Gigs during playoffs

FitchFY

• Members

Sports and gigs are weird. Just venting here, buuuuuut... :bor:

Friday night was game 3 of the NBA Playoffs between the Celtics and the Heat, and as I'm in Massachusetts, the bar I was playing at (which had probably a dozen hi-def large screen TVs, plus the projector) had a great crowd watching the game. So we set up, and the manager asks us to not start our show until he gives us the green light. We have a guarantee for this bar, so we set up. We were going to play from 9-1.

At the half, around 10:30, we asked if we could start playing and "keep it low." He said yes, we finished out the night strong, and only played for about 2.5 hours (not including breaks) and still made our guarantee. Okay, cool. :)

As I'm an optimist and a good business guy, I get it that this happens. We simply can't prepare for playoffs when booking 8-12 months in advance like we do, and hey, the crowd was mainly there for the game at that point -- what happens happens.

For some musicians and fans, though it just gets... boring. :D

/vent

• Members

During football season, EVERY Saturday night is like that. You don't start playing until the LSU game is over. Worst part is that how good the night goes is directly related to whether LSU wins or not. They win, good night, they lose crappy night and generally a couple bar fights.

• Members

I'd rather not play than play in a place where people are watching sports on TV. I probably would have asked for half my pay to go home.

around here, EVERY bar has to some degree redefined itself as a sports bar/club. Even the corner bars have TV's everywhere now. It's just the evolution of bars... around here.

• Members

I think having the Celtics win made our night much better. The second the game play stopped, we launched right into "Song #2" by Blur (synonomous with the Patriots winning here) and the crowd started right in with us.

But we had to wake back up! :)

• Members

During football season, EVERY Saturday night is like that. You don't start playing until the LSU game is over. Worst part is that how good the night goes is directly related to whether LSU wins or not. They win, good night, they lose crappy night and generally a couple bar fights.

Oh yeah, I'm sure some regions have a WAY MORE intense scene around this topic than where I am!

• Members

around here, EVERY bar has to some degree redefined itself as a sports bar/club. Even the corner bars have TV's everywhere now. It's just the evolution of bars... around here.

That's different from having TVs tuned to a significant sporting event and a band playing at the same time. If there are TVs around the stage when it's time to start, we have the bar turn them off but in general, I try to avoid playing sports bars just for that reason. If people are there to watch sports, the band is just an annoyance.

• Members

Pretty much the same around here. Funny thing is, the two that don't do this and still host live music are the ones with the biggest crowds. Not sure if that's just coincidence or not though. But I got a feeling it has a lot to do with the actual bar being the destination, not their TV sets and not even the band.

• Members

Pretty much the same around here. Funny thing is, the two that don't do this and still host live music are the ones with the biggest crowds. Not sure if that's just coincidence or not though. But I got a feeling it has a lot to do with the actual bar being the destination, not their TV sets and not even the band.

I think the 'why' sports bars are not doing well with music is partly for the reason you point out that people who are there to watch sports are not interested (and often annoyed) in live music; and also that I think there's just too damn many "sports" bars and it was a niche for a very short time among the 21-30 crowd, who are now mostly aged out of it. It just seems that most of them popped up after it was already on the decline. Even the sports bars that don't have bands around here are all struggling, and I don't think it's just the recession, although that probably has had it's share of impact as well.

• Members

I think the 'why' sports bars are not doing well with music is partly for the reason you point out that people who are there to watch sports are not interested (and often annoyed) in live music; and also that I think there's just too damn many "sports" bars and it was a niche for a very short time among the 21-30 crowd, who are now mostly aged out of it. It just seems that most of them popped up after it was already on the decline. Even the sports bars that don't have bands around here are all struggling, and I don't think it's just the recession, although that probably has had it's share of impact as well.

I think when affordable flat panel large screens showed up, it became really easy for a lot more bars to get a bunch of them. Just about every bar now, sports bar or not, is set up for watching sports.

• Members

I think when affordable flat panel large screens showed up, it became really easy for a lot more bars to get a bunch of them. Just about every bar now, sports bar or not, is set up for watching sports.

Yep. A "sports bar" used to be a big deal. A bar had to have some sort of big-screen projection device and/or access to telecasts that were often closed-circuit. Now anybody with a couple of flatscreens and basic cable can run a "sports bar".

• Members

This is a common occurrence here in my town for the live entertainment to have to "wait until the game is over". Especially during hockey or NFL football playoffs. The people there to see the game are spending money and that's all the bar owner cares about. Once the game is over those people will leave and then usually at these types of establishments the solo or duo performer is just backround noise for the remaining few customers. I try not to play those types of places anymore.

• Members

One note is that honestly, it doesn't really bother me. Generally, you end up playing for 3 instead of 4 hours and the crowd is already well lubricated, so the first set kicks off like it's already halfway through the second set.

• Members

I'd rather not play than play in a place where people are watching sports on TV. I probably would have asked for half my pay to go home.

Every bar here is all about sports. As far as asking for half your pay and leaving? LOL that would never happen.

• Members

This is a common occurrence here in my town for the live entertainment to have to "wait until the game is over". Especially during hockey or NFL football playoffs. The people there to see the game are spending money and that's all the bar owner cares about. Once the game is over those people will leave and then usually at these types of establishments the solo or duo performer is just backround noise for the remaining few customers. I try not to play those types of places anymore.

That's about 1/3 of my bars that I play regularly. The only difference is I will never be just background noise and I make sure I start the second the game ends. It's my job to keep them there and buy more drinks.

• Members

Bloody hell, I wish they had a "you only go on after the game" policy in the UK. Back when I was gigging, the gigs went ahead on time, regardless of what was on TV. My memory is hazy, but I think we asked a few promoters "hey, can't we wait till afterwards? They'll all be out there watching the game" and the response was always "no, don't worry, you'll have a crowd". Did we {censored}.

• Members

I don't mind, as long as there is a screen pointed in my direction onstage!
:)

LOL.. you and I are pretty similar in a lot of areas.. I always make jokes about getting busted watching games while playing. I'll usually yell "score" in the middle of a tune and then pretend to apologize like I'm supposed to be working.

• Members

In Canada it's hockey playoffs and I'm sure that's the same in many states too. No Canadian teams in the Stanley Cup playoffs (the finals)this year but many years they are and it can go into June. You wait, you watch and your wait somemore. And then it's OT.

Not to hijack the thread but when I was a tour manager for national act a few years ago and we were booked in the front four (Mon-Thurs) as part of a 4-5 week run we'd sometimes find ourselves in a very large bar (usually in Ontario) from 500 to 1000 capacity and lots and lots of TV's. The Tech Rider stipulated no TV's during the show but I quickly learned that most bar keeps "can't find" the remotes to shut off the TV's. Enter TV Be Gone. Worked every time.

http://http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php

• Members

Bloody hell, I wish they had a "you only go on after the game" policy in the UK. Back when I was gigging, the gigs went ahead on time, regardless of what was on TV. My memory is hazy, but I think we asked a few promoters "hey, can't we wait till afterwards? They'll all be out there watching the game" and the response was always "no, don't worry, you'll have a crowd". Did we {censored}.

Man, you nailed Muse on your site! GREAT work.

Archived