The Boys aree on a roll... TDJ Opening for Creed next month

• Members

Congrats, but..."Western North Carolina's own..."???

Do you really think it adds value to be that particular about where the band is from?

Is there a reason the band wouldn't want to be associated with Eastern North Carolina at all?

• Members

Do you really think it adds value to be that particular about where the band is from?

Is there a reason the band wouldn't want to be associated with
Eastern
North Carolina at all?

North Carolina is a VERY long state from east to west. Extremely doubtful that anyone from Wilmington will head up to Cherokee for Creed. That is why most major shows are in the TriadTriangle area closer to the middle of the state. OP was most likely trying to sway as many people from the west as possible. Makes sense if you live here.:thu:

• Members

I've travelled across NC.

And I've also seen a map.

It only makes sense if one didn't think 'with special pre-show and afterparty guests' was already enough extraneous text on the flyer, IMO.

Someone who knows who the band is...knows who the band is; the extra verbage is just that...'extra'.

Someone who doesn't know who the band is...isn't going to be swayed to travel to see them by that flyer.

Personally, I'd eliminate all that text and replace it with something far more useful.

Like the band website URL.

• Moderators

Is there a reason the band wouldn't want to be associated with
Eastern
North Carolina at all?

Boy, picking apart the crucial topics huh? :)

• Members

Funny this is mentioned today. I was just doing a commercial for www.tournepa.com and I was thinking about what NEPA means to someone out of the area its part of the Poconos yes but a more specific part... In Pennsylvania the area we usually gig in (and live in) is know as NEPA as in Northeast Pennsylvania. some people even call it Nee-Pah or N-E-P-A. The biggest TV station in the area's call letters are WNEP LOL so I get the western NC thing.

There are a bunch of NEPA websites too, tour NEPA is just in my head right now.

So a ton of bands in my area have used NEPA's own XXXXX or NEPA's best So-and-so Cover Band or something like that. I believe There & Back Again uses something similar on our website.

BTW good luck with the gig!

• Members

I've travelled across NC.

And I've also seen a map.

It only makes sense if one didn't think
'with special pre-show and afterparty guests'
was already enough extraneous text on the flyer, IMO.

Someone who knows who the band is...knows who the band is; the extra verbage is just that...'extra'.

Someone who doesn't know who the band is...isn't going to be swayed to travel to see them by that flyer.

Personally, I'd eliminate all that text and replace it with something far more useful.

Like the band website URL.

Would you personally do it AFTER they were all printed? Seriously, why pick it apart? You sound like you are either jealous of the OP or an asshat. If you don't have anything nice or truly constructive to say why not just make a mental note and move on? Your attitude is exactly why I don't post often here - it isn't worth it.

• Members

How to effectively communicate and promote one's band isn't crucial?

The poster is to promote the show. On somthing like that a website address is tacky. How hard is it to do a web search on your own if you want to check out an opening act.

• Members

Would you personally do it AFTER they were all printed? Seriously, why pick it apart? You sound like you are either jealous of the OP or an asshat. If you don't have anything nice or truly constructive to say why not just make a mental note and move on? Your attitude is exactly why I don't post often here - it isn't worth it.

Well...since it's not the conversation...

Believe me, I'm not jealous of anybody opening for anybody (And escpecially Creed) or getting a great gig. Been there, done that more than enough for myself to be thankful.

Now I fully and proudly claim the mantle of asshole (not asshat), but the REASON I pointed it out is because this is a forum about BANDS and the topic of conversation frequently revolves around what one can do to improve one's situation in a gigging band, and this is a prime example of poor communication/marketing choices, period.

For you to say that's not constructive, especially when I offered a suggestion for an improvement, is a crock of sh&t, or simply a case of you not understanding fully what 'constructive criticism' actually means.

As to the 'if you don't have anything nice to say' nonsense...

1) I said "Congrats'. That's nice enough. And I said it.

2) I don't come here to blow smoke up stranger's asses and pat them on the back excessivley for a job well done. They should rely on girlfriends, wives, friends & family for that. I come here to have conversations about being in a band. Sometimes that involves pointing out a mistake, flaw, shortcoming or spot for improvement. if you can't handle the conversation occasionaly NOT being all sugar and spice & everything nice, I suggest you grow a pair and find another forum.

I'll leave this one alone after pointing out that:

I said something nice as a conversation starter.

I followed up with a legit question/piece of constructive criticism.

I then followed up with a suggestion for improvement.

If THAT'S inappropriate for this board/forum, someone please explain to me HOW exactly.

• Members

The poster is to promote the show. On somthing like that a website address is tacky. How hard is it to do a web search on your own if you want to check out an opening act.

1) A band's website on a promo poster is tacky? Explain that one to me. Wait, never mi9nd. Don't.

The venue's website is on the poster. The ticketmaster site is on the poster. You know whose website ISN'T on the poster? The entity involved that people in general know the LEAST about already.

2) Let me answer your question for you since I already did the work:

(In order)

MySpace page for throwdownjones

FaceBook page - Official-Throwdown-Jones

Reverbnation page for throwdownjones

YouTube link to something called Throwdown Jones covering Faithfully by Journey

2012 tourdates for Throwdown Jones at Eventful.com

You know what I DIDN'T find (and have no way of knowing if I had)?

Whichever site the band WANTS me to go to.

I also have no way of knowing if THIS is the right "Throwdown Jones". For all you or I know, there are 50 artists with the same name.

Point is, why leave it to someone else to figure out? Why make them do ANY work? It needs to be served up to the consumer, ready to use, plain as day. Period.

• Members

1) A band's website on a
promo
poster is tacky? Explain that one to me. Wait, never mi9nd. Don't.

The venue's website is on the poster. The ticketmaster site is on the poster. You know whose website ISN'T on the poster? The entity involved that people in general know the LEAST about already.

2) Let me answer your question for you since I already did the work:

(In order)

MySpace page for throwdownjones

FaceBook page - Official-Throwdown-Jones

Reverbnation page for throwdownjones

YouTube link to something called Throwdown Jones covering Faithfully by Journey

2012 tourdates for Throwdown Jones at Eventful.com

You know what I
DIDN'T
find (and have no way of knowing if I had)?

Whichever site the band WANTS me to go to.

I also have no way of knowing if THIS is the right "Throwdown Jones". For all you or I know, there are 50 artists with the same name.

Point is, why leave it to someone else to figure out? Why make them do ANY work? It needs to be served up to the consumer, ready to use, plain as day. Period.

I hate clutter, and with two websites on this poster is enough. It also gives me the impression that the band is a total unknown. Its tacky to try to piggy back your website on the backs of people who are actually paying for the poster.

Over promotion is as big a mistake as under promotion. My marketing mind says ,, everyone knows creed,,, and even if they dont know the opening act,,, pimpin your website makes the band look smaller rather than bigger and worthy of the opening act slot. Its like trying to hawk your CDs every set at a show. Class acts do it at the end of the show and tell the crowd that they can find out about up comming shows on the website. You want to market with a subtle nudge , not a twenty pound hammer

• Members

Over promotion is as big a mistake as under promotion. My marketing mind says ,, everyone knows creed,,, and even if they dont know the opening act,,, pimpin your website makes the band look smaller rather than bigger and worthy of the opening act slot. Its like trying to hawk your CDs every set at a show. Class acts do it at the end of the show and tell the crowd that they can find out about up comming shows on the website. You want to market with a subtle nudge , not a twenty pound hammer

It's getting a bit off-topic but yes....bands that hawk themselves and their website and their CDs every 10 minutes start to sound desperate. A couple of brief mentions is usually enough.

Back to the OP---who gives a hoot what anyone (especially other musicians) think of Creed as long as a ton of people show up for the gig? Nice score getting that opening slot!

Archived