"Double-Dipping": I have a chance to do it but I really don't want to....HELP ME!

• Members

Double Dipping is what we call having two gigs the same day, or renting your gear and playing the same day, i.e. double pay.

Band #1 has an afternoon festival gig about an hour and a half away. It should be a good, fun gig. We play early so we should be home early.

Band #2 has an opportunity to play a late night bar gig that night. It would be good for Band #2 to play a bar gig, since the only things we have played so far is wineries and country clubs, but it's a pretty sleazy bar that has a bad reputation (I actually saw someone get stabbed on the dance floor when I was playing there years ago).

I guess my over-riding concern should be to do what is best for Band #2 but I'm uneasy about playing this bar!

Help Me!

• Members

Our band has played double headers and I have also done it with two different bands the same evening/night. I have also done a band gig and a DJ gig the same day, and also done a DJ gig using a guy who subs for me while I was in another county doing a band gig. So for me that's all good and common practice.

What concerns me is if your gut says don't play a place then sometimes it's best to trust your gut. A local drummer was stabbed to death here last year trying to break up a fight.

• Members

Are you asking whether you should do two gigs in the same day? Or just whether you should play in a sleazy bar? It doesn't sound like you're really asking about the first question, even though that's the title of the thread.

What does the rest of Band #2 feel about you playing the bar? Or the earlier gig with another band? I've doubled-dipped with bands before. It can be fun and challenging, but don't expect to get any sympathy from Band #2 when you tell them you're tired during load out.

• Members

Thanks! I have double dipped in the past with no problems, it's just this situation, and it being a rough place. Another possible problem is that I'm not sure Band #2 is the right band for this particular bar anyway.

• Members

If you are getting a bad feeling about this place, maybe you should skip Gig #2.

The only time I had two gigs in one day, it was a friggin' nightmare. We played a Friday at a bar in town, tore down the PA system in the daytime on Saturday, set it up for an outdoor show, then tore it down again and brought it back to the same bar to play that night as well. :facepalm:

I'll never do that again. If I ever play two gigs in one day again, I will make sure that one of them already has equipment set up first.

• Members

I would also say skip gig nunber 2...My band also played the sleaziest of clubs in our town where we ALSO saw someone get stabbed. Now we decided to play again because who knows, it could get better right? wrong... It was worse. The bartender literally told us we were too loud even though the club owner booked a music event, she threatened to call the cops but that got sorted out. Of course that was not the only problem, the above dance floor was having a suds party. If you don't know what that is, it is where creepy men and underage/barely legal girls go into a dance party that is being filled soap foam. This leads to suds coming out of the floor and almost all over our equipment. This club is now shut down, good riddance to bad rubbish. I would say band #1 is going to have a great time, if you really get stressed by your other boys then do what you see fit. Good luck and have fun with the 1st!

• Members

Did that very thing a couple of weeks ago. Played a big bike rally with Leah, and turned around and did a night gig w/ 12MN.

Was supposed to do the same thing this weekend, making the trek from Nashville to Kelso, TN, on Saturday. The Saturday CMA Fest time got swapped, and threw my logistics out-of-whack. I had to make my decision based on finances (not playing Saturday w/ Leah would have meant not playing her Friday and Sunday gigs, either.) It was a tough call, as it is also a pretty big gig for 12MN. A booking agency put the show together, and we would love to work for him. Worse because I am a sideman with Leah, and a co-founder with 12MN.

So, using that to answer your question; Don't if you don't want (or have) to. Luckily, none of mine reek of danger like yours evidently does, even though ANY gig has the potential to get dangerous.

Things to consider (for me) include: safety, distance, financial reward, (order may vary, depending on the status of my checking account!)

jamieb

+++++

• Members

I try not to play shady bars. If is was a great gig at a great place I would do it- but if it's a creepy place where I witnessed someone get all stabby... yeah I'd skip it... and NEVER play there.

• Members

Your gut is saying "don't play that bar," so don't, regardless of exposure for the band. Remember that a bad gig for a young band can often cause them to lose steam, desire, and make the newbies go "maybe gigging isn't for me."

Set yourself up for success - I'd say don't take that second gig.

• Members

We double dip on a regular basis. We are in rotation for a market day gig. 11am to 2pm. then play the bar that night. we have done three shows in one day. festival in the after noon ,, a gig at louies , then hustled down the street to play the home dig for late set.

this weekend we fly out tomorrow at 6am, do a show in kansas city area fri , and sat night , fly home , play a country club gig on sunday night.

this is gonna be one crazy weekend.

• Members

If you are getting a bad feeling about this place, maybe you should skip Gig #2.

The only time I had two gigs in one day, it was a friggin' nightmare. We played a Friday at a bar in town, tore down the PA system in the daytime on Saturday, set it up for an outdoor show, then tore it down again and brought it back to the same bar to play that night as well.
:facepalm:

I'll never do that again. If I ever play two gigs in one day again, I will make sure that one of them already has equipment set up first.

St. Patricks day we played a 3:30 to 6:30, tore down, then drove 80 expressway miles to set up for a 9 pm to 1 am.

• Members

Yeah I do doubles all the time- those are the good days. This week actually kicks it off about 8 of them this summer. I'm just curious why people find them difficult. Don't flame me here but many of the folks I know that play in rock band do three 45 minute sets right? That's cake...a lot of the solo guys will bang out three hours straight and pack it up and do it again later in the day.

• Members

I've done as many as 4 gigs in 3 days across 2 bands before. But I was much younger and dumber then, and would never attempt that level of foolishness...I suppose if someone provided gear and all I had to do was walk in and out, it would be different, because the load-in and load-out are the hardest part of the day for me.

As far as 2 gigs in one day....if timing & logistics allowed for it, and there's was virtually no chance of it causing problems with either gig, I'd consider it on each gigs own merits, but like many others in this thread, it sounds like the bigger problem you didn;t really ask about is the second venue.

If your gut says stay away, then follow your gut.

• Members

It's a whole different deal when your playing for a living-then two gigs in a day is wonderful. the last time i did it, it was a mid day wedding reception with a trio, then that night a club as a duo. the wedding gig was awesome-turned out to be more like a concert, with everyone into it. Then we had a few hours of down time, and an hour drive to a club. First time we ever played the club. The club was empty. we had to play three sets to the bartender and a few others. then the owner asked for a discount. That was a big "Sorry, but no" Never went back to the club. live and learn.

Yeah I do doubles all the time- those are the good days. This week actually kicks it off about 8 of them this summer. I'm just curious why people find them difficult. Don't flame me here but many of the folks I know that play in rock band do three 45 minute sets right? That's cake...a lot of the solo guys will bang out three hours straight and pack it up and do it again later in the day.

• Members

Don't flame me here but many of the folks I know that play in rock band do three 45 minute sets right? That's cake...a lot of the solo guys will bang out three hours straight and pack it up and do it again later in the day.

I've seen the pictures of the rig you have for your shows.

THAT'S cake.

Try lugging a full PA, full light show, amps, drum kit, etc. from venue to venue.

PLAYING, be it for 30 minutes or three hours straight, is the easy part on either side of the equation. Schelpping the gear to and from, setting it up and tearing down is what puts hair on your chest.

• Members

Rarely do 45 min sets. Usually 75-90 min. But often we do only one or two.

Oops sorry.. maybe that's just this part of the country... These bands do it all the time. 45 minutes on and 30 off or somewhere in that neighborhood. When I use to play in full bands it drove me nuts.

• Members

I've seen the pictures of the rig you have for your shows.

THAT'S
cake. Try lugging a full PA, full light show, amps, drum kit, etc. from venue to venue. PLAYING, be it for 30 minutes or three hours straight, is the easy part on either side of the equation. Schelpping the gear to and from, setting it up and tearing down is what puts hair on your chest.

Agreed...but we could probably go back and forth for days. ;) Ya know...try singing and playing literally for 160 out of 180 minutes and see how that goes. People don't realize- just try talking continuously for that length of time and see what goes on. THEN pack up your gear and do it again. There's a tired that goes past physical labor. That's also worth a lot of money to me. :)

• Members

Gig #1 is a two hour festival set from 2-4 in the afternoon, probably straight through without a break. Gig #2 is 10 p.m. - 2 a.m. Probably 3 - 1 hour sets or 4 -45 minute sets. PA provided for the Gig #1, but NOT backline. We have to take everything for Gig #2. Also, two different bands, two different instruments (for me), two different states. Gig #1 about 1.5 hours North of home, Gig #2 about 30 minutes South.....:facepalm:

• Members

I'm a little confused. I'm assuming you are in two bands and both have booked gigs with the assumption that you will be a part of both gigs. Is this correct? If so, then I would feel obligated to do both gigs. If I found myself not liking the gig location of the second gig, that would call into question the booking practice of the second band. Do they clear the gigs in advance or have you given the band leader parameters (pay, schedule, distance, geography, etc) that would allow the band leader to make a decision without your prior consent? If you did clear the gig...then it's a no-brainer obligation. If the band leader took liberties in booking the gig, then I would want to talk with the Band Leader and get on the same page. I'd still feel compelled to do the gig if this wasn't a common coinsurance.

Archived