Crappy Bandmates: Life's too short!

• Members

The thread about Covers and Integrity made me remember my previous band in which I tried to get them to learn current top 40 and good older dance songs and they wanted to learn Rush and Yes.  Compared to that band, and the tension I always felt, and the sense of relief when the band ended, the current three bands that I'm in are a breath of fresh air.  In all three bands everyone gets along, there is little ego, no alpha male woofing, no BS.  I was talked at a break at rehearsal the other night with the drummer about another local musician who is really really good but all drama and we were talking about this subject and he agrees with me that Life is too short to play in bands with crappy bandmates, no matter how good they are.

• Members

A few years back when my band was still just sluffing through the local bars playing for little money and I was starting to get frustrated with it, I started to look for side projects to see what else was out there.   I started working with a really, really good guitarist and singer.  Both these guys were such amazing players that I'm thinking "why are these guys just sitting around not really doing anything with their talents?  Why aren't they in like the most awesome band around?   Hey, maybe I'm the guy to help put together this most-awesome band for them!"

Well, working with them for a couple of weeks and I figured out why.  Both guys were just completely in their own heads about what sort of material to do and what sort of band to be.   THIS song sucked.  THAT band was cheezy.  They were both "too good" to want to do anything that might actually lead to the type of success they thought their talents deserved.

One day at a band meeting the singer is pitching all these obscure Judas Priest songs he wants to sing.  I realized at that point just how good I had it with my sluffy bar band and just got up and walked out.   Yeah, maybe we weren't all the best players in the world but we all got along really well and were on the same page about what we could and should be doing.   

• Members

Last two bands I have been in have been with musicians who are great musicians and also nice guys.  It certainly makes the time spent together more fun.  Neither of them gig as much as I'd like to though.... but there are always tradeoffs and my sanity is not something I'm willing to sacrifice.

• Members

New Trail wrote:

The thread about Covers and Integrity made me remember my previous band in which I tried to get them to learn current top 40 and good older dance songs and they wanted to learn Rush and Yes.  Compared to that band, and the tension I always felt, and the sense of relief when the band ended, the current three bands that I'm in are a breath of fresh air.  In all three bands everyone gets along, there is little ego, no alpha male woofing, no BS.  I was talked at a break at rehearsal the other night with the drummer about another local musician who is really really good but all drama and we were talking about this subject and he agrees with me that Life is too short to play in bands with crappy bandmates, no matter how good they are.

nothing wrong with wanting to have a prog-rock band. There are a few in the TC that do really well.  I hope you don't consider them "crappy" simply for that reason. Sounds more like you just aren't a good fit for each other otherwise.

• Members

tlbonehead wrote:

New Trail wrote:

nothing wrong with wanting to have a prog-rock band. There are a few in the TC that do really well.  I hope you don't consider them "crappy" simply for that reason. Sounds more like you just aren't a good fit for each other otherwise.

Well, that's right.  They probably consider me that crappy bandmate for wanting to play commercial music to get more gigs.  The truth is that all members of a band need to be on the same page about, really, a lot of things, with song selection and direction of the band being a very important one.

Archived