25 Ways for Bands to Annoy the Clubs!

• Members

was i nice read, have experienced some of them, the one with the parents happens everywhere, e.g. at the football game etc you name it :)

last time we played as first band of three, after the gig the soundguy complained to me, that no member of the other two bands have thanked him for his effort....

he is a really a nice guy and knows his stuff especially in that venue and made us sound really good that night...

i don't understand people who take everything for granted, but as i don't know any member of the other bands i also haven't said anything to them, i just shook my head

• Members

I recently did a volunteer gig running sound for a benefit with 4 groups. Only one person thanked us for doing the sound and she was the last person I thought would say anything.

the other bands never said anything and a few days after the show, I messaged the band who put it together asking if everything went ok and she said yes, so I guess the night was good.

When my bands play out, we always try to thank the soundperson.

• Members

#5 reminded me of an experience that, while not annoying to the venue but annoying to me. Years ago, I was in an acoustic Christian group in college. Once we had a chance to open for another group. Afterward, I looked over toward the other group's bus and saw a very familiar guitar case. Sure enough, someone was getting ready to load my 12-string acoustic onto their bus.

• Members

karma... i mean, do unto others? people are people despite the words or disguises they use... personally i couldnt imagine picking up an instrument and knowing it could never truly be mine to hold... but im weird...

• Members
You really don't want me leading off this discussion . . . .

I couldn't get through the article. Being a seriously old fart, I can't relate to it. Whatever happened to PROFESSIONAL bands entertaining YOUR clientele??

Hmmm... well...

90% of those things seem to be variations on "the band can't bring their own crowd so they should STFU". Bring your crowd and you can get away with whatever you want. So I didn't feel the need to read the entire article either. Mostly sounded like a lot of venting on the part club management to me.

But he DID expressly exclude cover bands, so even though I'm also an old fart who hasn't done a set of all-originals in close to 25 years at this point, I also know that the "entertain the crowd who is there" thing changes a lot on the original band circuit. Original music venues don't usually HAVE a clientele.

Even 25-30 years ago, it was about trying to find a good slot opening for a better band so you could maybe impress their fans and win some new ones of your own so you could build your fanbase and build your own draw for the next time you played that club. Original-music venues have always been very dependent on the draw of the band. That's true whether you're just starting out or you're the Eagles.

So pissing off the club management? Yeah...never a good idea. But Smart Business and Musicians? Not really two things that have been synonymous.

• Members
karma... i mean' date=' do unto others? people are people despite the words or disguises they use... personally i couldnt imagine picking up an instrument and knowing it could never truly be mine to hold... but im weird...[/quote']

Dunno if this is directed at my post but my take has always been that the person who grabbed my guitar honestly thought it belonged to the other group. I wasn't mad or ready to call the cops, just momentarily annoyed. But yeah, as far as the rest of the article, it does sound like guido61 is on target.

Archived