Help With Song Suggestions

• Members

So, we are basically a Dad band in our 50's. Doing okay with bookings. After the gig on Saturday night, the bar manager gives us a $50 tip even though we didn't cover the door. He then explains that after about midnight, of "our" crowd thins dramatically. He asks us to include newer material to appeal to 25-30 age group remaining in the bar. I think he is dead on in his assessment. We have a great relationship with this place and want to honor his request. Problem is we are clueless (no excuses). What works for you? Would you make some suggestions? We'd like danceable material to get them moving after all of our ancient songs but don't want to look like we are trying to be 20 again.

Our set list is basically in line with our age. Figure from Great Balls of Fire to Superstition to Pump it Up and stop there for the timeline.

Instrumentation, Male Vocalist, Guitar, Bass, Keyboard ( Piano/Organ only) doubles on Guitar, Sax, Drums.

Harmonies are a struggle.

• Members

Our last set is heavy with 80s rock tunes that still have a lot of appeal to younger crowds.  Most of our current material is in the earlier sets.

Sweet Child of Mine, Walking on Sunshine, Juke Box Hero, I Love Rock n Roll, Pour Some Sugar On Me, Don't Stop Believin' all work really well with the younger crowd in the last set.

• Members

Believe it or not, a few times a month I come across comments on youtube or elsewhere of the younger generation admitting the music they are fed nowadays is crap. They so wish they were born in the 80's. I think if you could concentrate on the best of the 80's (and maybe a couple songs currently on the charts) you would be good. The closer-to-pop new country or the simplest of current pop songs should qualify.

• Members

Seven

Over the Hill wrote:

So, we are basically a Dad band in our 50's. Doing okay with bookings. After the gig on Saturday night, the bar manager gives us a $50 tip even though we didn't cover the door. He then explains that after about midnight, of "our" crowd thins dramatically. He asks us to include newer material to appeal to 25-30 age group remaining in the bar. I think he is dead on in his assessment. We have a great relationship with this place and want to honor his request. Problem is we are clueless (no excuses). What works for you? Would you make some suggestions? We'd like danceable material to get them moving after all of our ancient songs but don't want to look like we are trying to be 20 again.

Our set list is basically in line with our age. Figure from Great Balls of Fire to Superstition to Pump it Up and stop there for the timeline.

Instrumentation, Male Vocalist, Guitar, Bass, Keyboard ( Piano/Organ only) doubles on Guitar, Sax, Drums.

Harmonies are a struggle.

A few of these date back to the late 90's but most of these are from the past decade: White Stripes/Jack White/Raconteurs (SevenNation Army, Icky Thump, I'm Shakin, Steady as She Goes)  , Black Keys  (Lonely Boy, Gold on the Ceiling, Tighten up) Kings of Leon (Sex is on Fire, Use Somebody), RHCP (Californication, Give it away, Suck My Kiss),Green Day(American Idiot, Holiday,Basket Case, Longview), Weezer (Hash Pipe, Beverly Hills, Buddy Holly, Say it Aint So).

• Members

You might need to add a younger front-person or two. SoulPlay seems to have a great appeal with younger crowds and we play a lot of stuff from the 50's through the 70's. And only a couple of more current tunes. Having a few young faces can make your band seem much more hip.

• Members

How about some 90s rock? we do a bunch that goes over well with our crowd of twenty somethings.

Two Princes

Laid

Small things

Song 2

Hey Jealousy

Runaround

The Way

One Week

New Aged Girl

Welcom to paradise

Every Morning

500 miles