Just Lost Half Our Summer Gigs

Outkaster

• Members

I just got really bad news this morning. I knew it might happen but this just took the wind out of the sales for this summer. A popular restaurant we started playing at in 2013 closed and was sold. I knew this but was kind of waiting around. We made them and ourselves great money for the last three summers. Another owner of a restaurant in an adjacent town bought it and it took a while to get a hold of them. We were waiting but it was screwing up my booking, printing and tons of people on social media were asking. I finally got a reply from one of the owners:

Dear ,

Thank you for your inquiry and for supplying your personal cell phone number.

In short, we are trying to make a deal come together but it has not happened. It would be premature for us to speak with anyone (customers, performers, employees) without having a firm deal and closing date. We have not contracted for music, booked events, hired employees or made verbal/informal agreements to date. The season is fast approaching and we understand that you must make plans for your summer schedule.

We are aware of your very loyal fan base and the popularity of Sunday music at the North Shore. Please keep your fingers crossed for us but meanwhile, do what is best for your band. Thank you for reaching out and for your support.

Best regards,

What bothers me is that I lost nine gigs that were very profitable for the band. Despite it being wallpaper type of place sometimes it could be great, especially as people drank later in the day. It could get really packed and we got other gigs because of it. I feel like the legs just cut out from under the band.

• Members

Ah that sucks. We've had so many venues close down, stop having live entertainment or move to acoustic duo only that its getting harder and harder to book a full schedule. Hope you can still keep a full schedule eventually.

• Members

In my case this was a restaurant that had been recently taken over and they wanted me to have a Caribbean themed Sunday and play from 2 to 5. We had a small PA that would not carry very well but as the summer of 2013 went on we upgraded and they increased our time 2 to 6. We got a raise at the end of that summer. Every summer they would raise us up another $100.00 also. It got progressively better each summer. The finger lakes here have a lot places to go but not a lot with entertainment so it was a great situation. The restaurant went from about $1500 dollars in sales up to almost 15 grand when we played. I know because I saw the end of day totals from their point of sale systems. Since I posted this I have a feeling they knew they were going to sell two months ago. I wished I had known then it might have been a different summer. Next time I will get a strict contract with the new owners (if it happens) and hi-ball them. I have a feeling the new owners will want to low-ball us and I can't start back from the beginning, we have more than proved our worth. We have 6 musicians and two support staff so I want to make it worth everyone's time.

Archived