Sharing video promos...

mstreck

• Members

I've been using Windows Live Movie Maker, and more recently Adobe After Effects, to do some promo video "shorts" - I think bassred called them "the future of gig flyers". I follow tutorials on the web and I've been learning a lot. The videos vary in creativity and level of "tech" depending on what trick/technique I'm trying to learn. Third-party templates can be had for (relatively) cheap, so I've been using some of those as well. Here they are if anyone's interested. http://www.facebook.com/pettinghendrix/videos

I'm still a newbie, but I'm hoping this summer will afford me more time to devote to creating them. It's pretty fun once you start getting into it and the fan feedback has been pretty positive. It's also pretty cool when someone goes out of their way to comment on a video at a show! :thu:

• Members

I've been considering doing some vids for an open mic I host, since it's so crowd interactive anyway. It'd give folks a chance to go to the website/fb page and see themselves and their friends out having fun and performing. But, that got me thinking about how much more time bands spend on projects like this to promote the band. Used to be I could whip out a decent flier in an hour or two. If I had a dozen or so to choose from then I could just insert the dates and locations after a while. Sure they got updated and new ones created occasionally. But with something like this it's a whole new ball of wax to learn to do. I suppose there's plenty of free software, but it's also another expense if you decide to buy software. Not to mention learning a new "skill" and the time invested in that and then the actual creation part. You need a camera to film with and someone to do the work of both filming and editing. Seems like the amout of time and money needed to just promote anymore is getting higher and higher. Jeez, I know I must sound like a lazy ol' cheapskate, but I really hate keeping up with technocracy sometimes! But I dig what you're doing and I'll probably follow suit sooner than later. :mad::lol:

• Members

It is kind of time intensive, but I try to just do a little at a time rather than spend a zillion hours in a row on it. Most of it is done ahead of time and sits there until I have a use for it. The latest one sat there for weeks just waiting for me to drop in the "news reporter" footage, which I recorded on Sunday afternoon, and was able to finish up the completed video Sunday night. I started the render when I went to bed and it was ready Monday morning.

The downside is that I have a lot of half-finished stuff laying around with no idea what I'm going to do with it. Yet. :D

Archived