No announcement yet.

Banter and crowd involvement

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banter and crowd involvement

how much is enough and how much is too much ?

G.B.#275

OK We'll close down the business,have the manager shot,and give you back all your money.will that make you happy?

The Hot Rod Owner's Club

It depends on the crowd, and how good you are at engaging them between songs.
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

You want to see enough. I can't believe there is a Youtbube video of this but this happened downstate NY near Albany. We were playing a ski resort and drunk kids started pitching these glow sticks. I was really mad and almost went after someone that night in March of 2010. I remember it vividly. This happened but then I got hit and the horn players also. Check this out. It was too much and no security did anything about it. I found this video a short time after we did the gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXFHOzvi7xs
      "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

I can only reply from an audience perspective since praise bands don't tend to much patter, at least ours doesn't. First, keep it short. You're a musician, not a stand up comic. They're not there to listen to you tell jokes. Second, keep it relevant or at least interesting. If there's a funny, or at least interesting, short story about how you wrote one of your originals or the first time you played a specific cover that's coming up, tell it, not what you had for breakfast. Third, keep it appropriate. A couple of years ago my wife and I went with another couple to hear the Melvin Turnage Band (R&B, Motown) and at one point the gal fronting the band told a long story about getting laid in the car right before a gig. Frankly, I did not need to hear that.
        Last edited by DeepEnd; 10-01-2018, 04:03 PM.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

It depends on the audience.

In our weekly marina gig, there is a lot of banter with the crowd, same for the monthly gig we play at a RV resort.

On other gigs, we hardly say a word.

The object is to figure out what your function is on that particular gig, what today's audience wants, and do your best to deliver.

Insights and incites by Notes
          Bob "Notes" Norton
          Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
          Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
          The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Working...
          X