Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts







  • Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman
    View Post

    . The sonic contribution that subs make to the sound is just gravy!




    I agree about subs, they rule, and to use his quote it's gravy, but you need the mashed taters before you can add the gravy. Mashed taters = practice and rehersal. I use 4 subs. My apologies on my post if I came off wrong. I still think this band (based on the videos) should focus on their performancevocals and "the one band one sound principle" before adding subs at this time. By all means if you have the money and time add the subs it's fine, but I'd be more focused on rehersal at this time in their career after looking at this from the outside.

    Comment


    • no doubt! I need subs too!









      Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
      View Post

      Subs have been known to tighten up a band, inspire confidence in harmony singing and instill a sense of natural stage presence. I'd get subs.




      Comment








      • Quote Originally Posted by MartinC
        View Post

        no doubt! I need subs too!




        I need to double up on my subs. I need to suck WAY less than I do.



        Hey guys, I totally agree that adding subs, using subs in any room does not necessarily constitute overkill. I've spec'ed out nice music playback setups for both of my wife's hair salons and they both included subs. If used in balance, it is an integral part of a complete system. Of course. However...



        ...in smaller rooms with smaller crowds soaking up things, it is still entirely possible to achieve that balance without subs. From the kick off stage and the bass amp. There are plenty of guys playing gigs of that size. So the point is, subs may not be as MANDATORY as some of you believe. For those small gigs. And looking at those videos, the venues appeared pretty small.



        Would subs work? Of course. Could they easily be misused and abused and make their sound worse for that venue. Very LIKELY!!!
        __________
        Ain't no sacrilege to call Elvis king
        Dad is great and all but he never could sing -
        Jesus

        Comment








        • Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
          View Post

          I need to double up on my subs. I need to suck WAY less than I do.




          You're point has been made. But nobody has ever suggested it's an either-or proposition. The band could spend time rehearsing and getting tighter AND still buy subs and help improve their out-front sound!








          ...in smaller rooms with smaller crowds soaking up things, it is still entirely possible to achieve that balance without subs. From the kick off stage and the bass amp. There are plenty of guys playing gigs of that size.So the point is, subs may not be as MANDATORY as some of you believe. For those small gigs. And looking at those videos, the venues appeared pretty small.



          I think it's largely genre-dependent. For rock and dance music, I personally just don't believe the sound you get just from the kick off stage is sufficient. For more easy-listening type stuff. Sure, it's probably fine in a small room.








          Would subs work? Of course. Could they easily be misused and abused and make their sound worse for that venue. Very LIKELY!!!



          Every piece of equipment must be used properly, of course.
          Donald Trump: "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea."

          RobRoy: "There is an "honest grit" to his lying."

          Comment








          • Quote Originally Posted by nchangin
            View Post

            I agree about subs, they rule, and to use his quote it's gravy, but you need the mashed taters before you can add the gravy. Mashed taters = practice and rehersal. I use 4 subs.




            My comments about subs were a response to SeniorBlues comments/questions about room size and "cutoff [for sub use], expressed in square feet". Like many who've posted that equipment is not a substitute for delivering a quality musical performance - I'm certainly not suggesting that subs are going to solve that problem.



            My point was simply that when facing a choice of using a "small sub/speaker pole/main" combination versus "mains on tripod stands" - I'll virtually always go the "small sub/speaker pole/main" route for the reasons I outlined (smaller/safer footprint, setup consistency, etc.) ... and that yes, in those scenarios, the sonic contribution that subs make is just gravy.
            The SpaceNorman

            www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
            www.souldoutrocks.com

            Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
            Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
            Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

            Comment


            • We'll be playing in a venue this Sunday that runs their own sound, which I am sure will have subs. . . a first for this band - or at least the current lineup. I hope to get some audio and/or video and more importantly, their impression of the sound quality.



              I don't suppose it matters that all the soul music we'll be playing during our short set was written before subs were in common use . . . . .

              Comment








              • Quote Originally Posted by guido61
                View Post

                You're point has been made.




                Well... that's never stopped you before!!!
                __________
                Ain't no sacrilege to call Elvis king
                Dad is great and all but he never could sing -
                Jesus

                Comment








                • Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues
                  View Post

                  I don't suppose it matters that all the soul music we'll be playing during our short set was written before subs were in common use . . . . .




                  I wouldn't see why age-of-the-material would make any difference. My band might decide to play "The Charleston" or "Yellow Rose of Texas", but I wouldn't want to do it through a megaphone....
                  Donald Trump: "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea."

                  RobRoy: "There is an "honest grit" to his lying."

                  Comment








                  • Quote Originally Posted by guido61
                    View Post

                    I wouldn't see why age-of-the-material would make any difference. My band might decide to play "The Charleston" or "Yellow Rose of Texas", but I wouldn't want to do it through a megaphone....




                    I listened to "sandman" the other day - for the first time. OF COURSE you needs subs for that stuff! I asked about room specs and got some good answers, but I think it really is genre specific more than room size.

                    Comment








                    • Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues
                      View Post

                      I listened to "sandman" the other day - for the first time. OF COURSE you needs subs for that stuff! I asked about room specs and got some good answers, but I think it really is genre specific more than room size.




                      Well so when my country/classic rock band plays some Hank Williams or Johnny Cash songs we should turn the subs off on those songs?

                      Comment








                      • Quote Originally Posted by modulusman
                        View Post

                        Well so when my country/classic rock band plays some Hank Williams or Johnny Cash songs we should turn the subs off on those songs?




                        Well if you need it for a lot of your material, then you should have it, but if there isn't much difference in an A - B comparison for most of your songs, then some guys may decide it's not worth the investment and/or lugging them around.

                        Comment








                        • Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues
                          View Post

                          Well if you need it for a lot of your material, then you should have it, but if there isn't much difference in an A - B comparison for most of your songs, then some guys may decide it's not worth the investment and/or lugging them around.




                          There is no comparison if you are using subs you will sound better unless you are playing in a band with no drums,bass or keyboard. If for no other reason than because your top speakers will not have to reproduce the lower frequencies.

                          Comment








                          • Quote Originally Posted by modulusman
                            View Post

                            There is no comparison if you are using subs you will sound better unless you are playing in a band with no drums,bass or keyboard. If for no other reason than because your top speakers will not have to reproduce the lower frequencies.




                            But they're designed to do that. My new keyboard amplification set up is a direct line into an EV bi-amped 15"/horn active speaker.

                            Comment








                            • Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues
                              View Post

                              Well if you need it for a lot of your material, then you should have it, but if there isn't much difference in an A - B comparison for most of your songs, then some guys may decide it's not worth the investment and/or lugging them around.




                              I'd hesistate to base it on the material you play. Should be more based on the instrumentation. If you've got bass guitar and kick drum and want them to be heard at anything much above talking level, they'll sound better with some decent subs. And it will take a load off the rest of the speakers as well.
                              Donald Trump: "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea."

                              RobRoy: "There is an "honest grit" to his lying."

                              Comment








                              • Quote Originally Posted by guido61
                                View Post

                                I'd hesistate to base it on the material you play. Should be more based on the instrumentation. If you've got bass guitar and kick drum and want them to be heard at anything much above talking level, they'll sound better with some decent subs. And it will take a load off the rest of the speakers as well.




                                Talking level?! Please. Are you really too young to remember when kick ass bands used PAs for vocals only? A lot of them still do.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X