with what they were supposed to the first time. Just because they are doctors doesn't mean they are not fallible. As far as I'm concerned Dr's are one of the most dishonest business practices in existence. Ever notice how eager they are to do a follow up visit? Yup another 200.00 bucks for a 5 minute visit. Sorry just my .05 cents, in this economy everyone has a price.

No offense, but while I hear your pain and some doctors milk the system, this is a somewhat ignorant view. Not saying you are ignorant, but this position is so overly simplistic. First off, there are MANY good reasons for follow-up visits after a medical procedure. Would you really want a stent put into one of your coronary arteries, for instance, and NOT have a follow up to make sure that the artery is still as patent as it was post-stent AND that the stent is still functioning properly? How would you like to have chemo or radiation and NOT have follow up visits once the cancer is gone to make sure you are still cancer free?

Statements like this:

As far as I'm concerned Dr's are one of the most dishonest business practices in existence.

are so absurdly and fundamentally flawed that it is almost impossible to even discuss the issue intelligently with you. Now if you say that SOME doctors are dishonest and run their practices dishonestly, or even if you said "all the doctors you have dealt with do," then I wouldn't argue the point because only you know whether you have been treated fairly or not. But to categorically and wide-sweepingly cast an entire professional business model into aspersion just reeks of ignorance.

• Members

Well some of us have EXTREME medical conditions and have been taken advantage of. Are there reasons for follow ups? Cancer, terminal, surgery, yes. Flu? cold? General medical procedure No. It's not ignorance I assure you, it's from being shafted one too many times and just saying no. Was my statement biased and without data to prove my theory? Absolutely, however I do have many experiences to back it up.

One time fell on ice at work, couldn't walk, get my ass in to the dr, go through the xrays blah blah, my sir your blood pressure is high, well yes ma'am it sure does hurt, oh well xrays show everything is ok have a good day just a sprain. End up driving home by myself, stop by the pharmacy, pain script not called in, damn it, go home, call dr's office 2 hours later, oh were sorry we forgot to fax it in, hour later get the meds by having someone get them.

Next morning laying with my leg literally black and blue looks like a big log, get a call about 11:30 AM oh sir we just called to say we reviewed your xray by an xray technician and you have a broken tibia, Please use the brace we gave you. thank you have a good day. when would you like a follow up visit sir? Please use the brace we gave you. WTF? really?

Ok ok so some dr's are dishonest not 100 %, just the ones I go to I guess.

• Members

Yeah I had the feeling you had some extreme conditions based on some of the posts I have read. I think you are disabled and in a wheel chair if I remember, right?

Ok ok so some dr's are dishonest not 100 %, just the ones I go to I guess.

That's all I was asking for. Honestly, I have seen you post a lot on this site and you strike me as a level headed guy who doesn't hold extreme views, which is why I posted what I did, to be honest.

By the way, what you described above sounds like a lot more than just shoddy business ethics. It sounds like malpractice and you should probably get yourself a lawyer, that is assuming you haven't passed the statute of limitations in your area for medical suits (which in NY, I believe it is 2 years from the offending incident). Yes, you have clearly dealt with dishonesty and incompetence and I am sorry for your unfortunate circumstances, I really am. Look, I am a Chiropractor, and believe me, I have seen MORE THAN A FEW rotten apples in my profession! Don't even get me started on dishonesty, false promises, cure-all claims, pre-paid "yearly" visit plans, scare tactics, and a ton of other disgusting, reprehensible business models, because I have seen it all! However, while I think that there are a ton of scummy doctors (whether medical or chiropractic) I also know that, by and large, most people I have encountered are hard working, honest professionals even though I get that your experiences may make you understandably jaded toward doctors.

• Members

Thank for the compliment! (level headed) appreciate it! I just think that a lot more things in life are negotiable that's all I was getting to. As far as the lawsuit, thought bout it, but it happened at work all medical expenses were covered so I left it that. I could go on about other medical issues but doesn't belong here. I will leave it be at that. Do appreciate the candidness!

• Members

regarding original post: Assume you want cash to hide from the tax man?

Free booze and food for I assume 5 or 6 people right? I would think it would be more expensive to feed and supply booze than the 200.00 bucks but just my opinion. I am in finance I can tell you one thing that is important: Always find the financial decision maker in regards to any financial negotiations. If you don't have a contract or anything in writing, not a good deal to enter into. They can always say there was not an agreement from the get go.

• Members

I do my share through my sound company business as income. Then I claim expenses against it. (anyone see my nice shiny new gear trailer? ;)) No biggie for me. Full price in cash would make it easier to donate some at the end. I'm thinking that might be the way to go. A $200 donation is $40 from each band member, so that's not too bad. And it looks better on us, handing a cash donation back to the event during the gig, rather than just playing for less money...

We have a practice tomorrow, so we will discuss it then.

I'm not a big drinker myself, I usually have a Coors light and a glass of diet coke per set, drinking from both during the set, and it's not like we are pounding them back between sets either. So say 5 drinks through the night, maybe 6, counting one at the end while we ear down, buying them at $5 each, $30 isn't a big deal. Comp'd would be cool, but either way works.

We did a number of curling Bonspeils, and we had to literally pay for the soda we drank. No problem, but believe me, NOTHING was kicked back towards them.

I know what you mean about contracts etc. that's looked after by whoever gets the gig.

Me, I hate schmoozing and getting gigs. I hate it. My role is playing and providing sound. I roll in, set everything up (with their help) and tear down after. I am just handed my cut at the end of the night, and it works for me. How they get it is someone else's job.

:thu:

• Members

Oh I know the customer service thing can be a bear to tolerate with some people. I look at it this way, sometimes it's just ok to be paid crap wages if your having fun, but if it's not fun then not worth the hassle and it does affect your reputation (pricing) if people talk about it to others (low pay). If I do any volunteer work (friends) I ask them to not discuss what I charged them with anyone, it's just good business.

• Members

The best gig I ever had was at the same location for one of the companies involved. (the tournament is between 2 companies)

We ended up playing until 4:30am, it was a total blast. At that one, since it was a company event, there was a pig roast/turkey. All the booze was in 3 baby swimming pools filled with ice, beer, & coolers. You just grabbed what you wanted, freebies. It was a great time.

I'm expecting this will be a great time and I'll pitch my idea of chipping in at the end. PR-wise I think it looks better on the band, handing over a band donation vs playing for less and no one being any the wiser...

Practice tonight, gig tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it.

:thu:

Here's our setup last spring, it was about 2 gigs before I upgrade to my StudioLive. I'll be switching to LED lights in July... This year there will be a centerfill speaker as well...

40d0e4b1.jpg

• Members

It was a great time! Like I said, it's my favorite venue. Perfect size stage, lots of power, its this weird inside/outside thing that works. Free food, (BBQ, burgers,ghost dogs, smokies etc)5 drink tix each (I used 4 & gave one away). Everybody had a great time. There's this one group of guys, everyone plays something, or sort of plays something. So we let them have a go at it for a half hour. They know their way around their instruments enough that letting then use my gear isn't an issue. We took requests, let some crowd members come up and sing along with said requests.

What I really like about our band is this. We've all been gigging 20+ years each, so we are all on the ball. If any of us know a song, we are all able to follow along. We sometimes have a couple guest singers as well. Our keyboard players husband comes up and they sing Jackson, Folsom and a couple more, then I have a couple friends who will get up to sing one or 2 songs as well.

I never mentioned the money, I figured whatever they work out is cool with me, and we did get our full rate, so that's good. Our keyboard player is dropping by the company to get a cheque today. We all take turns cashing them, so it all works out even.

Some pics:

89ab0c21.jpg

45f0ad03.jpg3c84ebcd.jpg

52bb96b2.jpg

Epic BBQ is epic!! they are actually getting a bigger one built, similar but it will have the ability to roast a pig as well.

:love:

34987ca6.jpg

Just after we finished, I get a txt from a friend that was there. RC is short for RC Flyers (remote control flyers) its a field where a local RC airplane club flies their planes at. It's also used for camping. That's what my friend was referring to. Turns out they could hear us, so a bunch of people camping there ended up turning up at the gig!

The thing is, we are loud, but not insane. It was a clear quiet night though, so the sound must just carry...

:D

97d76897.jpg

We were playing at the A, which is a rodeo grounds, 4 baseball diamonds, soccer fields etc. and RC is where the B is. The stage faces that way...

dbbd3916.jpg

Good times! Our next gig is in Aug, at the same venue, for a wedding, so it will be a blast!

Archived