Back in the Saddle (or nearly)

• Members

Well I had a little audition on April 2nd and I guess I got the job. I will be the 6th member of an 80s dance/party band.Male lead vocals and filling keys parts that the keys/sax player needs help on.

Now rebuilding my keys rig - it will be completely iPad based! I am checking them out this Saturday and possibly singing a couple with them. First full show May 27th!

Now to start getting my singing and playing chops back in shape/order. So I guess to make this a somewhat productive post. Anyone have tips for getting the singing voice back in shape quickly? I have taken several years off and things are a bit rough/rusty.

• Members
Well I had a little audition on April 2nd and I guess I got the job. I will be the 6th member of an 80s dance/party band.Male lead vocals and filling keys parts that the keys/sax player needs help on.

Now rebuilding my keys rig - it will be completely iPad based! I am checking them out this Saturday and possibly singing a couple with them. First full show May 27th!

Now to start getting my singing and playing chops back in shape/order. So I guess to make this a somewhat productive post. Anyone have tips for getting the singing voice back in shape quickly? I have taken several years off and things are a bit rough/rusty.

Singing loudly in the car (When driving alone and away from stoplights preferably) works best for me.

Congrats on the gig!

• Members
Thanks sir. I am very excite to be in a band with both a female singer AND a dude who plays sax.

And thanks for the tips, thats about what I was figuring on as a default - guess I better get that setlist onto my iphone LOL

I'm not an actual singer (although I've always done a lot of backups and at least a few lead songs a night with pretty much every band I've ever been in) so I don't have any real "pro" tips.

But for me, "getting the voice back in shape" has always meant being able to hit the notes I need to hit throughout a full gig without the throat getting hoarse or tired. And the only way for me to that is to sing as loud and push as hard as I'm going to need to on stage. Short of full band rehearsals, the car has always been the only place I can get my ya yas out.

For me, it's just a 'strengthening the throat muscles' thing. Which is probably the completely wrong way to sing.

• Members
Heck, being in a two-keyboards band is pretty damn awesome, too. You should get one of those new metallic red SV-1s.

Those are pretty sweet, but I am pretty much committed to the iPad setup: being front and center the compactness of a keytar and the iPad on the mic stand is a big plus for me.

• Members

Congrats. As a guy who has sang everything from Zeppelin and AC/DC to Journey and Foreigner full voice into his 50's, you want to avoid singing full on in the car. There couldn't be a more wrong way to practice because your posture and breathing are going to be in a position nothing like what you'll be doing on stage, even seated. Check out some vocal coach information online. You'll want to work on proper breathing and voice control. Also, don't push, if you can't hear yourself, you're just shouting. Get your monitor mix right for you. Here's a start. Judy Rodman podcast.

Archived