No announcement yet.

One-off sub gigs

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outkaster View Post
    That's crazy. I don't put up with that stuff. Life's too short to play with guys that want to wing everything. You can be a hobby band and still sound professional.
    You lost me . . . I've cast my lot with guys that have musical training. I've seen way too many hobby bands that are "well rehearsed", but their rhythms, changes, signatures lines and lead vocals are boring or flat out wrong. That's the best they can do and it isn't going to change.

Reading charts isn't "winging it" . . . or maybe I've misunderstood you.

Comment

No not charts necessarily. I mean guys that go up there doing things just enough to get by. That get's old real quick. There is an in-between. You can read charts, be a hobby band and rehearsed and still sound professional. It's just that a lot of people are lazy and then can't figure out why they can't get ahead. If you want to do something or be something better just do it better than others around you. It's pretty simple.
      "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

Originally posted by Outkaster View Post
        No not charts necessarily. I mean guys that go up there doing things just enough to get by. That get's old real quick. There is an in-between. You can read charts, be a hobby band and rehearsed and still sound professional. It's just that a lot of people are lazy and then can't figure out why they can't get ahead. If you want to do something or be something better just do it better than others around you. It's pretty simple.
        Short story..... a start up a couple of years ago. Band leader / guitar player gives us a list of fourteen songs for the first session and was astounded when I brought in fourteen printed charts I'd put together. Bass player knew one song and had no clue about most of the others. I went to one more session, then quit.

I wish it was easier to assess the work ethic of musicians you're considering bringing to your project or joining. . . .

Comment

Yeah sometimes you don't know or they have something that is wrong with them character-wise. It's tough.
          "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

I do a lot of sub gigs - sometimes with no rehearsal. The key for me is to 'play with my ears' and fit in.

A couple of weeks ago, along with a bass player I had previously jammed with, I filled in at a bar gig. It was actually quite exciting to play songs we didn't know because we really had to listen carefully to everything in order to be able to find a pocket to put it in.
            I am the Awareness in which all of this takes place.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

I’m ok with subbing. Just give me the set list, the key we are playing in and let me know of any serious deviations from the standard version and I’m usually ready to go.

Send me recordings if you have them. I don’t want to rehearse with you guys.

If it is the type of material that requires much more effort than that? The pay better be really good.
              In this particular case, a band booked a gig, but then split. The drummer who booked the gig had a relationship with the club and didn't want to bail, so he put together this group. We all put all the songs we knew into email and settled on 40some songs. We did three rehearsals, which was a good thing.. there was a lot of arrangements and versioning to work out, we mashed up a lot of songs as well.

We dropped a few songs that didn't come together so well, added others...

In the end, we killed it at the gig. The club even gave us a bonus. It was a good experience and I had fun. I'm not in this for the money anymore, so I could give a crap about that as much as having fun and playing music.
              Last edited by Kramerguy; 04-09-2019, 11:05 AM.
              Fender American Strat
              Fender Twin Reverb '68 reissue
              Blackstar Stage-100 Head, 2x12 Blackstar Cab
              Pedalboard:
              (2) Friedman 10-channel independent power supply units
              EQD Dual Hoof Reaper, Xotic BB Preamp, MXR Badass, EQD Data Corrupter, POG2, EQD Bit Commander, EQD Sea Machine, EQD Grand Orbiter, SD Vapor Trail, MXR Carbon Copy, Boss DD-6, EQD Afterneath, Digitech Supernatural Reverb, Strymon Mobius, Crybaby Wah, Metal Zone, Xotic SL Drive, TC Hypergravity, Ibanez CS-9, Flex Drive,

Comment

Originally posted by Kramerguy View Post

In this particular case, a band booked a gig, but then split. The drummer who booked the gig had a relationship with the club and didn't want to bail, so he put together this group. We all put all the songs we knew into email and settled on 40some songs. We did three rehearsals, which was a good thing.. there was a lot of arrangements and versioning to work out, we mashed up a lot of songs as well.

In the end, we killed it at the gig. The club even gave us a bonus. It was a good experience and I had fun. I'm not in this for the money anymore, so I could give a crap about that as much as having fun and playing music.
                I have done this type of 'pick-up' gig before, and sometimes it works great [if all involved are competent and diligent], sometimes without even a rehearsal, or just one. Fortunately around here there are enough competent and diligent musicians...
                "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by Kramerguy View Post

I hear ya.

But for me it isn't so much about being in it for the money as not wanting to waste my time.

I like pickup gigs and I don't mind rehearsing if it's called for. What I DON'T like are the guys who call and say they've booked some gig 8 weeks and from now that will pay 40 bucks and a couple of free drinks a man and want to get together a few times to rehearse a set list that is mostly Brown Eyed Girl and Sweet Home Alabama type stuff because they want to make sure they are 'tight'.

That's where it loses the fun aspect for me. Let's just play it out and have some fun. Otherwise, make it worth my time.

Comment

Working...
                  X