relationship with other members of the band

• Members

hows your relationship with other members of your band? in my band, my older brother plays drums. i play guitars and bass. i feel like he doesn't put out his best. it always sounds like he's compromising the music. but that's ok with me. but it bothers me that he won't play his best. it's always something else. i think some of my albums would sound better if he did his best.

• Members

Finding a band where everyone is competent and everyone gets along is a rare commodity. I have been in umpteen bands and probably only three of them met that criteria. Lucky enough for me, the one I'm in is such a band- great players and we all not only get along, but genuinely like each other and like to hang out.

• Members

Brother not into it obviously. So what else is new? Regardless, there's nothing a drummer can do if the tunes don't cut it or simply don't inspire him. Also I personally would reject singers (especially) or players that expect the drummer to be their awesome ride. That isn't what drummers are for.

• Moderators

Well, you call yourselves a band, but you don't play out and it is just the two of you. Did you ever consider that maybe your brother would rather play something else with other people? 1001gear hit it: if he isn't inspired he won't put out his best.

The other piece of the puzzle: you call them 'my albums', not 'our albums'...so his input is simply secondary? Perhaps he senses that you do not regard his part of the process as highly as your own and plays accordingly?

Maybe it is time you guys got out into the 'real' music world separately and find out the truth about your skill level, your writing and your performing...and your interpersonal skills as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

^^^^ This jumped out at me. Are the albums not both of yours if you both played on them?

EDIT: daddymack already caught that.

​yes they are all mine. the drummer just provided the beat. but he could have made it better by smoothening the rough edges like the overall feel of the drums and the dynamics. because I think he tries to hold back and not sound his best unless I say exactly what I want to be done.

• Moderators

​yes they are all mine. the drummer just provided the beat. but he could have made it better by smoothening the rough edges like the overall feel of the drums and the dynamics. because I think he tries to hold back and not sound his best unless I say exactly what I want to be done.

Then I suggest you lay it out to him exactly what you want if you do not trust his instincts. If it is your composition and you are producing the session, you are responsible for the end product. If it isn't what you wanted due to your lack of communication, that is totally on you.

Funny 'communication story':

Years ago, I did a session for a guy. He gets on the intercom, saying 'no,no,no...that guitar part needs more 'urgency'. ..'

After the third time. I put my guitar down and walked into the control room. "Please, explain to me WTF you mean by 'urgency'...?"

He stared at me...'y'know, like you need to take a leak...real bad, but there is no place to do that'.

I looked at the engineer, he looked at me, we both shook our heads. I walked back into the studio, played the part pretty close to the first take, an he says' YEAH!, That was it!!'

Communication...I still do not have clue what he really thought a guitar solo by a guy who needed to take a leak would sound like, but apparently, I nailed it.

Archived