Anybody doing "Please Don't Stop The Music"?

• Members

We were looking for a new song to anchor a dance medley at rehearsal yesterday and this one came up so we started messing around with it.  Sounded great---the new singer nails Rihanna, and both girls sounded great on it together--and while I'm thinking this one should work well, I'm wondering if it being a few years old has put it "off the radar" (although it seems I still hear it on the radio quite a bit.)

Also, does anyone do the obvious thing and do more of "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" besides just the bit already in the Rihanna tune?

• Members

Old Fart Rocker wrote:

We really don't do any medleys or mashups,

I really like doing do medleys when dealing with the modern pop stuff.   It's so easy to find a bunch of them that have a similar beat/tempo and most start to get kinda boring after a chorus-verse-chorus anyway.   We get much better response out of doing 5-6 of these songs in 8-10 minutes than we do with only playing 2. 

• Members

guido61 wrote:

And yes, it'd be just as easy to put together a 50s rock or Motown or 80s rock medley.

Speaking of Mercury, we have a "sort of" 50s rock medley that gets a BIG reaction every time we play it. its not all 50s rock but it all has that "feel" we call it-

"The Crazy Little Medley"

• Crazy Little Thing called love
  • Run around Sue
  • Only the good die young
  • Wake Me Up (before you go-go)
  • Build me up buttercup
  • Shout

:)

• Members

sweatpat wrote:

Originality can be overrated. Currently working on an obvious superfreak/can't touch this medley that I am pretty sure is can't miss!

did you play in my last band? LOL we did this for years. It worked very well with our crowd! Actually we did a Brick house-superfreak-cant touch this-superfreak medley

• Members

sweatpat wrote:

Originality can be overrated. Currently working on an obvious superfreak/can't touch this medley that I am pretty sure is can't miss!

When in doubt, keep things simple.

One thing I always try to keep in everyone's mind when we're working out these medleys and mashups is the need to make sure the audience is going to go along for the ride.  Especially with my band, which isn't playing for repeat audiences much that can "learn" our arrangements.  A good medley or mashup is like telling a story, and if the audience loses track of where you are with it, you've lost them.    It's tempting sometimes to get too clever with the arrangements and if the audience doesn't know what the hell you just did, then what's the point?

Archived