Should I just so no to this gig? Part II

etcetra

• Members

So I was asked to do a gig for New years. and the singer I asked ended up no being able to do it. The person who contacted me told me they found another singer, and it's the same band leader I had issues with a while ago from this thread.

"http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/LivePerformanceCategory/acapella-54/31738072-should-i-just-say-no-to-this-gig"

I replied immediately and told them they should find a different keyboard player, because I don't feel comfortable doing latin stuff with just piano and vocalist. The person insisted it will be an easy gig and it's going to be ok. I asked for setlist and half of them are easy pop songs and latin songs. But there is about 1/2 of the song that are latin pop songs I've never played before. I told the singer that I would need charts on some of the songs, to which he replied "I don't see complicated stuff there, really". This really rubbed me off the wrong way.

To give you an idea of what kind of songs were are dealing with, here are couple of songs his list.

It's one thing to play Oye Como Va or Sway that are cyclical and can be read and played off lead sheet, but it's another thing to learn songs like these. They are not difficult, but transcribing them and making sure you got the form, repeats..etc right is time consuming. Either he doesn't understand the legwork it requires to prepare those songs or he thinks this is supposed to be easy and shouldn't even be a concern in the first place. He finally told me the regular pianist for the band have charts but only after I kept on insisting I need charts for those songs.

I don't know about you guys, but if I ask someone to do a job and we are doing non-standard material, it's up to me as the band leader to make sure they have charts for the gig, especially if it's a gig with no rehearsal. Most singers ask me first if I need to learn non-standard material. They are usually courteous and actually helpful about finding sheet music because they know I am putting extra effort than I usually would on a gig like these.

I don't know if I am over-reacting. If he told me he doesn't have music and asked me nicely if I can learn those tunes, I'd been totally ok with it. But he brushed aside my concern by basically implying that this stuff is so easy that I should be able to do it on my own. There was no discussion about meeting me half way, doing songs I know or changing the song list to make it easier on my part. He is taking it for granted I learn his songs because that's my job and that attitude really rubbed me off the wrong way.

• Members
Can't you just put this guy on your "never no way no how" list? I NEVER accept a gig without stipulating that it's pending approval of who I'm playing with...

Well technically I didn't accept the gig. I told them I am available for the gig and never committed to actually doing it. After the singer change they try to talk me into doing the gig with the vocalist, even though I insisted they find someone else, but I never actually told them I'll do the gig.

It came as complete surprise to find out this guy was singing for the gig. It was supposed to be a gig doing jazz standards, which I have no problem with. After the first singer couldn't do it, I was expecting another jazz singer or the gig to get cancelled. Just to be clear, there is absolutely no real reason to be learning new songs other than the fact that it's what the vocalist wants to do. It's background music at a restaurant and I was just supposed to jazz standards for the night, which he could also be doing for the gig. So to me it's extra work for no real benefit on my part.

• Moderators

After your last foray with this egotistical clown, I would certainly protest his approach. I would just have told him flat out that he needs to compromise with you on the set list because you do not need to learn a bunch of new material for what is essentially a casual.

The material you posted seems like it needs a full band to really work, and is 'latin' music really such a big deal at teh venue where you are possibly playing? Or is this just the singer's schtick, and he wants it to be 'his' show?

• Members

Tell him you will be playing standards or songs you are familiar with and nothing else. You will NOT learn Latin bull{censored} that you are not familiar with just do he can show off. Keep the gig light. All pros know enough standards to do gigs together, improvise and have fun!

• Members

a professional is capable of wearing many hats comfortably and doind so without drama... when he starts talking just start humming " unforgettable"... insecurity... thats what you is... insecurity... its bad for bizzzzz.... its not really, that your singings bad, its just watching your approach, so sad... maybe if... instead, the world lived outside your head?

Archived