is 2 a band?

the_big_e

• Members

I moved to an area where a lot of music groups play without the components that make a group a band. For me that means you have someone who plays a bass line and a percussionist. You can do that with two people. Google Lee Michaels and Frosty - B3/drums. One of the most enjoyable bands I ever played in had that same format. All the components that you probably think of as a band are there, as opposed to a six-piece American family group up here that has neither, so I have trouble calling it a band.

Somebody's going to bring up tracks. My HS band opened for Little Anthony singing to tracks by himself in 1964. We had a band; he didn't.

• Members

depends

The Jesus and Mary Chain, The White Stripes, shovels and Ropes, Local H, Flat Duo Jets, Morphine, The Black Keys, Simon and Garfunkel, and Garfunkel and Oats :D, Gillian Welch, plays with Dave Rawlings, Death From Above 1979.

I guess these are all bands, but they probably use other musicians to perform live.

• Members

Twenty-One Pilots.

Personally, I don't consider that a "band". You need at least three, preferably four to be a "band". Totally arbitrary. Just my opinion. But plenty of duos you hear on the radio have passed themselves off as a band.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

-ABOUT TIMBUK3-

Critics bowed at the feet of Beck when, in the mid-'90s, he was able to successfully fuse elements of such disparate genres as funk, folk, and retro-rock. Few remembered that several years earlier, husband-and-wife duo Timbuk3 had brought a similar (if more homespun) eclecticism to alternative rock with their programmed drums, willfully clunky rhythms, and lyrics clever enough to rival those of the best singer/songwriters.

Kenneth Bays - All Music Guide

TIMBUK3, best known for their hit song "The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades," enjoyed Top 40 radio success, resulting in multi-album recording contracts, television appearances, magazine features and International touring.

In 1987, TIMBUK3 received a Grammy nomination for Best New Artist. Their unforgettable video was nominated for MTV`s Best New Artist Video. Television appearances included Saturday Night Live, Late Night With Conan Obrien, Austin City Limits, MTV and Solid Gold, among others.

[video=youtube;8qrriKcwvlY]

believe or not the biggest influence on this duo/trio/band/ is solo John Lee Hooker !! ) :)

. He spent hours in his room as a teenager listening and playing to John Lee Hooker which is evident in the way he approaches sound and emotion. After seeing mAcdonald solo, it is easy to see how other instruments might just get in the way of the boogie spook and feelings he nails.

http://www.patmacmusic.com/about_stomp.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_MacDonald_(musician)

• Members

Duo #1 - Lyle Mays/Alex Acuna

Bernie Worrell/Steve Jordan

Got a half dozen responses to a CL ad last week for a drummer. I'd like to add a third chair, but would be happy to play out in this format. Hope to start auditions within the week, given that a lot of rooms book for the whole year in January.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived