Language difficulties and impossible people

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Language difficulties and impossible people

Hi Guys,

I play in a band where there is no common language that everybody understand.
    I proposed that I will setup a home studio, using only hardware that we all already own.

I invested several months reading all the user manuals, getting info (which mics, headphone amps, audio interfaces, mixers).
    Then I came up with a plan how to connect it all to be able to record 20 tracks to a PC in parallel.
    Then I started recording trial takes with other band members and it all went just fine.

Now comes the singer and says, I know nothing about all this technical stuff.
    Therefore I appoint a friend of mine who tells me he's an expert sound engineer, and he will manage you and everybody else on my behalf.

I've set up a WhatsApp group and since June I'm writing there what are we planning, how we will connect the equipment etc.
    To date, the guy hasn't written a single word, even though he's reading it all.
    Also when I address him in person, he is silent and consistently keeps ignoring me.

Recently the singer told me "the guy said we are all set up and ready to go".
    No information is available what is going on and what the guy is planning.

Most likely, by the little info I've got, he's planning to use a mixer to put all instruments into one stereo mix and that's it- like in a rehearsal room.
    Man, am I frustrated or what?

Every attempt to communicate is a failure.
    THIS: I explain what's the difference between taking 20 instruments and committing them to a rough mix versus having 20 separate tracks that you can mix later on.
    It all falls on deaf ears.
    No one has enough language skills to understand that one sentence (where I wrote THIS).
    I think it adds insult to injury when the singer says "why do you have to be so bitter about this? Just shut up and play when you're told to".

My next step is to explain all this to a guy who can talk to all these guys in their mother tongue.
    It that doesn't help, I guess I will leave the band.

Last edited by OnKeyboards; 08-18-2018, 06:43 AM.
    Let me hear you
    Make decisions
    Without your television
    Let me hear you speaking
    Just for me
    --dm

That is certainly a difficult situation.
    Try using an online facility like google translate [there are better ones, but typically one language specific].
    With all the work you have done, why not just record the tracks the way you want, and forget about this guy the singer wants, and get things done? You said you had done sample tracks with the rest of the band...forget what the singer wants. Singers should never run a band anyway, IMHO, unless they are either well trained, multi-instrumentalists or phenomonally naturally gifted and serious.
    Your singer sounds like a real jerk, too.
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Thanks Daddymack,
      I will try to somehow get this situation under control.
      The singer is a mystery to me. Still not sure if a jerk or just stupid.
      Let me hear you
      Make decisions
      Without your television
      Let me hear you speaking
      Just for me
      --dm

Comment

• daddymack
        daddymack commented
        Editing a comment
        either one would be enough for me to clock out...in your case, produce everything except the vocal, and then let him sing it. Period.

Also, who is financing the recordings? If it is the singer, then I would just let him have his way with it so he has no one to blame but himself if it turns out less than he hoped.
        Last edited by daddymack; 08-25-2018, 09:05 PM.

People have to invest in something if they want to get something out of it, it's that simple really.
      "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

• daddymack
        daddymack commented
        Editing a comment
        you don't deal with Millennials very much I take it...?

Without band fails, there would be no general population.
      Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

I do have one millennial. She is OK but sometimes a little inconsistent. I think they need to work with older musicians to figure out the game.
        "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

"Just shut up and play when you're told to", in any language, is reason enough for an abrupt departure from that situation. That your efforts are not only unappreciated, but not even acknowledged, is just salt in the wound.
          One more time kids; equalizers are not cross overs, vocal mics are not cymbal mics and pan knobs are not three position switches. As you were.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to update that I'm handling this as delicately as possible.
            We had a meeting to discuss the recording project's work procedure. The sound engineer wasn't there ("busy").

I thought it was a great opportunity not to discuss too many technical details.
            Instead, we talked about the musical project:
            Are we happy with the arrangements, or do we rehearse and prepare new arrangements?
            If there will be any brass parts, who will write the arrangements?
            Are we going to record one instrument at a time over a click track, or all simultaneously?

It looks like we anyhow prefer to record one track at a time into a DAW, so the whole issue with the engineer- we can now totally avoid it.

However, we decided that we will rehearse together.

It looks as if, by avoiding a live multi-track scenario, we were able to totally avoid the confrontation and shift the focus onto the music.

p.s. trevcda , I agree with you, but you know- people say all sorts of things when in different moods.
            For me, it was really hard to contain the situation with all its negative energy, but I'm kinda proud that it worked for now.
            Let me hear you
            Make decisions
            Without your television
            Let me hear you speaking
            Just for me
            --dm

Comment

Working...
            X