"Shut Up And Dance" question

wasjamieb

• Members

So, for those of you covering "Shut Up And Dance": How are you choosing to handle the keys part that follows the solo? It is either a sequenced or arpeggiated pattern, or played in real time. Are you programming it, and playing to a click, playing it live, or omitting it? Inquiring minds want to know...

jamieb

+++++

• Members

Exactly which part are you talking about? The solo on the album is all keys. It's arrangeable on the guitar and sounds fairly good played on the guitar. The rest of the song is primarily guitar based with the exception of the outro which features a repeat of the main theme from the first half of the solo.

We do the song live as a three peice plus a vocalist and I track the muted guitar strumming for the intro. The rest is live.

• Members

If you are talking about the re-intro after the solo.. well- I will get to that- First, I do the solo on guitar, but instead of trying to ramp up the 2nd two measures of the solo, I just repeat the first two and maybe add some pich harmonics if I'm feeling frisky.

For the post-solo, I go into the intro, and the drummer kind of twerks the symbol play and it seems to work.. since there's vocals, all eyes and ears are pretty much on the singer anyways.

• Members

Watching a couple videos of Walk the Moon performing the song, it appears they don't worry about doing that keyboard part live...and it still sounds fine. If the original artist doesn't bother with it, I wouldn't worry about it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Granted, we play it in a mashup against the instrumental of "Hit me with your best shot" but the ONLY thing people care about is the chorus... and you can even add it a softer vocal only chorus at the end building to a full band chorus at the end of the song to lengthen it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
I may end up doing it manually' date=' too. Sounds like arpeggiated chords. I am singing the song, too, so there is a challenge in itself...[/quote']

It's just single notes- E-D-C-D repeated as 16th notes.

Archived