Worst Wedding Music Ever!

ski219

• Members

So we went to a friend's son's wedding on Long Island Saturday night. Very nice affair affair, black tie, Strings and piano playing standard stuff for processional all fine. The reception had a sort of DJ band. On stage was a DJ, a drummer, a percussionist, bassist, sax and fiddle. No singer. DJ played tracks all night, other instruments kind of played along, but honestly when the bass player stopped playing you could not tell, ditto for the sax. Players looked bored as heck. And the music the DJ played was a nonstop mix of what sounded like Israeli house music...maybe Turkish or something I don't know. I only know it was annoying and if there were actual songs I could not make them out... more just noise and chants to beats. Maybe I'm just getting old?

When he did play an actual song like MJ's Gotta Be Starting Something it was not MJ but some dance mix cover. People seemed to enjoy it for a while and then stopped dancing. He got quiet at dinner then started playing some old standards which immediately got just about everyone back on the floor. Then he gravitated back to the house music stuff after a half hour and cleared the dance floor of all but a few younger guests.

The fiddle player eventually took some nice solos near the end of the night, but for the most part there was just no reason I could see for the live players. Never seen anything like it and I hope to never see anything like it ever again!

• Moderators

Probably the groom's bros....

reminds me of my daughter's wedding in Vegas...music skewed to the 60% of the room that don't dance...I finally asked the DJ if he had any James Brown...he said he'd find something...as I turned away, I hear D_D_D_ D D_D_D D! uh GET Up-uh ah GIT ON UP...the 'old people' we're already on their feet and heading to the dance floor...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ha ha! A little off topic, but the young woman who used to watch our kids when they were little went through a nasty divorce, eventually met another guy and got remarried. My wife went to her wedding, and during the ceremony, they placed a boom box on the podium and played "Every Rose Has its Thorns" and then started MAKING OUT halfway through the song while the officiant stood there looking really uncomfortable. The entire wedding party was chewing gum, and after it was over, the guests went into the reception hall and just started cutting into the wedding cake while the bride and groom were getting their pictures taken. My wife, a very proper Canadian, was horrified.

• Moderators

Appalling! Shocking...actually, I've been to several 'undignified' weddings over the last decade, one where I wasn't even sure who the bride and groom were, until they started opening the presents...and she put them in a 'keep' and 'return' pile [tres charmant!]

• Members
Ha ha! A little off topic' date=' but the young woman who used to watch our kids when they were little went through a nasty divorce, eventually met another guy and got remarried. My wife went to her wedding, and during the ceremony, they placed a boom box on the podium and played "Every Rose Has its Thorns" and then started MAKING OUT halfway through the song while the officiant stood there looking really uncomfortable. The entire wedding party was chewing gum, and after it was over, the guests went into the reception hall and just started cutting into the wedding cake while the bride and groom were getting their pictures taken. My wife, a very proper Canadian, was horrified. [/quote']

Why do so many Americans seemingly take such pride in celebrating our worst cultural stereotypes?

I think we've officially jumped the shark.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I was asked by a friend some years ago to play for her wedding. It was a Catholic high mass sort of affair. Very formal in an old historic church. She told me what song she wanted me to play so I asked two other folks to play with me for a violin part and harmonies. I was pretty sure she made the wrong choice, but as they stood at the alter just before starting the vows, we did it. The song was "Dust in the Wind." Anybody see anything odd about that besides me? It was an omen though. Marriage lasted about year....

Archived