Mildly OT: OK - It's official, I'm old

• Members

Interesting list. Clearly that's the top 20 80s song NOW but not at the time. I think if you found the list of the top 20 best selling singles of the decade, it would be very different. That reads like a typical classic rock band set list. I think we've all help create that list!

• Members

guido61 wrote:

Interesting list. Clearly that's the top 20 80s song NOW but not at the time. I think if you found the list of the top 20 best selling singles of the decade, it would be very different. That reads like a typical classic rock band set list. I think we've all help create that list!

Very likely true.  It's a lot easier to make a list 20 years later than it is in the moment.  

• Members

Guido's list is about the same, quality-wise, as the 00s list to me. A couple of killer, timeless tunes, some fun sugar-rush stuff, and a good bit of fluff. I seem to remember feeling the same way about lists from the 60s and 70s--there's a Herman's Hermits for every Beatles and a Tony Orlando for every Zep. In the next decade or two , there'll be a Forrest Gump/Big Chill/Dazed and Confused type movie to tell us what we remember about the 00s, and it will seem like a golden age through the lens of artificial nostalgia. I predict "Crazy", "Poker Face" (or the perfect "Bad Romance", which should be on the list) and "Hey Ya" make the cut from that list.

• Moderators

It's funny to read that someone thinks Nirvana's Nevermind stinks. I was never particularly a Nirvana fan by any stretch and even I know that that is a pivotal rock album.

Hearing Teen Spirit for the first time absolutely blew me away. It's the kind of album where you don't necessarily have to love the music to appreciate the beauty and power of its artistry.

When Leonard Bernstein cited the Beatles as serious musicians, the serious musical community was shocked. But I never took this to mean that Leo was sitting around with phones on smoking dope and listening to sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band.

Only that he could recognize the greatness. Nevermind has that same kind of impact on musical genres that you would never imagine respecting or liking that type of music.

As a non-fan I still can't dismiss Kurt Cobain as being lucky. He was an artist and that album is a great album.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

It's funny to read that someone thinks Nirvana's Nevermind stinks. I was never particularly a Nirvana fan by any stretch and even I know that that is a pivotal rock album.

IDK, stinks might be the wrong word.  But so too is pivotal IMO.  To me it's a lot like the movie Caddie Shack.  People who saw it when it came out think it's histerical.  I've tried to have lots of 20-somethings watch it and they miss the whole movie.  It's one of those "you had to be there" movies.  

Nevermind is the same thing to me.  Teen Spirit is a transcendant song, but the rest of the album is very average IMO.  I think because we were comparing it to Ugly Kid Joe and the rest of the drival that was coming out at the end of the 80's it seemed so much better than it actually was.  In retrospect, I find 10 by Pearl Jam to be an infinitely better album.  YMMV

Archived